IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Books revealed by God to Muhammad  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Books revealed by God to Muhammad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Books revealed by God to Muhammad
    Posted: 15 January 2013 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by TG12345 TG12345 wrote:

Salaam Alaikum Abu Loren,

I asked you an example from the Quran where adulterers are sentenced to stoning, you provided with me with tafsir Ibn Kathir.

This is the verse:

Those who commit unlawful sexual intercourse of your women - bring against them four [witnesses] from among you. And if they testify, confine the guilty women to houses until death takes them or Allah ordains for them [another] way. 4:15

Please show me where the word "stoning" is found in the above verse. Was Muhammad making his judgement based on the Quran, or on Ibn Kathir's interpretation of it? 4:15 says to confine adulteresses to their homes until they die, or until God finds a better way.

I don't see stoning mentioned anywhere, do you?

Originally posted by Abu Loren Abu Loren wrote:

Wa Alaikkum

What do you think 'until death takes them' mean? Starve to death?

Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala has always decreed stoning for adultery as it is a great sin. That rule has not been abrogated. So it still stands, hence the Prophet (SalAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) followed that ruling.

I don't know what 'until death take them' means, the text does not say.

Even if we were to assume that 'until death take them' means death by stoning, Muhammad would still not have followed the Quran because he gave no order to confine the woman to the house before death (according to you, death by stoning) overtook her.

Those who commit unlawful sexual intercourse of your women - bring against them four [witnesses] from among you. And if they testify, confine the guilty women to houses until death takes them or Allah ordains for them [another] way. 4:15

Where in Muhammad's judgement did he order Unais to confine the woman to her house before executing her? Where is there any evidence that Unais did do this?

Furthermore, why is there a verse in the Quran stating clearly that fornicaters are to be whipped, while not stating that adulterers are to be stoned? 24:2 states that fornicaterers and fornicatresses are to be given 100 stripes. There is no verse explicitly stating that adulterers should be stoned.

24:2

(As for) the fornicatress and the fornicator, flog each of them, (giving) a hundred stripes, and let not pity for them detain you in the matter of obedience to Allah, if you believe in Allah and the last day, and let a party of believers witness their chastisement

http://quran.com/24/2

What I find very interesting is that the Yusuf Ali Quran translation (the Quran version I am reading) states this punishment applies to both fornicaterers and adulterers.

The woman and the man guilty of adultery or fornication,- flog each of them with a hundred stripes: Let not compassion move you in their case, in a matter prescribed by Allah, if ye believe in Allah and the Last Day: and let a party of the Believers witness their punishment.

http://quran.com/24/2

Edited by TG12345 - 15 January 2013 at 3:34pm
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2013 at 12:27pm

I asked you an example from the Quran where adulterers are sentenced to stoning, you provided with me with tafsir Ibn Kathir.

This is the verse:

Please show me where the word "stoning" is found in the above verse. Was Muhammad making his judgement based on the Quran, or on Ibn Kathir's interpretation of it? 4:15 says to confine adulteresses to their homes until they die, or until God finds a better way.

Wa Alaikkum

What do you think 'until death takes them' mean? Starve to death?

Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala has always decreed stoning for adultery as it is a great sin. That rule has not been abrogated. So it still stands, hence the Prophet (SalAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) followd that ruling.
TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2013 at 11:39am

Salaam Alaikum, Abu Loren.

Is "Allah's Book" a reference to the Quran in this hadith? I am assuming this is the case, since I don't see why a Bedouin would want Muhammad to judge his son on the basis of the Torah.

"Allah's Book" in this hadith refers to the Quran, right? If I am wrong, please correct me. Thanks. Smile

(34) Narrated Abu Huraira: While we were with Allah's Apostle a bedouin got up and said, "O Allah's Apostle! Settle my case according to Allah's Book (Laws)." Then his opponent got up and said, "O Allah's Apostle! He has said the truth! Settle his case according to Allah's Book (Laws.) and allow me to speak," He said, "My son was a laborer for this man and he committed illegal sexual intercourse with his wife. The people told me that my son should be stoned to death but I ransomed him with one-hundred sheep and a slave girl. Then I asked the religious learned people and they told me that his wife should be stoned to death and my son should receive one-hundred lashes and be sentenced to one year of exile.' The Prophet said, "By Him in Whose Hands my life is, I will judge between you according to Allah's Book (Laws): As for the slave girl and the sheep, they are to be returned; and as for your son, he shall receive one-hundred lashes and will be exiled for one year. You, O Unais!" addressing a man from Bani Aslam, "Go tomorrow morning to the wife of this (man) and if she confesses, then stone her to death." The next morning Unais went to the wife and she confessed, and he stoned her to death.  (Book #91, Hadith #365)

http://www.searchtruth.com/searchHadith.php?keyword=allah\%27s+book&translator=1&search=1&book=&start=0&records_display=50&search_word=exact

Yes from the Holy Qur'an. 100 lashes for fornication and stoning for adultery.

Salaam Alaikum, Abu Loren. The Quran does indeed prescribe 100 lashes for fornication. Where does it prescribe stoning for adultery? Also, where does it prescribe exile for fornicators? Thanks.

Sahih International

تفسير Tafsir al-Jalalayn

{ وَٱللاَّتِي يَأْتِينَ ٱلْفَٰحِشَةَ مِن نِّسَآئِكُمْ فَٱسْتَشْهِدُواْ عَلَيْهِنَّ أَرْبَعةً مِّنْكُمْ فَإِن شَهِدُواْ فَأَمْسِكُوهُنَّ فِي ٱلْبُيُوتِ حَتَّىٰ يَتَوَفَّاهُنَّ ٱلْمَوْتُ أَوْ يَجْعَلَ ٱللَّهُ لَهُنَّ سَبِيلاً }

As for those of your women who commit lewdness, adultery, call four, Muslim men, of you to witness against them; and if they witness, against them such [lewdness], then detain them in their houses, and prevent them from mixing with people, until, the angels of, death take them or, until, God appoints for them a way, out of it. This was stipulated for them at the very beginning of Islam, but then a way out was appointed for them through [the stipulation] that the virgin should receive a hundred lashes and be banished for a year, and the married woman be stoned. The prescribed punishment was explained thus in the hadīth, �Come listen to me! Come listen to me! God has now made a way out for them�, as reported by Muslim.

This is the verse:

Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2013 at 1:51am

Is "Allah's Book" a reference to the Quran in this hadith? I am assuming this is the case, since I don't see why a Bedouin would want Muhammad to judge his son on the basis of the Torah.

"Allah's Book" in this hadith refers to the Quran, right? If I am wrong, please correct me. Thanks. Smile

(34) Narrated Abu Huraira: While we were with Allah's Apostle a bedouin got up and said, "O Allah's Apostle! Settle my case according to Allah's Book (Laws)." Then his opponent got up and said, "O Allah's Apostle! He has said the truth! Settle his case according to Allah's Book (Laws.) and allow me to speak," He said, "My son was a laborer for this man and he committed illegal sexual intercourse with his wife. The people told me that my son should be stoned to death but I ransomed him with one-hundred sheep and a slave girl. Then I asked the religious learned people and they told me that his wife should be stoned to death and my son should receive one-hundred lashes and be sentenced to one year of exile.' The Prophet said, "By Him in Whose Hands my life is, I will judge between you according to Allah's Book (Laws): As for the slave girl and the sheep, they are to be returned; and as for your son, he shall receive one-hundred lashes and will be exiled for one year. You, O Unais!" addressing a man from Bani Aslam, "Go tomorrow morning to the wife of this (man) and if she confesses, then stone her to death." The next morning Unais went to the wife and she confessed, and he stoned her to death.  (Book #91, Hadith #365)

http://www.searchtruth.com/searchHadith.php?keyword=allah\%27s+book&translator=1&search=1&book=&start=0&records_display=50&search_word=exact

Salaam Alaikum, Abu Loren. The Quran does indeed prescribe 100 lashes for fornication. Where does it prescribe stoning for adultery? Also, where does it prescribe exile for fornicators? Thanks.

Sahih International

تفسير Tafsir al-Jalalayn

{ وَٱللاَّتِي يَأْتِينَ ٱلْفَٰحِشَةَ مِن نِّسَآئِكُمْ فَٱسْتَشْهِدُواْ عَلَيْهِنَّ أَرْبَعةً مِّنْكُمْ فَإِن شَهِدُواْ فَأَمْسِكُوهُنَّ فِي ٱلْبُيُوتِ حَتَّىٰ يَتَوَفَّاهُنَّ ٱلْمَوْتُ أَوْ يَجْعَلَ ٱللَّهُ لَهُنَّ سَبِيلاً }

As for those of your women who commit lewdness, adultery, call four, Muslim men, of you to witness against them; and if they witness, against them such [lewdness], then detain them in their houses, and prevent them from mixing with people, until, the angels of, death take them or, until, God appoints for them a way, out of it. This was stipulated for them at the very beginning of Islam, but then a way out was appointed for them through [the stipulation] that the virgin should receive a hundred lashes and be banished for a year, and the married woman be stoned. The prescribed punishment was explained thus in the hadīth, �Come listen to me! Come listen to me! God has now made a way out for them�, as reported by Muslim.

TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2013 at 6:31am

Edited by TG12345 - 12 January 2013 at 4:05pm
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2013 at 1:03pm

TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2013 at 5:30pm

TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2013 at 4:14pm

Salaam Alaikum,

If I understand correctly, the Book of Allah (Laws) is according to your understanding only the Quran when mentioned in the hadiths, and when the Torah is mentioned it is mentioned as the Torah and Muhammad used it to judge the Jews when they asked him to pass judgement in the case of the man and woman who committed adultery. The Quran is a book you believe was given by God to Muhammad through Gabriel, and the hadiths are an explanation of what the Quran teaches as well as other things that are important to know to live in a way that is pleasing to God.

Would that be a correct understanding of your words? Thanks.

Do you have problems understanding English?

Thanks for asking, that is very considerate of you. English actually isn't my first language but no, I don't have problems understanding it. I asked to clarify if I understood what you were saying correctly, so I am not misinterpreting you or twisting your words.

Edited by TG12345 - 10 January 2013 at 5:11pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic