IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What do Muslims think of the Scriptures?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What do Muslims think of the Scriptures?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightingale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do Muslims think of the Scriptures?
    Posted: 11 March 2013 at 6:02pm
Hi everyone.

I've heard it said that Muslims are those who follow all the Prophets and I find in some of your writings, mainly towards Christians you use verses from the Scriptures. But what do you actually think of the Scriptures? Do Muslims believe what's written in the Scriptures? Do you quote to one another from it?
Mahdi The Seeke View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahdi The Seeke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2013 at 4:45am
We believe the Bible has too many mistakes to be the word of God.
Webber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 10:39pm
Mahdi's job is to bring out the ridiculous of the Bible for us all to see. Then we all chuckle at his humourus posts. Sometimes he has a point, but I don't believe it originated from him, just a by-product of being a cynical Muslim, ;) 
I'm a Gentile.
Numb. 6:24-26
Nightingale View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightingale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2013 at 8:14am
I've studied the Bible enough to notice there are inconsistencies no doubt due to man's meddlings. But if the Scriptures were to be entirely abrogated, why would the Quran be it's guardian as Surah Al-Ma'idah 48 says?
Webber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2013 at 7:12am
The Quran "confirms" past scriptures some 26 times. Muslims don't exactly want it to so they believe it's actually talking about some obscure scriptures, (with no errors, of course) that we will never see, even though the scriptures were compiled some 300 yrs earlier.
Besides all the looking up of discrepancies, seeking contradictions, completley missing any points the OT might have, it  keeps Muslims and Christians apart in a manner that I doubt God intended.
My only question is; Why would God mention the obscure 26 times? How can you get guidance and light from something you can never know?

Leaves me looking for the ayat that says God gives in to idle talk on a regular basis. Haven't found it yet.

I'm a Gentile.
Starter.
Starter.

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightingale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2013 at 2:22pm
Personally, I don't believe the Scriptures have been completely abolished, but that they should be read by the light of the Quran. I believe the Quran corrects the Scriptures by revealing the true accounts of events. The stories in the Old Testament were written from a Jewish perspective. And a perspective is not infallible.

However, the Scriptures do not only consist of Writings or stories, but also the books of the various prophets. But unlike the Writings, these are not subject to man's opinions. Instead, the books of the prophets are filled with the words God gave to them. And in the Quran, it says that there isn't anyone who can change or alter Allah's (swt) words.

So even if the stories are inaccurate, God would never allow them to touch the words of His prophets, which if I recall correctly, the Jews placed in a section of their own.

Webber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2013 at 4:49pm
That's cute, lol. The OT written from a Jewish perspective. I'd be thinking any other perspective would be an outsiders perspective.
I'm a Gentile.
Starter.
Starter.

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightingale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2013 at 9:26am
Yeah, well the stories are Israel's experiences and it was written according to what they believed. For example, although they don't give much details, they say that Solomon did evil in the sight of God. But in the Quran, its clear that what they had judged as evil, God had given Solomon permission to do.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic