IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Question for Muslims about hadith  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question for Muslims about hadith

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question for Muslims about hadith
    Posted: 17 December 2012 at 3:30pm
Salaam Alaikum. I was wondering if you could help me with this question. Can you please tell me which hadith books are considered authentic (ie what Muhammad actually said or did) and which ones are not?

I have heard some people say that Sahih Bukhari and Sahih Muslim are considered most authentic, is this true? Is Dawud an authentic hadith as well or is it unreliable?

Thanks so much and God bless you.
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2012 at 6:50pm
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful...

Originally posted by TG12345 TG12345 wrote:

Salaam Alaikum. I was wondering if you could help me with this question. Can you please tell me which hadith books are considered authentic (ie what Muhammad actually said or did) and which ones are not?

I have heard some people say that Sahih Bukhari and Sahih Muslim are considered most authentic, is this true? Is Dawud an authentic hadith as well or is it unreliable?

Only Sahih Bukhari and Sahih Muslim contain the authentic hadiths.  Sunan Abu Dawud contains both authentic and weak hadiths as well, so it is not always reliable.
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2012 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by islamispeace islamispeace wrote:

Only Sahih Bukhari and Sahih Muslim contain the authentic hadiths.  Sunan Abu Dawud contains both authentic and weak hadiths as well, so it is not always reliable.

Shukran, my friend. I thought so as well.

Our of curiousity, how was it decided that Muslim and Bukhari are authentic but Dawood is not?

Edited by TG12345 - 17 December 2012 at 7:14pm
nothing View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2012 at 12:20am

I read a hadith book long time ago and it compiled only the authentic one. Yet the author comment few times where he states that what authentic from one source considered weak by the other, or even doubtful. So, there you go.

Hadith is ok but I am not a fan of it. I wish I still  have that little note book where I compiled few hadiths where even the most ardent believers of it will say: "Is this real"? Not many but that few have put great doubt in my mind. I stick with the Qur'an.

Salaam.
TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2012 at 4:41am
Originally posted by nothing nothing wrote:

I read a hadith book long time ago and it compiled only the authentic one. Yet the author comment few times where he states that what authentic from one source considered weak by the other, or even doubtful. So, there you go.

Hadith is ok but I am not a fan of it. I wish I still  have that little note book where I compiled few hadiths where even the most ardent believers of it will say: "Is this real"? Not many but that few have put great doubt in my mind. I stick with the Qur'an.

Salaam.

Alaikum as-salaam, nothing. Thank you for your response.

A Muslim I spoke to once told me that to be Muslim one has to follow both the Quran and hadith, because of verses like 3:31,32 which say to obey God and His messenger.

Say: "If ye do love Allah, Follow me: Allah will love you and forgive you your sins: For Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." Say: "Obey Allah and His Messenger": But if they turn back, Allah loveth not those who reject Faith

How would you respond to this, out of curiosity? Not trying to put you on the spot or anything, but wouldn't following the hadith mean following Muhammad's teachings, which Islam claims are from God?

Thanks again, and please feel free to ask any questions of me regarding my faith as well if you want. Smile
Friendship View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Friendship Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2012 at 9:11am
Assalamu alaika TG 12345.

Be patient. You will get to know the truth in about 3 months time. I will tell you the book to read to understand the meaning and genesis of hadith.

friendship.
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2012 at 1:54pm
A lot of people without realizing that hadith is not word of God, and its transmission to us was not as careful as the Quran make no distinction between the two, which in my understanding is incorrect. The fact is that Hadith unlike the Quran was not completed in the time of the prophet. And since the hadith was not word of God, rather narrated by people, it has a secondary position when taking in account. So, as much as it is needed to understand aspects of Islamic practices sometimes only mentioned by name in the Quran, one need to be mindful that it can only be taken as word of man, like the present Gospels.
If a hadith contradicts the Quran, of course it is not authentic. Hadith, many times helps us to understand and give us details on things we do on a daily basis, like Salath, social behavior etc.
Just my opinion based on my understanding. We cannot leave the Quran and try to read and follow the Hadith, nor can we neglect the wealth of information in hadith that is needed to fully understand our purpose as a Muslim.
Hasan

Edited by honeto - 18 December 2012 at 1:57pm
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 5:10pm

Originally posted by islamispeace islamispeace wrote:

Shukran, my friend. I thought so as well.

Our of curiousity, how was it decided that Muslim and Bukhari are authentic but Dawood is not?

Sahih Bukhari and Sahih Muslim are compilations of hadiths which were judged to be authentic based on a complicated process.  Authenticating hadiths involves analyzing the chain of narration, the text etc.  Also, as brother Hasan has mentioned, if a hadith clearly contradicts the Quran, then it is rejected.  It was through this process that hadiths were authenticated.  When using this process, some hadiths mentioned in Sunan Abu Dawud are found to be "weak". 

Here is a good article explaining the authority of compilations like Sahih Bukhari:

http://www.islamic-awareness.org/Hadith/bukhari.html
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic