IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Final Hurdle of becoming a Muslim is  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Final Hurdle of becoming a Muslim is

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 21>
Author
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nospam001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2013 at 12:17am

I presume Rational is not serious when he equates people to lifeless plasticine figures in a child's game.

Judging from the lack of any serious response, I have to conclude that my questions have been overtaken by other topics, or simply misunderstood. It's not as though there is anything new or unfamiliar about their source, so it follows that a relevant tafsir must exist, somewhere out there.

To repeat: For some people (including me) 'justice' is very much about whether the punishment fits the crime, regardless of who is in charge. Rational seems to be saying we are naive, and that true justice is defined as whatever pleases the boss. In this respect he is not alone.
Quote Allah's justice is intrinsically different from human justice...It is meaningless to ask whether He is just, because His judgement is what justice is.
- Sheikh Nuh Keller, 2008 Suffering and Divine Wisdom

I'm sure you'd all laugh your socks off supposing I said "blue is the colour of something that is blue". But, if Keller is correct, then it is equally meaningless to claim that "Allah is just".

Does that reflect how most Muslims feel about justice, generally?
God has the right to remain silent. For His advocates, however, each resigned shrug is a missed opportunity to win new converts.
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2013 at 2:16am
Originally posted by nospam001 nospam001 wrote:

I presume Rational is not serious when he equates people to lifeless plasticine figures in a child's game.

Judging from the lack of any serious response, I have to conclude that my questions have been overtaken by other topics, or simply misunderstood. It's not as though there is anything new or unfamiliar about their source, so it follows that a relevant tafsir must exist, somewhere out there.

Mr. Spammer I think I've told you once before that you are a waste of space. You do not have guidnace nor understanding nor knowledge. What's sad about you is that we give you examples but you are not willing to take it on board because you are happy being an agnositic whatever that means. I've also said before that you try to act clever but you are only being clever to yourself.
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2013 at 8:26am
Greetings nospam,

I tried reading that article but is it just me...
it had me feeling like I was being talked around in circles.
Maybe it is just too early in the day for me... Ermm

Caringheart
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Rational View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2013 at 6:04pm
Assalamo alaikom, goday mate :)

I am serious when I use plasticine figures in place of people. I identify both as being a creation. They are both created and owned by a creator. It's irrelevant what attributes or qualities they have. Let's assume that the figures had immortal souls. Would this reduce the authority that their creator has over them? No, because he gave them those immortal souls. They exist because of him. He owns them. They don't own themselves. If they did, they would have control over the beginning and end of their existence. So whether they have immortal souls or not, this doesn't influence the ownership of the creator over their destiny.

I think it also takes faith to accept that "Allah is just". This is why it's easy for me, a believer, to decide on this issue. Because I submit to His will. I therefore obey and accept His will, whatever it may be, regardless of what I think. Because I recognise Him to be the Creator, the Sustainer, the Judge, the Arbitrator, the Wise, the Utterly Just. And so I wouldn't dare question Him on "whether the punishment fits the crime". On the other hand, a non believer doesn't submit to Him and so finds it wrong, or not just.

God instructed Ibraheem (as) to sacrifice his son. Was this just? Ibraheem was confused, nevertheless he was willing to obey because he submits to the will of God. And just before he carried out this task, he heard a voice telling him not to worry, and that he had passed a difficult test. God teaches us a lesson that He (subhanaho wa ta'ala) has complete authority over us, regardless of what we think.

Quote Allah's justice is intrinsically different from human justice...It is meaningless to ask whether He is just, because His judgement is what justice is.

That's exactly how I feel. It's what I'm trying to say in a nutshell. Thanks for sharing the link.
الله
nospam001 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nospam001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2013 at 12:33am
Originally posted by Rational Rational wrote:

That's exactly how I feel. It's what I'm trying to say in a nutshell. Thanks for sharing the link.
Hi Rational. My pleasure. It's a very impressive bit of writing, yes? And thanks for your thoughtful reply.
Quote I think it also takes faith to accept that "Allah is just". This is why it's easy for me, a believer, to decide on this issue. Because I submit to His will. I therefore obey and accept His will, whatever it may be, regardless of what I think. Because I recognise Him to be the Creator, the Sustainer, the Judge, the Arbitrator, the Wise, the Utterly Just. And so I wouldn't dare question Him on "whether the punishment fits the crime". On the other hand, a non believer doesn't submit to Him and so finds it wrong, or not just.
I'm glad to see that you have no problem understanding why a non-believer 'finds it wrong, or not just'. That's good enough for me. It reinforces my hunch that an ancient tafsir would have been sure to discuss this very specific quibble; i.e. I'm not wasting my time hoping to find one eventually.
God has the right to remain silent. For His advocates, however, each resigned shrug is a missed opportunity to win new converts.
Rational View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2013 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

I think Muhammad misunderstood the scriptures

Mohammad (pbuh) has 1.57 billion followers and increasing.

How many do you have?

Edited by Rational - 07 February 2013 at 11:26am
الله
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2013 at 11:51am

Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

I think Muhammad misunderstood the scriptures

Mohammad (pbuh) has 1.57 billion followers and increasing.

How many do you have?

13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

15 Beware of false prophets... 
(the words of Jesus)

I do not think we are measured in numbers of followers of man's religion.
I am one person and I do not have followers, I am a follower... of God and His laws... of what Jesus taught.

Salaam,
Caringheart

Edited by Caringheart - 08 February 2013 at 9:22am
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
nospam001 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nospam001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2013 at 12:24am

I accept that for Muslims the comforting notion of human justice is totally meaningless in this special context. Do you think maybe something has been lost in translation? In the Arabic text, was there a different word for Allah(), one which always gets mistranslated into English as plain old "just"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 21>
  Share Topic