IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Can We Live a Good Life?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can We Live a Good Life?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al-Warraq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can We Live a Good Life?
    Posted: 07 January 2013 at 10:43am

Is it true that no one can live a good life in this world? So that the life of the believer will only be patience with this life and its tests?

My feeling tells me that God doesn't abandon his slaves. Who is walking on the path of God and surrendered themselves to Him, God will be with them. God has promised the believers with a good life in this world, not only in the hereafter : {whoever does righteousness, whether male or female, while he is a believer-We will surely cause him to live a good life} {whoever is careful of (his duty to) God, He will make for him a way out, and provide for him from where he does not expect, Whoever puts his trust in God, He shall suffice him} The Quran.

We can see that in the stories of the prophets. If you see what happened to the prophets you'll know that God didn't abandon his slaves. God didn't abandon Josef for example, it's true that had been thrown into a well and entered prison, but let's not forget that he made up his mind to advance to the woman who tried to seduce him and that has its retribution. Those adversities are tests from God, but the end is always best for the pious in this life and the hereafter. 

The prophet Muhammad in the battle of Badr was scared, because they were only planning to attack a caravan and didn't expect to find the whole army of Quraish. However, God replaced their fear with security and peace and they defeated Quraish.

The Issue is tied, and tied with a delicate bond. I see this in myself, that the more I'm pure in the inside and close to God the more life becomes good and easy. And if I taint this purity and move away from God I see the effect of that in everything around me, like being followed by bad luck. That is why I started to fear my sins because I know they'll eat me from the inside.   

Moses peace be upon him had gone through horrors, he entered the pharaoh's castle and mocked his religion, even though his status is bad, because he's not an Egyptian, killed an Egyptian, doesn't speak clearly and has no one on his side except his brother, but did God abandon him? 

Notice that even prophets encounter problems as a result of their mistakes. Look at the harsh lesson Moses took when was asked: who is the most knowledgeable on Earth? And he said: No one is more knowledgeable than me. Look at how difficult his situation is when Alkhidr dealt with him and addressed him as he addresses someone who knows nothing, even though Moses is a prophet! Also look at the Quran's admonition for the prophet Muhammad and how harsh it is.   

It's impossible that there is no way to live a good life in this world. Doesn't everything has a solution? Notice how Abraham peace be upon him was never harmed even though he's among enemies, even the fire they sparked to burn him didn't harm him.

It's not only that God preserves them from harm, we also see that God treats them with warm-heartedness and love, like the pumpkin tree God had put to keep the prophet Jonah's body from cold, for he had came out of the sea feeling cold, and God had put the tree to hug him with its leaves and cover him from cold and humidity, He didn't only save him from the whale.

The prophet Josef peace be upon him became a minister after he came out of prison, and his brother was with him {thus did We plan for the sake of Josef}. Why was his brother with him? Because Josef loves him and feels safe with him. Have you seen the Godly kindness? Josef gets out of prison to have the state within his hands, his brother with him, and his mother and father prostrate before him, have you seen the extreme kindness?

The Quran says that if a punishment was to come it only comes to wrongdoers who didn't care about the path of righteousness, and not to honest believers {We sent a sandstorm against them, except the family of Lut, whom We saved at the break of dawn}. Also, Ishmael wasn't sacrificed, he was ransomed with a great sacrifice, and the name of Ishmael and Abraham remained immortal and their enemies were forgotten except those mentioned in the context of the story of Abraham. Those who were looked down upon by others God made them the most dignified. {indeed, your enemy is the one cut off} and here is the name of the prophet Muhammad repeated five times a day across the globe.

In this moment and in every moment there is someone who prays for the prophet, and his name is mentioned in the call for prayer (Adhan), not the name of those who hated him from Quraish. While who said he'll be cut off because he has no children are the ones who were cut off. Actually, is there any one whose name is mentioned like Muhammad? He is considered the most influencing character in history!

Notice when Solomon peace be upon him said : {My Lord, forgive me and grant me a kingdom such as will not belong to anyone after me}, did he imagine that the jinns, wind, and birds will be part of his kingdom? No, he was imagining a normal kingdom, because he can't imagine that the wind will carry him or that the birds will talk to him or that the jinn will work for him, i.e. he didn't only become king of humans but also animals, jinns, and even insects. Reflect upon the divine giving, it's something you don't expect { And will provide for him from where he does not expect}, God's giving isn't like the giving of humans. At the same time God will not let your faith go to waste, even when you have mistaken and sinned God doesn't abandon you and doesn't neglect your faith { Allah was not going to make your faith to be fruitless }, and yet atheists say that God is cruel and merciless!

Look how God treats His prophets to see how merciful and warm-hearted He is. Notice the aged Zackary who {prayed to His Lord in secret}, he prayed to God not to leave him alone with no children even though he's old and his wife is barren, and yet she becomes pregnant and gives birth. This means that God answers the call of the honest and righteous people. God is loving and forgiving, and also his grip and strong, and the matter is in your hands. You decide what your relationship with God is like, do you continue on the path of slavery to God or do you stop at a certain point? 

One of the righteous people once said that he sees the effect of his sin in his ride and childe, and that's is true. From my experience, if you honestly asked for forgiveness this effect wears away. Look when the prophets glorified God and asked for His forgiveness the effect of the sin immediately went away, as in the story of Jonah who went away in anger, { had he not been of those who glorify God, he would have remained inside its belly until the Day of Resurrection }.

The prophet Muhammad usedto ask God for forgiveness more than a hundred times per day. Asking God's forgiveness isn't mere utterances, it's a return to God. So seek God's forgiveness as soon as you find yourself doing a bad deed, {And those who, if they commit a shameful act or some wrong against themselves, remember God and seek forgiveness for their sins}. We need to constantly ask the refuge of God to protect us from falling into sin, and we need to ask for His forgiveness for the bad things we did or thought about. The Devil starts with an idea or an image to end with an act.

Who didn't surrender his life to God doesn't understand those meanings. Who doesn't believe in God or is ignorant of faith might imagine that Muslims can sin all they like and God will take care of forgiving those sins as soon as they ask for forgiveness. However, when a true Muslim commits a sin he has actually deviated from the path of slavery to God a little, and his quest for forgiveness is a return to this whole path and not only from this particular sin he committed, he's asking to forgive being away from Him. God said: { And those who, if they commit a shameful act or some wrong against themselves, remember God and seek forgiveness for their sins} i.e they did it while being away from God. As for who intentionally do bad deeds and then ask for forgiveness afterwards: {repentance is not of those who constantly commit sins, and when death approaches one of them, he says, �I repent now"} this isn't what seeking forgiveness is.

Repentance is for who have intended to live their whole life for God, and if deviated from this path they immediately ask for forgiveness and return to it. This person feels afraid and regretful when s/he asks for forgiveness. The Arabic word "estegfar" which -means asking forgiveness- came from the word "tagfeer" which means: to bury, as if it's one bad thing that you want to bury while the rest is good. You can't ask for forgiveness for a life path you chose, you can't say : God I've chosen my life path to be a selfish materialist so forgive me this sin! The whole issue is about your choice for your path in life. God forgives those who are on the right path but made a mistake and then regretted it. In other words, what this believer did is that he refuses to have this evil as his/her life path so they seek forgiveness to return to their original path. And this person isn't like who sins all he likes and then says: when I grow old and sick I'll go to Mecca and repent there! When life was about to leave he said I'll repent!     

The bet is on life }my prayers and my sacrifices, and my living and my dying are all for God, the Lord Of The Creation{. You can't say that that person is repentant, it's life that left him, i.e had life been a little longer he wouldn't have repented. This is like the person who takes your car and plays around with it even though you wanted it and asked him to give it back, and when its fuel is about to finish he comes back and says : I came to give it back as you asked! This is a foolish and snaky act.

Slavery to God doesn't only mean that you get beaten and be tortured for the sake of God. Slavery to God is to know God in prosperity so that he knows you in adversity, so know God in your good times and they'll continue : {whoever fears God-God will create for him a way out}. Dealing with God is built on morality, and who repent after life left them aren't acting morally, because they gave God their attention when the most important thing to them has or almost went away which is life.

We should have a wondering philosophical spirit and meditate what happens around and not marginalize it just because it has happened.  

Edited by icforumadmin - 07 January 2013 at 10:33pm
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2013 at 7:02pm
Assalamualiakum wa rahmtullah wa barkatuhu,

Thank you for these thoughts. May Allah reward you much for sharing.
Thank you specially for reminding us of repentance and its true meaning before Allah.

Just want to make a small comment, with no intention to undermine the positive thoughts you have transpired about having a good life.

Good and bad about life is not by the standards we might have - or by the yardstick of todays concept of "quality of life".

I have heard from my teachers that we should not feel safe with Allah if times are good, rather self introspection at all times is necessary exercise for a believer. Just because we are feeling happy, safe and comfortable does not mean we might be doing okay in the eyes of God. This is why we are taught to seek forgives in all times.

On the other hand, just because times are bad (in our personal or social estimation of good and bad times)does not mean God is angry. Trials and tribulations are a part of this life. Every prophet went through trials in his life. The closer the slave, the tougher is the test of his metal with God.
To have a good opinion of Allah in times of difficulty is a the acid test ... the prophets and messengers of God did not leave hope even in their most trying times.
When Joanah was swallowed by the fish, he still continued to keep a high and good opinion of His creator.

We must not forget that some people do end the journey of this world in difficulty. But they have a recompense in next life. We might not always get the 'hasanat of duniya' though we are taught in the Quran to pray for it.
Wife of Pharoah, queen of Egypt - whose father and husband both were kings of Egypt, her life ended in great torture. Her status with Allah, and her recompense in next life is undoubtedly great.
Khadijah - mother of believers died of illness as a result of sanctions and attrocities of the quraysh on the family of prophet (salaallahu alaihe wasallam).
The attrocities and massacare of Yazeed on the direct blood line of muhammad (sallallahu alaihe wasallam) -was a trial for them in this life.

It is depressing to know how some the true believers of God have passed their days in this life. There are many muslims today who are living under torture, injustice and oppression. Quality of life might be bad for them from the standards of those who are in comfort, pleasure, health and affluence - but Allah only knows who is the best of slaves.

<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2013 at 7:04pm
forgot to say,
Welcome to Islamicity. May you have a pleasant stay!
<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
Al-Warraq View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al-Warraq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2013 at 8:38am
Originally posted by Nausheen Nausheen wrote:

Assalamualiakum wa rahmtullah wa barkatuhu,

Thank you for these thoughts. May Allah reward you much for sharing.
Thank you specially for reminding us of repentance and its true meaning before Allah.

Just want to make a small comment, with no intention to undermine the positive thoughts you have transpired about having a good life.

Good and bad about life is not by the standards we might have - or by the yardstick of todays concept of "quality of life".

I have heard from my teachers that we should not feel safe with Allah if times are good, rather self introspection at all times is necessary exercise for a believer. Just because we are feeling happy, safe and comfortable does not mean we might be doing okay in the eyes of God. This is why we are taught to seek forgives in all times.

On the other hand, just because times are bad (in our personal or social estimation of good and bad times)does not mean God is angry. Trials and tribulations are a part of this life. Every prophet went through trials in his life. The closer the slave, the tougher is the test of his metal with God.
To have a good opinion of Allah in times of difficulty is a the acid test ... the prophets and messengers of God did not leave hope even in their most trying times.
When Joanah was swallowed by the fish, he still continued to keep a high and good opinion of His creator.

We must not forget that some people do end the journey of this world in difficulty. But they have a recompense in next life. We might not always get the 'hasanat of duniya' though we are taught in the Quran to pray for it.
Wife of Pharoah, queen of Egypt - whose father and husband both were kings of Egypt, her life ended in great torture. Her status with Allah, and her recompense in next life is undoubtedly great.
Khadijah - mother of believers died of illness as a result of sanctions and attrocities of the quraysh on the family of prophet (salaallahu alaihe wasallam).
The attrocities and massacare of Yazeed on the direct blood line of muhammad (sallallahu alaihe wasallam) -was a trial for them in this life.

It is depressing to know how some the true believers of God have passed their days in this life. There are many muslims today who are living under torture, injustice and oppression. Quality of life might be bad for them from the standards of those who are in comfort, pleasure, health and affluence - but Allah only knows who is the best of slaves.

Wa alaikum assalam wa rahmatu Allah.

Thanks for your comment.. but do we understand from it that the good life is only in the hereafter? But the Quran didn't specify that.

By the good life I don't mean a wealthy life with no pains from others or from crises. The good life of the believer doesn't have the pains caused by the evil of the self which are the most difficult. God said: {whoever turns away from My remembrance - indeed, he will have a depressed life} i.e. in this life, {and We will gather him on the Day of Resurrection blind} i.e. in the hereafter. So, who remembers God will he have a depressed life like who turns away from Him? Of course not. God said: {Verily in the remembrance of God do hearts find rest} and having the heart at rest is the good life. It's not by how much you have in your bank account, and this is evidenced by the millions who have committed suicide due to their psychological, social and intellectual depression, and not because of economic depression. Also, the effect of the pains is not the same, positivity and optimism with God is greater, the alternatives are more, and fear of death is less, God said: {O serene soul! Return to your Lord well-pleased, well-pleasing} i.e. it was serene and satisfied in this life.

The slave who surrendered his life to God isn't abnormally terrified from God, because God isn't unjust in the least to his creatures, God said : {what will God gain by punishing you}. God isn't ignorant of some facts so we might fear that he will unknowingly harm us. God is whom we should feel safe with since he's our Guardian, the all-knowing, Most-merciful, Capable, and Clement. If we don�t feel safe with Him then whom can we feel safe with? However, we do fear for this beautiful relationship to be tarnished by sins, i.e. we feel afraid when we are distant from God, just like when a lover fears making his beloved feel angry, and our fear of God's contempt and punishment increases when we are seduced by evil.

Our fear of God differs according to the situation we're in. When we are about to commit a sin, it's reasonable to be afraid of God and His punishment. But if we avoid the major sins and indecencies and surrendered our life to God, our fear will be from being deprived from this happiness of being close to God. In dealing with our beloved we are afraid of ignoring him/her which will make them ignore us, but we fear their retaliation if we intended to harm or betray them. God said about the honest believers: {those will have security, and they are [rightly] guided}, and in this verse God didn't specify that their security will only be in the hereafter. Logically speaking, when you are close and obey your beloved this must make you feel safe with them, it's not like when you ignore them or be hostile with them. And since God is the Capable and you did everything you could do after you intended to please Him, then there should �in return- be security even if it wasn't perfect security, because our actions aren't perfect and our life isn't over yet. Thus, the believer reap the fruits of belief in this life before the hereafter. Why are the health and psychology stats on the side of believers in God more than atheists? Of course because of this percentage of security within which varies from one situation to another.

Thank you for your nice comment.

fiqhenglish View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fiqhenglish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2013 at 12:37am
thank you for these thoughts
Muhammadjaved View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muhammadjaved Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2013 at 6:26am
Allah enables us to lead a good life in this world and in the hereinafter. By a good life I hope you do not mean, lot of money, glamour and no moral and social responsibilities.

Allah provides us with sustenance, and a home to live so that we can survive. But it is not fair to expect lavish living and having friendship with pretty women. Muslims are allowed to marry, own a reasonably good house and save money for future. But we are at the same required to spend on the poor and needy, even in preference to our own needs.
A dirham spent in the way of Allah always brings its reward manyfold. Prophet Muhammad (SAW) has guaranteed that a Riyal spent in the way of Allah (like jihad or help of family or neighborhood), is always returned many fold in this world and in the hereinafter.

Thus Islamic good life is life of a good student who passes each and every test and is promoted to next class.
There is no limit to progress of man; Allah's best creature.

Muhammad Javed Iqbal
W.S. View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2013 at 8:35am
Originally posted by Al-Warraq Al-Warraq wrote:

Look how God treats His prophets to see how merciful and warm-hearted He is.
What about here and now? What about the famine in Somalia? What about the men, women and children who are being slaughtered in Syria? Are they wrongdoers? What about the infants in Fallujah, Iraq, who are born highly disfigured because of the phosphorus in certain bombs? Will they have a good life in this world? Probably not. It seems to me you're living in a fantasy world.
Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2013 at 12:04am
I would like to second W.S.'s comment and add mine.
IMO the good life ought to be an examplary life of a person or people living amongst great societies for others to see and emulate. A good life without the strenghth of character of person and society without rule of law wouldn't be some thing to discuss. Actions speak louder than words, Muslims inhabited areas are on the top the list in corruption. Anyone could check it out on Transparency.org. CPI used by this organization may not tell the whole story but where there is smoke there is fire. And Muslims have played with fire for pretty long time. The so called Muslim populated countries top the porn searches in the cyber world and it was in the news Pakistan tops it all. I think it speaks volumes about a country created out of Subcontinent for the good life of the Muslims.

Edited by Sign*Reader - 08 March 2013 at 12:22am
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic