IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - CHRISTIANS:FORGIVE EVERYBODY THEIR SINS  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CHRISTIANS:FORGIVE EVERYBODY THEIR SINS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahdi The Seeke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CHRISTIANS:FORGIVE EVERYBODY THEIR SINS
    Posted: 27 January 2013 at 1:14am
john 20:19 On the evening of that first day of the week, when the disciples were together, with the doors locked for fear of the Jewish leaders, Jesus came and stood among them and said, �Peace be with you!� 20 After he said this, he showed them his hands and side. The disciples were overjoyed when they saw the Lord.

21 Again Jesus said, �Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.� 22 And with that he breathed on them and said, �Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive anyone�s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.�
bunter View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 3:31am
Originally posted by Mahdi The Seeke Mahdi The Seeke wrote:

john 20:19 On the evening of that first day of the week, when the disciples were together, with the doors locked for fear of the Jewish leaders, Jesus came and stood among them and said, �Peace be with you!� 20 After he said this, he showed them his hands and side. The disciples were overjoyed when they saw the Lord.

21 Again Jesus said, �Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.� 22 And with that he breathed on them and said, �Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive anyone�s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.�

The obvious and plain meaning here is not that Christians have the power to forgive sins but they do have the authority to say that one puts their trust in the atoning work of Jesus then sins are forgiven.
Webber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 10:08am
I wouldn't say that means all Christians. Some may think so...

Jesus breathed on His disciples and they received the Holy Spirit, who, in turn must have the same authority as Jesus did to forgive sins.
Jesus, being the judge on judgement day would be able to forgive sins at any time. I'm sure the Holy Spirit knew the criteria as well.

Let's not talk trinity, but we're obviously not talking Gabriel either.

Forgiveness is a big thing for Christians. The disciples asked Jesus, how many times should we forgive sin, 7 times? Jesus answer was 70 X 7, in other words...don't keep track.

Not being a disciple at the time, I believe my responsibilities take me tis far.
If you have sinned against me, I can forgive you and ask for forgiveness for you, but I cannot put repentance in your heart, and don't have the knowledge to know if it happened or not. I can pray The Lord will send you an angel bearing concience. I can pray any good thing for you. With all that good intension and good will, I cannot see into your heart to see a change, therefore I cannot say your sins are forgiven, only that I've done my best.

There is nothing, nothing biblical/spiritually good about praying for a curse.

I'm a Gentile.
Numb. 6:24-26
nirvana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nirvana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2013 at 10:22am
Originally posted by bunter bunter wrote:

The obvious and plain meaning here is not that Christians have the power to forgive sins but they do have the authority to say that one puts their trust in the atoning work of Jesus then sins are forgiven.

you can make it mean whatever you want.
Mahdi The Seeke View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahdi The Seeke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2013 at 9:39am
Originally posted by bunter bunter wrote:

the plain and obvious thing here is that you deliberately chose to ignore what the verse says and assigned your own unrelated belief to the verse. that you said 'The obvious and plain meaning here is not that Christians have the power to forgive sins' shows you understand the meaning. what you said after shows you are either in denial, delusional or both.
Mahdi The Seeke View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahdi The Seeke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2013 at 9:42am
Originally posted by Webber Webber wrote:

I wouldn't say that means all Christians. Some may think so...
Jesus breathed on His disciples and they received the Holy Spirit, who, in turn must have the same authority as Jesus did to forgive sins.
Jesus, being the judge on judgement day would be able to forgive sins at any time. I'm sure the Holy Spirit knew the criteria as well.
Let's not talk trinity, but we're obviously not talking Gabriel either.
Forgiveness is a big thing for Christians. The disciples asked Jesus, how many times should we forgive sin, 7 times? Jesus answer was 70 X 7, in other words...don't keep track.
Not being a disciple at the time, I believe my responsibilities take me tis far.
If you have sinned against me, I can forgive you and ask for forgiveness for you, but I cannot put repentance in your heart, and don't have the knowledge to know if it happened or not. I can pray The Lord will send you an angel bearing concience. I can pray any good thing for you. With all that good intension and good will, I cannot see into your heart to see a change, therefore I cannot say your sins are forgiven, only that I've done my best.
There is nothing, nothing biblical/spiritually good�about praying for a curse.

why not take Jesus for his word instead of relying on your own personal opinion , conjecture and derived beliefs?
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2013 at 5:19pm
Is there a question here?
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Webber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2013 at 9:38pm
Quote why not take Jesus for his word instead of relying on your own personal opinion , conjecture and derived beliefs?
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

Is there a question here?

You know how some people always end their sentences with a higher pitch like asking a question? Goofy, I know, but ...

Actually I think this is the man that knows everything and once we finish wallowing our conjecture he'll set us all back on the straight path.

Can't wait, :)
I'm a Gentile.
Numb. 6:24-26
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic