IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Marrying Outside your Nationality  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Marrying Outside your Nationality

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marrying Outside your Nationality
    Posted: 15 November 2012 at 3:23pm
Asalamu Calykum my dear sisters,

Hope you all are doing great. I just needed some advice and input on this topic. My sister recently has met someone from different nationality and alhamdulaah she was very satisfied with his deen. Things are getting very serious now and she has informed our parents about it. Both my father and mother were very shocked by the fact that my sisters wanted to marry outside her nationality. My parents are very cultural and are severely against my sister choice of future partner. I feel bad for both parties as I feel I am but in the middle of the situation. My parents want to cut all ties with my sister if she marries this guy. I am very saddened by the whole situation as I want a happy marriage for my sister, one where she gets the full blessing of her parents. I myself have no objections  as I know that my sisters has the right to choose whomsoever she wants. However, what bothers me a lot is the consequences that will follow her decision. I do not want my parents to cut all ties with my sister and also I am of the opinion that no guy, no matter where he is from is worth this, after all our parents have always been there for us.

Edited by Idil - 15 November 2012 at 3:24pm
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2012 at 12:58am
Walaikum assalam w arahmatullahi wa barkatuhu,
Dear Sister,

Its sad to hear about the situation you and your sister are facing.

Allah has given all of us the right to choose our life partners, islamically there is no problem doing this.

Our parents think they know better and they can make better, safer decisions for us. In a way they are correct, as they are more experienced being around in this world. However in situations like this personally I think the youth should take in regard two things, both of which are important. Number one is to not compromise their lives for the sake of traditional, cultural norms and second is to not annoy ones parents.

If there is a clash between the two - here is what you should do -
First of all, you have to find out how far you and your sister know this brother and to what extent of surity? I've heard that one should marry a person who is on the same page of religion. This is most important for a successful marriage. Is the imaan and deen of your sister and this brother exactly on the same page?

It is important for her future because she is the one who will be leading her entire life with him.

Next, she may talk to your parents about this person, and at the same time telling them she will not step into her new life without their consent. It might take while for them to come around, but now that they know her wishes, they cannot force her to choose another person (islamically it is wrong to marry a daughter against her wishes). With her good mannered and respectful, percevering approaches, I think she can win her parents on her side.

She should not give in to your parents wishes if this brother is worthy of her. At the same time she should not make haste in marrying him till your parents can clearly see that she has made her choice for good.

May Allah facilitate what is best for you and your family, ameen.

Edited by Nausheen - 16 November 2012 at 1:06am
<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
Idil View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2012 at 12:12pm
Asalamu Calykum Nausheen,

Many thanks for giving me your insight on this issue. As you have said it perfect it is very hard to balance the two. Currently, my parents have calmed down a bit and insha allah hope everything works out for the best. My sister is also reconsidering her decision as she has realized that the sacrifice was too high. The issue of dealing with parents is very difficult though. It is hard most of the times to meet their demand and they always tend to throw at your face the rights that ALLAH has given them. If it was not for ALLAH`s sake I am sure a lot of us would not deal with our parents they way we do now.
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2012 at 1:00am
Walaikum assalam wa rahamtullah Dear Idil,

I understand that its is the right of parents to be treated with respect and kindness. However it is not their right to dispose their daughters against their (daughters') wishes.  Also, it is not their right to prevent them from marrying who they like.
In some cultures parents go too far with their rights and thus we end up having forced/unhappy marriages.

Just wanted to run a word of caution there.

I hope and pray the whole matter is settled in best possible way.

It would be advisable for your sister to pray istekhara and then leave all to Allah.

Khair inshAllah.

<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2012 at 12:53pm
Greetings Idil,

If I may interject?

This is what Jesus meant when He said 'I bring not peace but a sword.'
This is about choosing the will of God, or choosing our own will.  Honoring parents is choosing will of God.  Choosing our own will separates us from those who love us.  It is a painful thing we face in this life... choosing our own way or choosing God's way.  Sometimes situations resolve themselves with time.  I think if your sister chooses her own way and the man proves to be a good husband your parents will see this and come around.  If on the other hand, the man proves not to be a Godly husband, your sister will be the loser having been separated from those who will always love her most.  I think it is best always to show patience and give these things time to see if they can be accepted by all parties before making any final decision.  Time usually proves all things.
My daughter made a choice to keep seeing a young man that I once discouraged, but the two of them continued the friendship with full accountability and with boundaries in place, and I came to have respect for the young man and he gained my approval.  He proved himself.
I sympathize with your position of feeling in the middle.
Blessings to you and upon this situation for your sister.

Caringheart Heart

Edited by Caringheart - 19 November 2012 at 12:58pm
Idil View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2012 at 8:05am
Originally posted by Nausheen Nausheen wrote:

Walaikum assalam wa rahamtullah Dear Idil,

I understand that its is the right of parents to be treated with respect and kindness. However it is not their right to dispose their daughters against their (daughters') wishes.  Also, it is not their right to prevent them from marrying who they like.
In some cultures parents go too far with their rights and thus we end up having forced/unhappy marriages.

Just wanted to run a word of caution there.

I hope and pray the whole matter is settled in best possible way.

It would be advisable for your sister to pray istekhara and then leave all to Allah.

Khair inshAllah.

Asalamu Calykum sis,

Insha alalh we will be cautious not to fall on that category of forced/unhappy marriages, but alhamdulaah this is not the case in our community. I am from East Africa and we don`t tend to do arrange marriages let alone forced ones. Parents only need to approve of the decisions that their children make that`s all, and on this point is where most of the conflict happens.

Idil View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2012 at 8:10am
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

Greetings Idil,

If I may interject?

This is what Jesus meant when He said 'I bring not peace but a sword.'
This is about choosing the will of God, or choosing our own will.  Honoring parents is choosing will of God.  Choosing our own will separates us from those who love us.  It is a painful thing we face in this life... choosing our own way or choosing God's way.  Sometimes situations resolve themselves with time.  I think if your sister chooses her own way and the man proves to be a good husband your parents will see this and come around.  If on the other hand, the man proves not to be a Godly husband, your sister will be the loser having been separated from those who will always love her most.  I think it is best always to show patience and give these things time to see if they can be accepted by all parties before making any final decision.  Time usually proves all things.
My daughter made a choice to keep seeing a young man that I once discouraged, but the two of them continued the friendship with full accountability and with boundaries in place, and I came to have respect for the young man and he gained my approval.  He proved himself.
I sympathize with your position of feeling in the middle.
Blessings to you and upon this situation for your sister.

Caringheart Heart

Hi Caringheart,

Thanks for your advice, know that it is appreciated. You got great name by the way. Indeed honoring parents has been made obligatory on all of us and it is just sometimes difficult to meet this criteria. Nowadays , parents in most cases are set in their cultural ways and fail to analyses situations from different perspectives. You have handled the situation with your daughter very good and we can all learn something from this. In most cases, when daughters/sons meet someone the parents disapprove of it results into a great conflict and end up loosing their children.

Edited by Idil - 21 November 2012 at 8:15am
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2012 at 12:08am
Little note: Even if i am not disagree with cross-culture/nationality marriage, we have to realize that many challenges to do so. Here one of the challenges: living as husband and wife is a 24/7 contact, to make the marriage live work you should able to compromise 24/7. Different culture/nationality means much more things need to be compromised (similar like the Dem president with GOP vice president). So we have to be aware of the factor. This one reason that majority of black marry to black, white to white, Pakistani to Pakistani, British to British etc, it doesn't mean they racist. But they only ready/comfortable to deal with their own race 24/7.

Edited by semar - 22 November 2012 at 12:10am
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic