IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How the Pagan Trinity Crept Into Christianity  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How the Pagan Trinity Crept Into Christianity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Webber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How the Pagan Trinity Crept Into Christianity
    Posted: 01 March 2013 at 9:34am
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

Hi Webber,

You know it's funny because just last night I was thinking how even the pagans were guided by something right.  Even the pagans must have sought to understand the world around them and to understand creation.  They must have sought to explain the things which they observed.  We do not really know what kinds of things they observed thousands of years ago, do we?   Their beliefs, as well, must have come from early stories of their ancestors.  So all religions have their roots in paganism, it's just that over time beliefs evolved.  Over time God saw the need to reveal more of Himself and provide a guidance for His creation.  
I remembered hearing about the real meaning of the word pagan.

Paganism (from Latin paganus, meaning "country dweller", "rustic"

It would seem to me that people in those days were a lot more in tune with their spiritual co-habitants. Now that they're all jinn nobody looks at them anymore.
Because these people were more open to the spiritual world, they of course wanted to understand it, would seek it in many ways.
I've heard missionaries tell me of tribes totally under the control of evil spirits to the point he was continuously under attack by these spirits and obviously not welcome. His descriptions were very much that of the real thing.

Not all spirits were evil, many stories from past lore still convey the message a prophet would, not that we'd understand it as such.

Of course the pagans we hear about are the ones that would kill you for their gods, or cook you in a pot.

We don't have much use for lore anymore. The religious world has done it's best to ignore the spiritual evil of this world, mostly out of fear, some disbelief. If you're not a threat to evil it won't bother you kinda thinking makes it all much easier to forget.

I'm a Gentile.
Numb. 6:24-26
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2013 at 10:14am
Hi Webber,

You know it's funny because just last night I was thinking how even the pagans were guided by something, right?  Even the pagans must have sought to understand the world around them and to understand creation.  They must have sought to explain the things which they observed.  We do not really know what kinds of things they observed thousands of years ago, do we?   Their beliefs, as well, must have come from early stories of their ancestors.  So all religions have their roots in paganism, it's just that over time beliefs evolved.  Over time God saw the need to reveal more of Himself and provide a guidance for His creation.  
I remembered hearing about the real meaning of the word pagan.

Paganism (from Latin paganus, meaning "country dweller", "rustic"

It simply meant they did not philosophize.

Edited by Caringheart - 02 March 2013 at 10:42am
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Webber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2013 at 9:41pm
Paganism is a comfy word for all those who would wish the Bible and theology was at least that wrong. Ya really think Constantine and his merry band wanted three gods because the Egyptians had three?
How many Greek sympathizers were amungst the council? As if the Greeks only had 3 gods...I am not sure exactly how many there where total, but there were a dozen main gods and goddesses. Then the Titans...They consisted of Zeus (God of the Skies), Poseidon (God of the Seas), and Hades (God of the Underworld). There were less major Gods and Goddesses besides.

Which three do you blame Christianity for following?

Think about this Gentlemen. Pagan is the wrong word. None of them called it a trinity. It's like Christian/pagan holidays. enough pagans in the world to have 365 holidays a year, so what? The god of fleas will no longer infest your armpits for encroachment.

If it were known of pagans to pick their noses are we all guilty of paganism?

I'm a Gentile.
Numb. 6:24-26
nospam001 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nospam001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2013 at 2:49pm

Sorry, somehow I managed to overlook this topic completely until now, being rather underwhelmed by the whole trinity debate. I can't access youtube at work but will try to remember to view it at home over the weekend. (PBS is usually excellent.)

Beebok's OP is very interesting, not least because it was sourced from a Christian website. To critique one's own doctrine/heritage so objectively must take a lot of honesty and courage.

God has the right to remain silent. For His advocates, however, each resigned shrug is a missed opportunity to win new converts.
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2013 at 2:45pm
No one else open minded enough to watch the video's?
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2012 at 6:47am
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

I just saw this on PBS and thought it was a good explanation about the trinity.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGUo00j9qvw

Thanks for the videos, Caringheart. They are good ones and do a good job of explaining the Trinity and where our belief in God being the Father, Son and Holy Spirit comes from.
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2012 at 8:00pm
I just saw this on PBS and thought it was a good explanation about the trinity.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGUo00j9qvw

Edited by Caringheart - 30 December 2012 at 9:33pm
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2012 at 1:44pm
I think, this was done just to not to hinder people from accepting the new religion (Christianity). So a lot of things were overlooked and simply fused overtime including the ideologies of the multiple Pagan gods.
Later the doctrines were brought in place that were far off from the original concept of God as described in the Old Testament.
Hasan
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic