IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : New Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Not a new muslim, but I feel like one...  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Not a new muslim, but I feel like one...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BintAbuAdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Not a new muslim, but I feel like one...
    Posted: 01 February 2013 at 8:55pm
As salamu alaykum,

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I figured this was a good place to start. I am struggling greatly in my life lately, with my faith and with unhappiness with my employment and other parts of my life. I feel so lost.

I grew up in a home with a non-muslim mother, and a muslim father. Alhamdulillah, they were loving and did the best they could to raise us. But now, as an adult, I realize that there is so little I know, so little that they taught me. And now, trying to be a "good muslim" feels foreign to me, as though I don't really know how to be a "good muslim." I didn't grow up in a muslim community or with muslim peers, and at the masjid or with other muslims, I feel like an outsider, sometimes even unwelcome.   And then with non-muslim friends, I am also an outsider, because I don't do all the things they do. I feel like I have no identity, no connection, and I feel alone.

I don't know what to do?...
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2013 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by BintAbuAdam BintAbuAdam wrote:

As salamu alaykum,

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I figured this was a good place to start. I am struggling greatly in my life lately, with my faith and with unhappiness with my employment and other parts of my life. I feel so lost.

I grew up in a home with a non-muslim mother, and a muslim father. Alhamdulillah, they were loving and did the best they could to raise us. But now, as an adult, I realize that there is so little I know, so little that they taught me. And now, trying to be a "good muslim" feels foreign to me, as though I don't really know how to be a "good muslim." I didn't grow up in a muslim community or with muslim peers, and at the masjid or with other muslims, I feel like an outsider, sometimes even unwelcome.   And then with non-muslim friends, I am also an outsider, because I don't do all the things they do. I feel like I have no identity, no connection, and I feel alone.

I don't know what to do?...

Wa Alaikkum As'alaam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa barakatuhu

If you haven't been praying regularly and at the stipulated times then the best thing for you to do is pronounce the Shahada. Then to begin with implement the five pillars of Islam. Read the Holy Qur'an if you don't know Arabic then a translation of it in a language you understand. Attending the masjid will 'connect' you with your local community. If you have any questions or needs any kind of advise they will be the best people to help you Insha'Allah. Then try to listen to recitations of the Holy Qur'an in Arabic, there are many of these of youtube and it should uplift you spiritually if you are a true believer Insha'Allah.

And remember Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala often in the day.
The closer you are to God the further away satan is.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2013 at 7:11am
Welcome BintAbuAdam! In our religion knowledge proceeds action, so you are wise to ask questions. It is also great that most of the troubles you've mentioned are not constants, moreover, we all experience unhappiness at times. Is it your job you dislike or the work environment? At any rate, take heart, because you can look for a more desirable situation - patience. Volunteering is a great way to integrate yourself into an Islamic community - masjid group, meet people, and learn Islam. I would also suggest, if you're still living at home, to discuss your moral and ethical feelings of isolation with your parents. You are among the fortunate to still have loving parents who are alive, and having raised you from a child, they can offer poignant advise. All the best, and once again, welcome.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic