IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Happy Christmas to you  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Happy Christmas to you

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2012 at 5:46pm
Happy Holidays to my non-Muslim friends, and Assalam Alykum to my brothers and sisters in Islam.

In Islam we are told that every word we speak and every act we do has a consequence, thus a true believer is very careful in doing things. He/she do not do things just because feel good about it or everyone around was doing it, rather, if Allah has approved of it, commanded it or not, and what is its significance.
We should definitely know what we celebrate and wish someone. Just for the sake of it, or for kids or for any other unknown reason is just that, unknown, without knowledge, and that's where the problem lies, even in wishing it.
I wish my fiends some of them very close "Happy holidays", not Merry Christmas, which if you translate means happy birthday of Christ.
In Islam there are only two celebrations or Eidian. Eid-ul-Fitr, and Eid-ul-Adhah.
Even if somone (a non-Muslim) wishes us Happy Eid, does not mean it is OK to say "Merry Christmas", it is not, in my opinion. When they will say it (Happy Eid-ul-fitr)will be meaningless for them, when we say it (Merry Christmas) it will be against our belief which is that we do not make grand celebrations on birthdays and that no one knows when Jesus was born except Allah, simple as that.
We praise Allah on birth of a new child, that's how we celebrate life.
Hasan

Edited by honeto - 25 December 2012 at 5:52pm
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2012 at 8:48pm
Assalamualiakum wa rahmatullah wa barkatuhu my fellow brothers and sisters
Greetings to non-muslims friends,

Muslims have a unique way of doing anything, especially on particular dates.
First of all, we fuss a lot about the 'date' of the occasion. Ramadan does not start on the same day all over the world nor do we celebrate Eid-ul-fitr the same day on every part of the globe.
Secondly we follow a lunar calender, thus every special event falls on a different day of the solar calander each year.
However, many muslims do celebrate the birthday of prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alaihe wasallam).

I don't think one is not out of the folds of islam for celebrating a birthday.

Wishing a non-muslim with a greeting be it merry christmas or happy holidays is not so different in my opinion as long as we know the brith-date of christ (pbuh) is unknown.

Christmas time for me always used to be a celebration back in college - which was a protestant institution. It used to carry on for days before the winter vacations (that usually started from 20th of Dec). Mostly it was a time to remember the poor and deprived. The best thing I liked was a 'white gift service' where we used to wrap a small present in white paper and collect. These gifts were then distributed among the poor who were connected with the college.

<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic