IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Do Christians follow any dietary Laws?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do Christians follow any dietary Laws?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Placid View Drop Down

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Placid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do Christians follow any dietary Laws?
    Posted: 18 February 2013 at 7:53am
Hi Rational,

Quote: (From above) I want to ask though, where do you believe Mohammad (pbuh) got the Holy Quran from? What are your honest thoughts on this? I'm really interested to know.

Response: --- I believe that Muhammad received the revelations in the Quran from the angel Gabriel, who had originally appeared to him in a vision.
I have the highest regard for Muhammad and the Quran because I recognize the way God spoke to His Prophets. --- Some by visions, or through tragedies, some by inner inspiration, and some unexpectedly, like Moses, through a burning bush.

I read the long intro to Mr Pickthall�s Translation and learned from there that Muhammad was not an idolater, but was searching for the Faith and beliefs of Abraham, --- and on this retreat in the month of Ramadan, --- Gabriel appeared to him.
Gabriel had previously appeared to Zechariah and the Virgin Mary in Luke 1, which is repeated in the beginning of Surah 19, called Mary.
--- So, is it not natural to expect that what the same Gabriel revealed to Muhammad, would be in harmony with what he, Gabriel, had revealed before?

The Intro says that Muhammad was troubled at first at the reality of being called by God but his wife, Khadijah, encouraged him. It indicates there, --- and I have read other places on Shiachat, that Khadijah, and her cousin were Christians. --- It said that she used a method to �test the spirit,� and found that it was good.

On their return to Mecca, she took him to see her aged cousin �who knew the Scriptures of the Jews and Christians� who confirmed that he believed that God was calling Muhammad to be a Prophet and messenger to his people.

--- His Mission was: To destroy idolatry in Arabia, and restore �Faith in One God.�
At that time there were some 360 idols in the Kabah, the House of Prayer.

Muhammad spent 3 years teaching his family and friends, then God led him to preach publicly, which brought much persecution. --- He continued for 10 years in Mecca, and was invited to Yathrib (which became Al-Madina, �The City�), and the mission expanded from there. --- God used him in the next 10 years to destroy idolatry and reform the people to be honest, God fearing and productive.
At his �Farewell Pilgrimage� shortly before his death, he declared an amnesty, and �Victory� --- which brought a short-lived Peace to his people.

This is what I understand about Muhammad and I think you would feel okay if I stop here, without commenting on the fact that Imam Ali had the complete Quran in hand, at the time of Muhammad�s death, but it was rejected. --- Then it took some 20 years before the present written Quran was produced by Caliph Uthman.     

Placid

Edited by Placid - 18 February 2013 at 7:55am
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2013 at 9:02am

It is possible that this, or parts of this, have already been shared.

One person�s faith allows them to eat anything, but another, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted them. Who are you to judge someone else�s servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand.

One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind. Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord. Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. For none of us lives for ourselves alone, and none of us dies for ourselves alone. If we live, we live for the Lord; and if we die, we die for the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord. 

10 You, then, why do you judge your brother or sister? Or why do you treat them with contempt? For we will all stand before God�s judgment seat. 11 It is written:

12 So then, each of us will give an account of ourselves to God.

13 Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in the way of a brother or sister. 14 I am convinced, being fully persuaded in the Lord Jesus, that nothing is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for that person it is unclean. 15 If your brother or sister is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love.  17 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit,

19 Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. 20 Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a person to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble. 21 It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother or sister to fall.

22 So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the one who does not condemn himself by what he approves
Heart

Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2013 at 2:19am
Sahih International

Then eat of what Allah has provided for you [which is] lawful and good. And be grateful for the favor of Allah , if it is [indeed] Him that you worship.
He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced [by necessity], neither desiring [it] nor transgressing [its limit] - then indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful.
And do not say about what your tongues assert of untruth, "This is lawful and this is unlawful," to invent falsehood about Allah . Indeed, those who invent falsehood about Allah will not succeed.
16:114-116
Rational View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2013 at 2:14pm
Thank you Placid for your thoughtful reply.

So In your scriptures, Jesus (as) did not make swine lawful, since you don't have this statement needed to nullify the several verses from the OT that forbid swine. But you've convinced yourself so lets just agree to disagree.

I want to ask though, where do you believe Mohammad (pbuh) got the Holy Quran from? What are your honest thoughts on this? I'm really interested to know.

Originally posted by Placid Placid wrote:

Hi Rational,

Jesus said In Matthew 6:
31 �Therefore do not worry, saying, �What shall we eat?� or �What shall we drink?� or �What shall we wear?�
32 For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.
33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.

In Surah 3, Jesus said:
49 --- AND I DECLARE TO YOU WHAT YOU EAT, --- and what ye store in your houses. Surely therein is a Sign for you if ye did believe;
50 "I have come to you), to attest the Law which was before me. --- AND TO MAKE LAWFUL TO YOU PART OF WHAT WAS BEFORE FORBIDDEN TO YOU; --- I have come to you with a Sign from your Lord.

--- (Notice that this allows for changes for Christians, from the Law of Moses.)

And at the meeting in Acts 15, where they gave instructions for the Gentile Christians in Antioch in Syria, --- James the half-brother of Jesus officiated at the meeting, and all the Apostles were in attendance, so all of these Jewish leaders, wrote this letter in Acts 15:
28 For it seemed good to --- the Holy Spirit, --- and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things:
29 that you abstain from things offered to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well.

Let�s compare this list to Surah 5:
3 Forbidden to you (for food) are: dead meat, blood, the flesh of swine, and that on which hath been invoked the name of other than God; that which hath been killed by strangling.

So the simple understanding should be that Gentile Christians were always allowed to eat Pork, --- whereas Muslims, in the Quran, are instructed not to.

Placid

Edited by Rational - 12 February 2013 at 2:21pm
الله
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2013 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

Greetings Rational,I am so sure that I have thoroughly answered this question, many times, but to put it for you one more time.As with all things religious, no question has a simple, one dimensional answer.� God is far from being one dimensional.I follow Jesus, so anything that Jesus required is what I am bound by.� I follow for sure the ten commandments given to Moses, and all of the moral laws that are in both the old and the new testament.� Do I follow the 613 mitzvot that the Jews follow, no.� Have I considered it, yes, but only out of pure preference... things like celebrating the Jewish feast days, but then I realized they do not apply to me... I am not of the people God saved out from slavery in Egypt, so does it make sense for me to celebrate the passover, or any of the other feasts of the Jews?� Do the laws applied to the Jews apply to me?� Not really.I follow the old testament in the sense that the old testament informs all that is in the new testament.The new testament(mystery) is concealed in the old (the prophesy of Jesus to come)and the old testament(mystery) is revealed in the new (the coming of Jesus reveals what was hidden in the old testament)�...that I might fully declare God's Word--that sacred mystery which up till now has been hidden in every age and every generation, but which is now as clear as daylight to those who love God.Salaam,Caringheart

CArinheart,
What about the opposite ( like violence, sex, God, and salvation to mention a few) thing we find between OT and NT?
What is your opinion on those.
Hasan

The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2013 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Rational Rational wrote:

I understand. Thanks.

Smile
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Rational View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2013 at 4:02pm
I understand. Thanks.
الله
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2013 at 9:38pm
Greetings Rational,

I am so sure that I have thoroughly answered this question, many times, but to put it for you one more time.
As with all things religious, no question has a simple, one dimensional answer.  God is far from being one dimensional.

I follow Jesus, so anything that Jesus required is what I am bound by.  I follow for sure the ten commandments given to Moses, and all of the moral laws that are in both the old and the new testament.  Do I follow the 613 mitzvot that the Jews follow, no.  Have I considered it, yes, but only out of pure preference... things like celebrating the Jewish feast days, but then I realized they do not apply to me... I am not of the people God saved out from slavery in Egypt, so does it make sense for me to celebrate the passover, or any of the other feasts of the Jews?  Do the laws applied to the Jews apply to me?  Not really.

I follow the old testament in the sense that the old testament informs all that is in the new testament.

The new testament(mystery) is concealed in the old (the prophesy of Jesus to come)
and the old testament(mystery) is revealed in the new (the coming of Jesus reveals what was hidden in the old testament)

...that I might fully declare God's Word--that sacred mystery which up till now has been hidden in every age and every generation, but which is now as clear as daylight to those who love God.

Salaam,
Caringheart

Edited by Caringheart - 10 February 2013 at 9:41pm
Blessed be God forever
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic