IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Culture is it Women`s Worst Enemy!!  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Culture is it Women`s Worst Enemy!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Culture is it Women`s Worst Enemy!!
    Posted: 25 December 2012 at 3:18pm
Asalamu Calykum All,

Hope you all are doing great and are in good emaan and health. So here goes out my question. Is culture really women`s worst enemy? Throughout my life I have observed that the cultures that many Islamic countries have is not really kind and good to women in terms of giving them their equality and rights. Also in many of these cultures the boys/men get away with a lot. I myself come from a culture whereby a lot is expected from women and was brought up in a household whereby my brothers were treated differently say like they were disabled [only from household chores of course]. To me it is very important that individuals are self sufficient and independent can look after themselves whether they are male or female. Also if we are really claiming to be Muslims is it not time that we followed the teachings of our beloved prophet. He was a prophet, spreading the religion, going on war and he still was helping out his households.Look forward to reading our thoughts on the matter.

Edited by Idil - 25 December 2012 at 3:23pm
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2012 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by Idil Idil wrote:

Asalamu Calykum All,Hope you all are doing great and are in good emaan and health. So here goes out my question. Is culture really women`s worst enemy? Throughout my life I have observed that the cultures that many Islamic countries have is not really kind and good to women in terms of giving them their equality and rights. Also in many of these cultures the boys/men get away with a lot. I myself come from a culture whereby a lot is expected from women and was brought up in a household whereby my brothers were treated differently say like they were disabled [only from household chores of course]. To me it is very important that individuals are self sufficient and independent can look after themselves whether they are male or female. Also if we are really claiming to be Muslims is it not time that we followed the teachings of our beloved prophet. He was a prophet, spreading the religion, going on war and he still was helping out his households.Look forward to reading our thoughts on the matter.

Walaikum assalam wa rahmatullah wa barkatuhu dear Idil,

Am well Alhamdulillah, and hope the same for you through Grace and Mercy of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala. Guess Im seeing you after a long time ...

I strongly believe culture is an enemy of women. Islam is a very flexible way of life thus wherever it spread, got dyed in the culture of that place. In India, Muslims do a lot of things culturally rather than Islamically. Sadly most of these cultural norms deprive women of their equal rights.
<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
NABA View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NABA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2012 at 1:38am
Walecum As Salaam.i totally agree with U but today unfortunately most people are way away from Deen.many people think that just by reading Qur'an they are free from Satan but that's not the point understanding it is more important,by an example I can explain to U I went to recieve my cousin sister to station and I was shocked that she herself was carrying the whole luggage until I took over from her,her adult son was just wandering without any realisation.so in this situation if he could have understand Qur'an he could have remember that Allah says in Surah An Nisa ch 4 v 34,that Allah has created men more stronger than women,so in order to improve the current situation we should create awareness among people of understanding Qur'an.i hope with this post many people should start thinking about understanding Qur'an.Allahfiz

Edited by NABA - 27 December 2012 at 1:40am
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2013 at 5:29am
Yes, this applies to all cultures which are not evolving, but more and more cultures do. When it comes to women the best cultures are probably Scandinavian. In terms of religion, I'd say European Protestants. Women even become bishops.

A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2013 at 7:32pm
Salam Alaikum all,

I think not all aspects of culture are bad for women. I think some aspects of culture can be good too. I used to be all anti-culture, but then I realised that we shouldn't outright reject everything. Some things are part of 'traditions' that can be pretty cool. For e.g. in Pakistan the culture is supposed to be generally chivalrous. (Which is something inherent in Islam), yet it is also 'culture' because even the non-muslims in Pakistan observe that behaviour. For example it is so common in Pakistan for a lady to ask any random male standing nearby to help park her car for her, and they gladly do it. Some even offer to help if they see a lady struggling with a difficult parking spot.

Some aspects of culture can go hand in hand with our religion...
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic