IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Muslims confuse Mary  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Muslims confuse Mary

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Placid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 12:25pm
Hi Experiential,

Quote: According to the Quran (Surah 19:28, 3:33-36), Mary, the mother of Jesus, was the daughter of Imran or Amram, the father of Moses and Aaron.
Mary is also said to be the sister of Moses and Aaron.

Response: --- I am sorry about the negative responses you received when your question is straightforward and fairly easy to answer, considering the time difference, from Moses to the NT. (The others seem to treat it as a trick question.)

However in the Pickthall intro to Surah 3 it gives some explanation.
Surah 3, which is titled, �The Family of Imran� speaks of it as a �lineage�. --- So, from the intro to Surah 3:

Quote: the Family of Imran (the father of Moses) occurs as a generic name for all the Hebrew prophets from Moses to John the Baptist and Jesus Christ. --- This with the mention of the mother of Mary as the �Wife of Imran (3:34), and the words �sister of Aaron,� addressed to Mary in 19:28, have given rise to a charge of anachronism. --- End of quote.

An �anachronism� means --- A chronological error placing an event in a time in which it could not occur.
--- However, again, In Scripture it is often done in places to show �lineage.� Here are some examples:
Matthew 1:20 �But while he thought about these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, �Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take to you Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit.
21 And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.� --- (Joseph, �son of David,� --- but the two were separated by about 1000 years.)

Matthew 21:9 Then the multitudes who went before and those who followed cried out, saying:
�Hosanna to the Son of David!
�Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!�
Hosanna in the highest!�
10 And when He had come into Jerusalem, all the city was moved, saying, �Who is this?�
11 So the multitudes said, �This is Jesus, the prophet from Nazareth of Galilee.�
--- (This was called �The Triumphal Entry� --- Jesus was called �the Son of David.)

Luke 13:14 But the ruler of the synagogue answered with indignation, because Jesus had healed on the Sabbath; and He said to the crowd,
16 So ought not this woman, being a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan has bound�think of it�for eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the Sabbath?� --- (A Jewess, --- �daughter of Abraham� --- separated by some 2380 years.)

The lineage of Mary had to come through the Line of King David, so Moses was born to Amram and Jocebed about 1490 BC, from the Tribe of Levi --- and David was born about 1040 BC, the son of Jesse of Bethlehem, of the tribe of Judah
And Mary, the mother of Jesus was born some years before the Calendar was restarted at the time of the birth of Jesus.

It is interesting that they related their family back to the family of Moses, the great Prophet, --- but it was from Moses� words, that Jews looked forward to another Prophet coming, who was like Moses.
Another interesting thing is that the Hebrew name Miriam was not used again in the OT, and the name Mary, was used only in the NT, and it would appear that she was named Mary (the Greek name for Miriam) ---after Miriam, of the family of Amram. --- (The beautiful story of Miriam�s wisdom is seen in Exodus 2:1-10.)    

These are quite interesting verses you mentioned in Surah 3:
35 Sher Ali: Remember when a woman of Imran said, `My Lord, I have vowed to Thee what is in my womb to be dedicated to Thy service. So do Thou accept it of me; Verily Thou alone art All-Hearing, All-Knowing.'
36 But when she was delivered of it, she said, `My Lord, I am delivered of a female,' - and ALLAH knew best of what she was delivered and the male she desired to have was not like the female she was delivered of - `and I have named her Mary, and I commit her and her offspring to Thy protection from Satan, the rejected.
--- So Mary was especially blessed of God, as seen elsewhere..

There is a little confusion with �Aaron� as the brother of Mary, since there is no clarification.
Khalifa renders it this way in Surah 19:
28 "O descendant of Aaron, your father was not a bad man, nor was your mother unchaste." --- identifying her as a descendant of the �Family of Imram.�

Placid

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic