IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What are people's thoughts on this?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What are people's thoughts on this?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are people's thoughts on this?
    Posted: 09 February 2013 at 8:04am
Assalamu Alaikum,

I was wondering what are people's thoughts on the case of Fayhan Al-Ghamdi.

In December 2011, Fayhan Al-Ghamdi, a preacher in Saudi Arabia who believed that Lama, his 5 year old daughter was not a virgin, chose to punish the child by raping her, beating her with a cane and cables (breaking her back, ribs, left arm and skull) and also burning her. The unfortunate child died last October after several months in the hospital.

Enter the Saudi justice system. After arresting this murderer, he was put in prison to await trial. He was "sentenced" on February 3rd this year. The punishment? He will have to pay a fine to the mother of their child whom he murdered with less mercy than an animal would show... and he has already 'served his time'... which at the most would have been a year and two months in prison. The price for the life of his 5 year old daughter? Fifty thousand dollars. Evidently, this is how much her life was worth.

As a Christian, I do not of course support the death penalty. The guy however should in my view spend the rest of his life behind bars... if he is ever to be released, he should have spent a lot longer than 14 months in prison.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/03/fayhan-al-ghamdi-_n_2610841.html
http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/saudi-arabia/saudi-preacher-gets-light-sentence-for-killing-daughter-1.1141045

"The ruling is based on Saudi laws that a father cannot be executed for murdering his children, nor can husbands be executed for murdering their wives..."

(Gulf News)

I have to admit I find it to be one of the heights of hypocrisy where a person can be executed for leaving Islam and becoming a Christian (or member of any other religion or no religion), but cannot be subjected to such a punishment if he tortures his little daughter to death or kills his wife.

Again, I do not believe in the death penalty and am glad he will not be beheaded. At the same time, I think him being able to walk free after serving a little more than a year in prison (assuming he was arrested as soon as he committed the assault) and having to pay $50,000 is a gross miscarriage of justice.

What do you think?

http://morallowground.com/2012/11/13/saudi-preacher-faihan-al-gameri-arrested-for-torture-death-of-5-year-old-daughter-lamaa/

Fayhan%20al-Ghamdi.
http://www.europe1.fr/International/Il-viole-tue-et-rachete-sa-liberte-1407275/
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2013 at 8:43am
The Saudi Islamic Affairs Ministry had said in November that Al Ghamdi was not an officially sanctioned Islamic preacher. �He is not registered with the ministry and we have no relationship with him in any way,� Shaikh Saleh Bin Abdul Aziz Al Shaikh, the minister, said. �He had committed a heinous crime and he cannot be a preacher. No-one can ever justify his crime.�
http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/saudi-arabia/tougher-verdict-sought-for-preacher-in-rape-case-1.1141634
TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2013 at 11:02am
Originally posted by abuayisha abuayisha wrote:

The Saudi Islamic Affairs Ministry had said in November that Al Ghamdi was not an officially sanctioned Islamic preacher. �He is not registered with the ministry and we have no relationship with him in any way,� Shaikh Saleh Bin Abdul Aziz Al Shaikh, the minister, said. �He had committed a heinous crime and he cannot be a preacher. No-one can ever justify his crime.�
http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/saudi-arabia/tougher-verdict-sought-for-preacher-in-rape-case-1.1141634

Salaam Alaikum, Abuayisha.

Thanks for sharing this. What is your opinion on the sentence imposed?

Is 4 months in prison and a $50,000 payoff a satisfactory penalty for torturing to death a five year old girl?

Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2013 at 11:24am
Just sickening.  My stomach hurts from reading and I have no words.
Money as compensation for gross mistreatment of a child (or any living being, creation of God)?  A man such as this walking free.. free to do again such a heinous thing?  A person has to be demented(possessed of evil) to behave this way.
and what kind of justice allows a person like that to go free?

Edited by Caringheart - 09 February 2013 at 11:31am
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
nospam001 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nospam001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2013 at 12:53pm

By the same token, any so-called Catholic (priest or not) who sexually abuses a child "cannot be" a real one, therefore in no way calls into question the culture, values or ethics of that religion. Hmmm.

Quote He cannot even use the excuse of honour killing, she was only five.
- Mohammed Akbar, Sharjah, United Arab Emirates (Gulf News reader comment, added 11:00 February 5, 2013)

I had to re-read that line a few times just to make sure I got it right.
God has the right to remain silent. For His advocates, however, each resigned shrug is a missed opportunity to win new converts.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2013 at 5:59pm
Well certainly from what we know about this case his punishment is outrageously lenient, however Saudi doesn't have an open judiciary, therefore mitigating circumstances are unknown, as well as factual information.  Below is a Denver case which resulted in the death of child at the hands of her father as well.

Dylan Kuhn & daughter

Dylan%20Kuhn%20&%20daughter

Edited by abuayisha - 09 February 2013 at 6:03pm
TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2013 at 6:17pm

Well certainly from what we know about this case his punishment is outrageously lenient, however Saudi doesn't have an open judiciary, therefore mitigating circumstances are unknown, as well as factual information.  Below is a Denver case which resulted in the death of child at the hands of her father as well.

Dylan Kuhn & daughter

Dylan%20Kuhn%20&%20daughter

Salaam Alaikum.

Thanks for sharing this, Abuayisha. Ninety days in prison is a horrifically short sentence for what he did... how can you slam a baby into the wall???

Saudi Arabia clearly isn't the only nation where the law is miscarried.

I believe that Lamaa and Sailor will spend eternity with God, and they will never again be abused by anyone. May their killers repent and turn to Him for forgiveness while they still can...
nothing View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2013 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by TG12345 TG12345 wrote:

Assalamu Alaikum,

I was wondering what are people's thoughts on the case of Fayhan Al-Ghamdi.

Plain evil act in religious disguise. Considering he is freed- than the system is rotten. My grandmother used to say: Even tigers don't eat their children. Yet sometimes we label some human as such: You animal!, forgetting what we are.

And with that in mind I have to be proud of myself for what I do to my daughters, I am sure I have done the right thing to them as a father, and inshallah I will continue to do so to the end.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic