IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Final Hurdle of becoming a Muslim is  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Final Hurdle of becoming a Muslim is

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 21>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2013 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by nospam001 nospam001 wrote:

Originally posted by Rational Rational wrote:

So if you don't believe that He exists, what do you believe? Do you believe it's more probable that everything evolved?
I gather you acknowledge the apparent injustice, but would rather discuss a different topic right now?

Maybe you acknowledge that but I don't because I believe He exists and so He can do whatever He wants with His creation.

So what do you believe then?
الله
nospam001 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nospam001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2013 at 7:26pm

Maybe you acknowledge that but I don't because I believe He exists and so He can do whatever He wants with His creation.

So what do you believe then?

I believe that a God who chooses to handicap people and then punishes them for being handicapped must have a different set of values from those normally ascribed to Him.

God has the right to remain silent. For His advocates, however, each resigned shrug is a missed opportunity to win new converts.
Rational View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2013 at 2:24am

I believe that a God who chooses to handicap people and then punishes them for being handicapped must have a different set of values from those normally ascribed to Him.

In general, What are your thoughts on how everything came to being? Are you more Creation or more Evolution.

I just want to know how an Agnostic thinks.

Edited by Rational - 21 January 2013 at 2:46am
الله
nospam001 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nospam001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2013 at 2:16pm

In general, What are your thoughts on how everything came to being? Are you more Creation or more Evolution.

"When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do sir?" (attributed to John Maynard Keynes).

There's a good intro on Wikipedia. For me personally, I'd rate myself about a 5 on Dawkins' 7-point scale. More evolution than Creation but, like Keynes and J B S Haldane, my views could change tomorrow.

Now, if we could get back to the 'apparent injustice' thing...

I now see what you mean. (I think.) Supposing the word 'justice' is defined to include 'any act or omission of God', then any 'apparent injustice' would instantly disappear in a puff of semantics.

While we're at it, other familiar-sounding words like 'consistent', 'truthful', 'forgiving' and 'caring' may be said to apply to God by definition, regardless of His choices.

A sentence such as "God is just" may sound comforting to the proles but conveys no actual information, once you've read the disclaimer. Brilliant!

God has the right to remain silent. For His advocates, however, each resigned shrug is a missed opportunity to win new converts.
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2013 at 4:42am

"When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do sir?" (attributed to John Maynard Keynes).

There's a good intro on Wikipedia. For me personally, I'd rate myself about a 5 on Dawkins' 7-point scale. More evolution than Creation but, like Keynes and J B S Haldane, my views could change tomorrow.

I now see what you mean. (I think.) Supposing the word 'justice' is defined to include 'any act or omission of God', then any 'apparent injustice' would instantly disappear in a puff of semantics.

While we're at it, other familiar-sounding words like 'consistent', 'truthful', 'forgiving' and 'caring' may be said to apply to God by definition, regardless of His choices.

A sentence such as "God is just" may sound comforting to the proles but conveys no actual information, once you've read the disclaimer. Brilliant!

Why are you breathing God's precious air? Shouldn't you be grateful to Him?

So you think you are born by chance in a universe which came into existance by chance? You sure are taking a big chance.
Rational View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2013 at 10:02am

I'd rate myself about a 5 on Dawkins' 7-point scale. More evolution than Creation

So currently you think it's more plausible that everything was created by chance, bish bash bosh and we have everything. Ok.

I have an example. Tell me what you think. A child is given some plasticine and begins to create several figures. He decided that a couple of them are not to his liking and so chooses to put them into the recycling bin. Is this 'apparent injustice' to those unfortunate figures? He owns them and created them so it's his business what he does with them and no one has the right to tell him anything. If anyone shares their opinion with him by saying he is unfair, it's not incumbent upon him to answer.

What do you think?
nospam001 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nospam001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2013 at 1:51pm

I have an example. Tell me what you think. A child is given some plasticine and begins to create several figures. He decided that a couple of them are not to his liking and so chooses to put them into the recycling bin. Is this 'apparent injustice' to those unfortunate figures? He owns them and created them so it's his business what he does with them and no one has the right to tell him anything. If anyone shares their opinion with him by saying he is unfair, it's not incumbent upon him to answer.
I appreciate your choice of analogy. Before I can respond, however, there are some details that need to be clarified.

1  Did the child damage some of the plasticine figures?
2. If yes, was it on purpose, just so they would be 'not to his liking'?
3. Does each plasticine figure also have an immortal soul?
4. Will there be eternal suffering for the 'recycled' figures?
5. Is the child fully aware of all these facts?
6. Does he generally appear to know right from wrong?

What I think depends very much on these details.

[EDIT: Before today, I was able to post directly to this thread. Alas, not any more. How about you?]

Edited by nospam001 - 22 January 2013 at 11:16pm
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2013 at 6:49pm

I appreciate your choice of analogy. Before I can respond, however, there are some details that need to be clarified.

1  Did the child damage some of the plasticine figures?
2. If yes, was it on purpose, just so they would be 'not to his liking'?
3. Does each plasticine figure also have an immortal soul?
4. Will there be eternal suffering for the 'recycled' figures?
5. Is the child fully aware of all these facts?
6. Does he generally appear to know right from wrong?

What I think depends very much on these details.

[EDIT: Before today, I was able to post directly to this thread. Alas, not any more. How about you?]

They've probably taken away your privilege because you are a waste of space and a duck.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 21>
  Share Topic