IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - So what’s your reason  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So what�s your reason

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MuslimChe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2005 at 4:58pm

Ah, how I came to Islam. The answer is so complex, and the search for it took many years.

If you want to find faith, it takes a long time, a careful analysis of every religion, and why you came to it...

I can assure you, I came to Islam on my own terms.

Pinoy View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2005 at 6:18am
Salaam,

Though I am a devout Christian, I feel that my true calling is in Islam. Because of the reasonable Quranic accounts compared to the Bible, I feel my religion is full of errors. Yet somehow God is holding me back for conversion for I feel that I was born a Christian and I should die as one. I know Christ will restore true Christianity on the  great time of Revelation. Sadly, my fellow Christian brothers continue to follow the corrupted beliefs in Christianity established by the Catholic Church. I do not wish to debate on which religion is the superior for we all have our own faiths to believe in. I pray to God for all of us, Christian or not, to unite under one banner, one religion believing in God. Amen.

Edited by Pinoy
Dayem View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2005 at 6:41am

Ameen.

English (Yusuf Ali): (Recite)
2:62 Those who believe (in the Qur'an), and those who follow the Jewish (scriptures), and the Christians and the Sabians,- any who believe in Allah and the Last Day, and work righteousness, shall have their reward with their Lord; on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.

"the mooslims! they're heeere!"
LOONWATCH.COM
Muslim Friend View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muslim Friend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2005 at 10:33am
Pinoy, can i just ask if you feel your true calling is islam, then why do you feel that just because you were born to a certain religion, you need to die that way aswell??
O Allah! Bless Muhammad and let his be the place close to you on the day of Resurrection.
Charles_Martel View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles_Martel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2005 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Dayem Dayem wrote:

Why do I feel my religion is the best?Comparing with whom?

You tell me the religion u want to compare with Islam, and I can tell you why I believe in Islam as the best.Otherwise it will take whole day.

I believe you are a christian?Though I dont have first hand information about christianity; but this is a fact that bible has lots of error, and Qur'an none.So if we compare Christianity and Islam, Islam has an edge.Qur'an has lots of scientific fact while bible has some very ridiculus verse.

Like this I can on and on.

Coming to Hinduism, Prophet Muhammad(PBUH) is clearly prophesised in Vedas.As a result, many hindus here in India have converted to follow Islam.

You tell me which relifion you are intrested in, I will try to give you logical answers.

Regards,Dayem.

i have a question.  i used to be a buddhist.  i always compared Buddha to other religious founders, including Mohammed. 

everybody knows Mohammed fought battles against his enemies.  Buddha never took up arms against anyone.  i just couldn't help noticing the difference between those 2 men.  i always wondered why Mohammed couldn't spread Islam as Buddha spread Buddhism. 

Dayem View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2005 at 8:40pm

Point no. one:We dont know evrything about Budhism.The original teaching of Buddha is lost.Hosoever, there r records of loads of teaching of Buddha were recorded in Wudeng, also known as Buddhist bible.So, we cant be sure that ALL the teaching of Buddha is recorded or not.

How did Buddhism spread?Buddha (as we know him to be) was a king once, but he surrendered everything and went in search of truth.He is said to have got the ultimate knowledge after sitting below a banyan tree at Bodh Gaya, Bihar.Then what did he do?He went wandering with his disciples begging and spreading the religion of peace.People were usually impressed with his preaching and embraced Buddhism as there religion.Hosoever after his death, Ashoka the Great came.He later also accepted the religion Buddhism.After him, most the people in India embraced buddhism.As it preaches non-violence, the soldierswere unable to deffend the country from foreign attack, and the kingdom broke up.

It was neccessary, thus to defend the country from attacks,in which Buddhism lacks.It was necessary to defend, just like prophet Muhamma(PBUH) did against his enemies.

Further facts:Muhammad could be found in the Budhist literature.

From:http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywood/Park/6443/Buddhi sm/scriptures.html

1. Buddha prophesised the advent of a Maitreya:  

A) Almost all Buddhist books contain this prophecy. It is in Chakkavatti Sinhnad Suttanta D. III, 76: "There will arise in the world a Buddha named Maitreya (the benevolent one) a holy one, a supreme one, an enlightened one, endowed with wisdom in conduct, auspicious, knowing the universe:

"What he has realized by his own supernatural knowledge he will publish to this universe. He will preach his religion, glorious in its origin, glorious at its climax, glorious at the goal, in the spirit and the letter. He will proclaim a religious life, wholly perfect and thoroughly pure; even as I now preach my religion and a like life do proclaim. He will keep up the society of monks numbering many thousands, even as now I keep up a society of monks numbering many hundreds".

B) According to Sacred Books of the East volume 35 pg. 225:  "It is said that I am not an only Buddha upon whom the leadership and order is dependent. After me another Buddha maitreya of such and such virtues will come. I am now the leader of hundreds, he will be the leader of thousands." 

C) According to the Gospel of Buddha by Carus pg. 217 and 218 (From Ceylon sources): "Ananda said to the Blessed One, "Who shall teach us when thou art gone?"  And the Blessed one replied, 'I am not the first Buddha who came upon the earth nor shall I be the last. In due time another Buddha will arise in the world, a holy one, a supremely enlightened one, endowed with wisdom in conduct, auspicious, knowing the universe, an incomparable leader of men, a master of angels and mortals. He will reveal to you the same eternal truths, which I have taught you. He will preach his religion, glorious in its origin, glorious at the climax and glorious at the goal. He will proclaim a religious life, wholly perfect and pure such as I now proclaim. His disciples will number many thousands while mine number many hundreds.'

Ananda said, 'How shall we know him?'

The Blessed one replied, 'He will be known as Maitreya'."

(i) The Sanskrit word "Maitreya" or its equivalent in Pali "Metteyya" means loving, compassionate, merciful and benevolent. It also means kindness and friendliness, sympathy, etc. One Arabic word which is equivalent to all these words is "Rahmat". In Surah Al-Anbiya: "We sent thee not, but as a mercy for all creatures." [Al-Qur'an 21:107]

Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) was called the merciful, which is "Maitri". 

(ii) The words Mercy and Merciful are mentioned in the Holy Qur'�n no less than 409 times.

(iii) Every chapter of the Glorious Qur'�n, except Chapter 9, i.e. Surah Taubah begins with the beautiful formula, 'Bismillah Hir-Rahman Nir-Rahim', which means 'In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful'.  

(iv) The Word Muhammad is also spelt as 'Mahamet' or 'Mahomet' and in various other ways in different languages. The word 'Maho' or 'Maha' in Pali and Sanskrit mean Great and Illustrious and 'Metta' means mercy. Therefore 'Mahomet' means 'Great Mercy'.  

2. Buddha's doctrine was Esoteric and Exoteric:

According to Sacred Books of the East, volume 11, pg. 36 Maha-Parinibbana Sutta chapter 2 verse 32:

"I have preached the truth without making any distinction between exoteric and esoteric doctrine, for in respect of truths, Ananda, the Tathagata has no such thing as the closed fist of a teacher, who keeps something back".

Muhammad (pbuh) on the commandment of Almighty God delivered the message and doctrine without making any distinction between esoteric and exoteric. The Qur'�n was recited in public in the days of the Prophet and is being done so till date. The Prophet had strictly forbidden the Muslims from hiding the doctrine

3. Devoted Servitors of the Buddhas: 

According to Sacred Books of the East volume 11 pg. 97 Maha-Parinibbana Sutta Chapter 5 verse 36: "Then the Blessed one addressed the brethren, and said, "Whosoever, brethren have been Arahat-Buddhas through the long ages of the past, they were servitors just as devoted to those Blessed ones as Ananda has been to me. And whosoever brethren shall be the Arahat-Buddhas of the future, there shall be servitors as devoted to those Blessed ones as Ananda has been to me"."

The Servitor of Buddha was Ananda. Muhammad (pbuh) also had a servitor by the name Anas (r.a.) who was the son of Malik. Anas (r.a...) was presented to the Prophet by his parents. Anas (r.a...) relates: "My mother said to him, 'Oh Messenger of God, here is your little servant'." Further Anas relates, "I served him from the time I was 8 years old and the Prophet called me his son and his little beloved". Anas (r.a...) stayed by the Prophet in peace and in war, in safety as well as in danger till the end of his life. 

i) Anas (r.a.), even though he was only 11 years old stayed beside the Prophet during the battle of Uhud where the Prophet's life was in great danger. 

ii) Even during the battle of Hunain when the Prophet was surrounded by the enemies who were archers, Anas (r.a...) who was only 16 years old stood by the Prophet.

Anas (R) can surely be compared with Ananda who stood by Gautam Buddha when the mad elephant approached him.

4. Six Criteria for Identifying Buddha:  

According to the Gospel of Buddha by Carus pg. 214:

"The Blessed one said, "There are two occasions on which a Tathagata's appearance becomes clear and exceedingly bright. In the night Ananda, in which a Tathagata attains to the supreme and perfect insight, and in the night in which he passes finally away in that ultra passing which leaves nothing whatever of his earthly existence to remain.' "

According to Gautam Buddha, following are the six criteria for identifying a Buddha. 

i) A Buddha attains supreme and perfect insight at night-time.  

ii) On the occasion of his complete enlightenment he looks exceedingly bright  

iii) A Buddha dies a natural death.  

iv) He dies at night-time. 

v) He looks exceedingly bright before his death.

vi) After his death a Buddha ceases to exist on earth.

i) Muhammad (pbuh) attained supreme insight and Prophethood at night-time.

According to Surah Dukhan:  "By the books that makes thing clear ? We sent it down during a blessed night." [Al-Qur'�n 44:2-3]

According to Surah Al-Qadar: "We have indeed revealed this (message) in the night of power." [Al-Qur'�n 97:1] 

ii) Muhammad (pbuh) instantly felt his understanding illumined with celestial light.  

iii) Muhammad (pbuh) died a natural death.

iv) According to Ayesha (r.a.), Muhammad (pbuh) expired at night-time. When he was dying there was no oil in the lamp and his wife Ayesha (r.a.) had to borrow oil for the lamp.  

v) According to Anas (r.a.), Muhammad (pbuh) looked exceedingly bright in the night of his death.  

vi) After the burial of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) he was never seen again in his bodily form on this earth.

5. Buddhas are only Preachers: 

According to Dhammapada, Sacred Books of East volume 10 pg., 67:

"The Jathagatas (Buddhas) are only Preachers."

The Qur'�n says in Surah Ghashiya: "Therefore do thou give admonition, for thou art one to admonish. Thou art not one to manage (men's) affairs." [Al-Qur'�n 88:21-22]

6. Identification of Maitreya by Buddha:  

According to Dhammapada, Mattaya Sutta, 151:

"The promised one will be:

i) Compassionate for the whole creation

ii) A messenger of peace, a peace-maker

iii) The most successful in the world.

The Maitreya as a Preacher of morals will be:

i) Truthful

ii) Self-respecting

iii) Gentle and noble

iv) Not proud

v) As a king to creatures

vi) An example to others in deeds and in words". 

"the mooslims! they're heeere!"
LOONWATCH.COM
Pinoy View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2005 at 7:07am
Originally posted by Muslim Friend Muslim Friend wrote:

Pinoy, can i just ask if you feel your true calling is islam, then why do you feel that just because you were born to a certain religion, you need to die that way aswell??

Because Muslim Friend, Christianity really has a hold of me in terms of religious faith. Now my faith is being tested at the same time by God to decide to stay as a Christian or convert to be a Muslim. I am at a stage in my life that is very complicated (I'm only a teen).
Mishmish View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2005 at 9:32pm

Originally posted by Pinoy Pinoy wrote:

Originally posted by Muslim Friend Muslim Friend wrote:

Because Muslim Friend, Christianity really has a hold of me in terms of religious faith. Now my faith is being tested at the same time by God to decide to stay as a Christian or convert to be a Muslim. I am at a stage in my life that is very complicated (I'm only a teen).

Pinoy, what is it in the Christian faith that you find has such a hold on you?

When I was a Christian, I found the belief system of Christianity very wrapped in mystery and illogical. That is what first led me to seek knowledge within the different Christian denominations and then without. What I found the most difficult thing to accept in Christianity was the notion of blind faith. Faith should never be blind because then we are giving up our God given right, actually responsibility, to freedom of choice. I think Allah created us to be logical beings, to seek truth in all forms, and to use our intelligence in deciding the TRUTH.

In Christianity we are told that if we question then we have no faith, we just have to believe. That alone did not make any sense to me. Why are we given the ability to reason if we're not supposed to use it?

Here in the States there was a show on last week about the rise of Evangelical Christians in this country. Something that one of the preachers said was very shocking to me, yet it is how most Christians believe. He said: (It is not our place to make Christians feel guilty about their sins. Jesus has already taken care of all of that. He has taken away the guilt. It's my job to save their souls...)        Maybe I'm crazy, but isn't part of believing in God and Heaven or Paradise, the fact that we are responsible for our sins and should feel guilty? Otherwise what's the point?  How can you save someone's soul if you are teaching them that they need have no guilt or fear of sin cuz that's all been taken care of? As logical people we know this cannot be true. Even in this messed up worldly system, people are responsible for their own actions and must suffer the consequences. If a child disobeys his parents, he is punished. If an adult commits a crime, they are punished. Are Allah's laws less than that of man's? Did Allah send so many Messengers and Prophets into the world to guide mankind to the correct path if it really didn't matter in the end because it was already taken care of?

It sounds as if you are at a very important crossroads right now and you should search deeply into your heart to realize if you truly believe what you have learned from Christianity or if you seek something more.

Edited by Mishmish
It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic