IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - can someone answer this question for me  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

can someone answer this question for me

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2013 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by aka2x2 aka2x2 wrote:

Islam starts with:
There is no god except the one God, and Mohammad is his Prophet...
Everything after that is details. Some people choose to get bogged down with the details and some don't.

Greetings aka,

So Islam doesn't require you to follow laws?  Only believe in God and Muhammad and that is enough?  Is that what Muhammad taught?
Thanks and salaam,
Caringheart
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
aka2x2 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka2x2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2013 at 10:33pm
Once a person declares his/her faith, by law and custom, he/she is considered a Muslim. After that, it is up to you and your God to choose where you reside on the spiritual spectrum. Quran tells us Heaven and Hell have many levels. Our thoughts, words and actions determine which level we end up at. Quran also tells us that this life is a test. It is not just a test for Muslims; it is a test for all of humanity. Entering the house of Islam is easy; Passing the test is not... Quran tells us, when God created Man, Satan said he will misdirect Adam and all his descendants. And, Satan predicted that except for a few, the rest of humanity shall be misguided... God told him to go right ahead, and God shall fill Hell with Satan and his followers. However, God will protect those who reach out to Him, believe in Him and act on that belief...
I hope you see why I say Islam is easy... However, I never said life is easy...

PS       We only believe in God. Mohammad was a human being who existed and then died. We love him, admire him and even emulate him, but we don't believe in him. We believe his claim that he was a Prophet and a Messenger from God. By implication we also believe his message (The Quran) is from God.
Respectfully
aka2x2
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 12:08am
Greetings aka,

Thank you again for trying to answer my question but I still have confusion about what you say.

'I believe in God, and that Muhammad is his messenger'
This is what you say to become a muslim, correct?
So you have to believe in Muhammad.  In order to believe in the qu'ran, you have to believe in Muhammad.
In order to be a muslim you have to believe in Muhammad, right?

In other words, is it enough that I believe in the one God and that I am submitted to His will and I live according to His teaching?

and here's the thing, if this is the simplicity of Islam... what, you are saved just by the mere fact that you say you believe in God and Muhammad, and nothing more is required... you have God's blessing regardless now of what you do, simply because you can now be called muslim because you say you believe these two things?  Is that what is meant by the simplicity of Islam, because I thought there was much more to being a muslim.

Thanks and peace to you,
Caringheart

Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
aka2x2 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka2x2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 8:45am
Greetings Caringheart,
I like your screen name... Let me answer your above questions one by one:

1- Yes, you have the correct statement of faith. Anyone who says this statement should be considered a Muslim.

2- No, you do not have to believe in Mohammad. There is a huge difference between believing in Mohammad and believing Mohammad's claim that he was a messenger from God. Believing in Mohammad draws parallel lines with believing in Jesus. Islam does not have such a requirement.

3- No. Believing in God and submitting to His will are necessary conditions for being a Muslim, but they are not sufficient. You have to believe in The Message (Quran) to be a Muslim. Many books/documents/speeches/etc claim to be "God's Teachings". They are not qualitatively the same.

4- No, you are not "saved" by saying you believe in God and Mohammad. Islam does not have the concept of "being saved". You become a Muslim be saying the statement of faith, however, you are not guaranteed salvation. Salvation comes by living according to that statement. becoming a Muslim is neither sufficient nor necessary for going to heaven; it just helps us find our path better.

5- Every living creature on Earth enjoys God's blessings regardless of being a Muslim or not. However, God will test every man according to what He has given him, and every people according to their "path". Islam is the path of the Muslim Nation, and we shall be tested and judged according to it.
Respectfully
aka2x2
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 10:50am
Greetings aka,

I appreciate your patience with me.

As regards your statement;
"No, you do not have to believe in Mohammad"

What then does, 'I believe in God and that Muhammad is His messenger', mean, if not a statement of belief in Muhammad?  It is saying that you believe that Muhammad is a messenger of God.  This says that you believe in Muhammad and in anything Muhammad says.  You have to believe in a person to believe what they say.  You do have to believe in Muhammad to believe in the qu'ran.

"1- Yes, you have the correct statement of faith. Anyone who says this statement should be considered a Muslim. "
"Believing in God and submitting to His will are necessary conditions for being a Muslim, but they are not sufficient."

These two statements are contradictory to me.
What exactly does it mean to be a muslim, because according to the first statement, it seems it doesn't mean much, and according to the second statement it seems that it does mean much more than a simple statement of faith.
Sorry, I am still very confused.  Which is fine.  I don't have to understand your faith.  I just wonder why it is said that islam is simple when I find nothing simple about it.  So I wanted to understand what that statement means to muslims themselves... How do they consider Islam to be simple.  Do they consider Islam to be simple?   I want to understand people. Smile

What does it mean,
"Salvation comes by living according to that statement"?
Salvation comes by belief in God?  That I believe, because if we believe in God, then we will seek His ways, and it is His ways that save us.  However, I do not need Muhammad to find God's ways. (I think the arab people needed Muhammad to find God's ways)  God has been leading His creation in many ways, however, ever since the time of Adam and Eve, if we sought Him.

Here's my point;
If,
"Salvation comes by living according to that statement",
does it make a difference whether or not you are technically called 'muslim', as long as you are
"living according to that statement"?  Living according to belief in the one God.
If muslim means submitted to God's will... aren't there many who are submitted to God's will without calling themselves 'muslim'?  I am submitted to God's will.  That should technically make me a muslim, even though I do not believe in, or follow Muhammad.  I follow Jesus.  Muhammad acknowledged that Jesus came to lead people to God, and Moses and all the other prophets came to lead people to God.  Therefore if we live in the way these prophets taught we are belonging to God.  To me that should be the 'simple' truth.

Salaam,
Caringheart

Edited by Caringheart - 28 January 2013 at 11:12am
Blessed be God forever
Rational View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 11:54am
السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

You can't be a muslim if you don't believe in the messenger of Allah, Mohammad (pbuh), the seal of all the prophets. The Quran is clear.

"Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah. Those who are with him are harsh against the unbelievers but merciful to one another." (48:29)

"Muhammad is not the father of any of your men. He is the Messenger of Allah and the Seal of the Prophets. Allah has knowledge of all things."
(33:40)

Edited by Rational - 28 January 2013 at 12:05pm
الله
Rational View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 1:07pm
Understanding the meaning of the word "Fitrah", should help.

http://www.missionislam.com/knowledge/DefinitionFitrah.htm
http://www.missionislam.com/knowledge/Fitrahmaintain.htm

"So direct your face toward the religion, inclining to truth. [Adhere to] the fitrah of Allah upon which He has created [all] people. No change should there be in the creation of Allah. That is the correct religion, but most of the people do not know." (30:30)

We are all born with Fitrah from God. By becoming muslims we are living in compliance with our Fitrah. We are living the way we should, the way we are created to. Spiritually, mentally, physically, socially, everything... All the boxes are ticked because God knows what's best for us.

Edited by Rational - 28 January 2013 at 1:58pm
الله
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 3:55pm
Greetings Rational,

Fitrah seems to be similar to,

19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.

This inward knowing of God that we are born with.  Does that sound correct?

Salaam, Caringheart

Edited by Caringheart - 28 January 2013 at 3:55pm
Blessed be God forever
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic