IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ancient philosophy and religous origin  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ancient philosophy and religous origin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ancient philosophy and religous origin
    Posted: 05 January 2013 at 3:09pm
A very interesting teaching if you can take the time to watch.  I think it contains valuable insights for all to consider.
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2014 at 1:16pm

The Vedas (Sanskrit v�da वेद, "knowledge") are a large body of texts originating in ancient India. Composed in Vedic Sanskrit, the texts constitute the oldest layer of  Sanskrit literature and the oldest scriptures of Hinduism. The Vedas are apauruṣeya ("not of human agency"). They are supposed to have been directly revealed, and thus are called śruti ("what is heard"), distinguishing them from other religious texts, which are called smṛti ("what is remembered").

The Vedas are among the oldest sacred texts. The Samhitas date to roughly 1500�1000 BCE, and the "circum-Vedic" texts, as well as the redaction of the Samhitas, date to c. 1000-500 BCE, resulting in a Vedic period, spanning the mid 2nd to mid 1st millennium BCE, or the Late Bronze Age and the Iron Age.

Transmission of texts in the Vedic period was by oral tradition alone, preserved with precision with the help of elaborate mnemonic techniques.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vedas

Hindus believe that the texts(the Vedas) were received by scholars direct from God and passed on to the next generations by word of mouth.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/hinduism/texts/texts.shtml

Edited by Caringheart - 22 February 2014 at 1:29pm
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
iec786 View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iec786 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2014 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

A very interesting teaching if you can take the time to watch.� I think it contains valuable insights�for all to�consider.</span>

Hi Caringheart,

I have something for you enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAlt-hmzrgA
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2014 at 4:50pm
This, I found very interesting.

The ka'aba of Zoroaster

I am involved in an interesting study of Darius, the king of Persia... gentle ruler... one of the first not to slaughter when he conquered.  Seems people have been evolving, from contact with one another, for a very long time.
I wonder when the ka'aba in Mecca was really first built.

Edited by Caringheart - 20 August 2014 at 4:59pm
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2014 at 5:33pm
The Cathars of France were said to have a stone that had fallen from heaven... it was also by some believed that the Holy Grail was a dark stone...   ???  Interesting where mythology will take you.
Blessed be God forever
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2014 at 8:04pm

This, I found very interesting.

The ka'aba of Zoroaster

I am involved in an interesting study of Darius, the king of Persia... gentle ruler... one of the first not to slaughter when he conquered.  Seems people have been evolving, from contact with one another, for a very long time.
I wonder when the ka'aba in Mecca was really first built.

Perhaps if you had actually studied this matter more closely, you would have found out that the name "Kaaba of Zoroaster" is from the 14th-century.  It was not the name of the structure when it was first built or for centuries after.  According to the Encyclopedia Iranica, it was most likely an Achaemenid royal tomb, and there is no evidence that it was ever a shrine or a place of pilgrimage.

http://www.iranicaonline.org/articles/kaba-ye-zardost

Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2014 at 2:30pm

The Cathars of France were said to have a stone that had fallen from heaven... it was also by some believed that the Holy Grail was a dark stone...   ???  Interesting where mythology will take you.

the ka'aba of Zoroaster....

Imoti contends that there were numerous such "Kaaba" sanctuaries in Arabia at one time, but this was the only one built of stone. The others also allegedly had counterparts of the Black Stone. There was a "red stone", the deity of the south Arabian city of Ghaiman, and the "white stone" in the Kaaba of al-Abalat (near the city of Tabala, south of Mecca). Grunebaum in Classical Islam points out that the experience of divinity of that period was often associated with stone fetishes, mountains, special rock formations, or "trees of strange growth."

Blessed be God forever
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2014 at 3:52pm
of further interest:

"The Ka'aba of Mecca was one of several Ka'abas across Arabia each one dedicated to a different god and each having its own coloured stone , the one in Mecca was dedicated to the god Hubal a phoentical distortion of the Canaanite god Ba'al(it started out as Haba'al meaning "The lord" which later on gave birth to Allah which have a similar meaning). Now on the subject of who built it, it's note worthy to point out to the Islamic 3 "Satan's stelles" that Muslims gather around each year to throw stones at in a symbolic way of stoning the Devil .

Which obviously are obelisks of an Ancient Egyptian design, so I'm inclined to thinking that ancient Egyptians had a hand in its inception , another story worthy of note imo is the story of Abdullah ibn Jada'an a Meccan from around the Time of Muhammad, who was at the beginning banished from the city for being a vagabond and a troublemaker, is reported to have a found a hidden royal burial chamber of the first kings of Mecca full of gold objects making him the richest man in Mecca which granted him the right of return to Mecca (and also it's reported in Islamic tradition that when he opened the tomb he found a giant golden serpent ) so yeah I think Egyptians had a very strong hand in the foundation of Mecca not to mention that even the Islamic story of it's foundation includes Egyptian figures like Hagar which was an Egyptian Servant of Abraham and Ishmail's mother.

The Bedouins (who raised Mohammed) had Djins - square stone boxes where they believed spirits rested. The Kaaba can be seen loosely as fitting in with this tradition, although the Kaaba could be walked into. There are still some Djins in Petra. If you google 'Djin', you'll see some images. The Kaaba was a place where different, often warring Bedouin tribes would come and, in respite from war, honour their gods. This helped foster trade, and Mecca developed as a commercial as well as spiritual hub."

Edited by Caringheart - 28 August 2014 at 3:54pm
Blessed be God forever
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic