IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - FMG  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFMG

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2005 at 9:18am
Originally posted by Maryga Maryga wrote:

Begbie, you are absolutely right! So much for scholarship these days! To justify it in any form is abominable and it is not Islamic! It is sickening!

It disturbs me tht the quackery of qaradawi is held in such high regard in certain muslim (and leftists) quarters.
AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2005 at 10:17am

Originally posted by Begbie Begbie wrote:

Originally posted by AhmadJoyia AhmadJoyia wrote:

So, where is the difference of opinon since I clearly highlighted it to be a cultural practice than having anything to do with divine origin?

qaradawi says it's sharia, i'm not disputing divine or cultural. I'm questioning the ethic.

Well you are not very correct in quoting Sheikh Qaradawi. Here it is as what the website says, if at all anything about shariah but not by the Sheikh Qaradawi. "As for the Shari`ah stance on female circumcision, it�s a controversial issue among the Muslim scholars and even doctors." (Bold and underlined are from my self to highlight the actual stance).

Hence, your assertion is not supported but contradicted. Secondly, the issue of ethic in FGM is intrinsically associated with culture, as is now clear, therefore, its meaningless to find its roots from religion, though I have already provided the answer to that.

same as  the shiekh himself has declared it when he says "..But whoever chooses not to do it is not considered to have committed a sin ........".
and then says I personally support this

I guess personal opinions are different than official ones. That is how I understand it. Personal opinions are, sometimes, held due to cultural influences, as I have alluded to, than on sound evidence.

What has it got to do with sin anyway ?

I don't know. Probably you need to consult the one who said this.

On the more, the evidence presented in support of FGM, is not authentic. Hence, there is no doubt left. Whatever, the Shiekh is saying is his personal feelings, depending upon his own cultural inclinations.

Then the sheik is a dangerous quack ?

I don't say such a thing simply as I have already explained as how a "personal opinion" could be different than the "official" one.

Allah knows the best.  

Edited by AhmadJoyia
Begbie View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2005 at 6:36pm

Well you are not very correct in quoting Sheikh Qaradawi.
I quote him because he is a well known, prominant "scholar".

Hence, your assertion is not supported but contradicted.
Surely you mean qaradawi is contradicted ?

Secondly, the issue of ethic in FGM�is intrinsically associated with culture, as is now clear,�therefore, its meaningless to find its roots from religion, though I have already provided the answer to that.
I know that but it concerns me that the likes of qaradawi allows this "culture" to perpetuate by condoning it in a pseudo islamic grounding.

I guess personal opinions are different than official ones. That is how I understand it. Personal opinions are, sometimes, held due to cultural influences, as I have alluded to, than on sound evidence.
He seems to draw his opinion from islamic teachings, does he not ?

Quote Then the sheik is a dangerous quack ?

I don't say such a thing simply as I have already explained as�how a�"personal opinion" could be different than the "official" one.
Why wouldn't you call him a dangerous quack if he is so far off the mark ? His personnal opinions also stretch to killing homosexuals and apostates. Does anybody in the muslim world take this man seriously ?

Edited by Begbie
Maryga View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2005 at 6:48pm

It disturbs me tht the quackery of qaradawi is held in such high regard in certain muslim (and leftists) quarters.

This is unfortunate. The first ayat that came down to the prophet Mohammed (PBUH) was "Iqra" meaning "read". We are to read and seek knowledge and that would mean to start with the Qur'an and then the "hadith" and so on. When we are well equipped with the treasure that has been revealed to us in the Quran and then listen to scholars we can distinguish between the right & the wrong or the truth & the false. I have little knowledge of this person that you refer to except that I heard a person preaching youngstrs that it is alright to eat at "Mcdonalds" eventhough it is not halal. This she quoted was from qaradwi. I am not in agreement with this.

Abeer23 View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2005 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by Maryga Maryga wrote:

I have little knowledge of this person that you refer to except that I heard a person preaching youngstrs that it is alright to eat at "Mcdonalds" eventhough it is not halal. This she quoted was from qaradwi. I am not in agreement with this.

As salamu alaikum,  I don't mean to go off topic but I'm not really sure where else to post my response.

If indeed Yusuf Qardawi gave that fatwa it was on the basis that Muslims are permitted to eat the food of the people of the book (Jews and Christians).  However, I've found that many foreign Muslims(by foreign I mean not form the west) assume that all Americans (or westerners I suppose) are Christian; and that simply isn't the case.   Mc Donald's has never claimed to be a "Christian restaurant" so we can't assume the food there is halal for us.

Salaam

Maryga View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2005 at 9:28pm
Abeer23, Alhamdulillah halal food is available almost everywhere in the western countries. It is available even in some supermarkets. But to issue a fatwa so loosely defeats the purpose of eating halal and the efforts of all those who have helped make halal so easily available. Eating in the homes of the people of the book yes, but again if pork or anything haram is offered no. Allah has permitted us to eat non-halal in exceptional circumstances, but I personally find it very sad that this notion is spreading even amongst those who would otherwise eat only halal.
Abeer23 View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2005 at 5:37am

Maryga, I agree with you that muslims should support the efforts of other muslims in making halal food available.  BUT, that still doesn't change the legality of eating the food of the people of the book.  Allah made their food halal for us, without any clause.  And technically, the people of the book don't eat pork.  Unfortunately, Christians in the states don't always follow the rules.    Whether or not we choose to eat the food of ahl-kitab is up to us; but as I stated before, that doesn't change the hukm clearly stated in the Quran.

You're lucky to be in Australia.  While I was in China I noticed a lot of the products in the supermarket with the "halal" symbol were from Australia.  We don't have such conveniences in supermarkets in the States.  I personally have always chosen to just make trips to the halal meat market and load my freezer up.

Salaam

AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2005 at 7:15am

Originally posted by Begbie Begbie wrote:

Well you are not very correct in quoting Sheikh Qaradawi.
I quote him because he is a well known, prominant "scholar".

Well my dear brother Begbie, I didn't say "why" you quoted Sheikh Qardawi but incorrectly quoted him. Kindly go back and read my objection again and verify. 

Quote Surely you mean qaradawi is contradicted ?

Again, you misunderstood the whole reply of mine and same you are doing to the personal opinon of Sheikh Qardawi. 

Quote I know that but it concerns me that the likes of qaradawi allows this "culture" to perpetuate by condoning it in a pseudo islamic grounding.

I don't blame the Sheikh, but the website which is promolgating the personal opinons without qualification despite the fact that they know that the issue is "controversial" and yet forwarding a biased "personal" opinon in favour of one side without the other.

Quote He seems to draw his opinion from islamic teachings, does he not ?
As I said before, its more of a cultural influence than anything else, simply because there is not authentic source for his "official" opinon, though the website is blamed for advertising such an image.

Quote Why wouldn't you call him a dangerous quack if he is so far off the mark ?

The website is to be blamed for this issue.

His personnal opinions also stretch to killing homosexuals and apostates. Does anybody in the muslim world take this man seriously ?

This is off the topic, and hence can't comment.

Edited by AhmadJoyia
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic