IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Whats your opinion of liberal sufi unders  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whats your opinion of liberal sufi unders

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ervin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats your opinion of liberal sufi unders
    Posted: 12 November 2012 at 9:01am
I am personally attracted to my understanding of how Sufis see and understand Islam. One of my favourite quotes is by Rumi. The quote is: Wound is where light enters you. If you google Rumi quotes you can read his stuff. Aparently Rumi is one of the most widely read poets in the USA today.

I have spoken once to a Sufi leader here in Melbourne and I asked him about his understanding of hell as that of from the Quran and he said that we are all going to heaven and that hell is a place where your ego goes to burn up.

Now my personal deeper meaning that I see through my reading a bit into what people say is that that means this life.

Anyway, in a sense I might share some of the beliefs he presented to me but they are not quite identical.

So, yeah, what's your opinion of Sufism, as a mystical branch of Islam?

Thanks
Ervin View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ervin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2012 at 12:44am
I posted the following on another Muslim forum. I feel God. I would say that if we get in touch with our essence or should I say our conscience we can feel the truth about God.

The way I see the truth is that there is an infinite Source of everything that exists, whom people traditionally call God and Hem is( I say Hem instead of Him or Her) is best described by myself in one word as Gentleness. The Source of everything that exists is infinitely Gentle.

Thanks

Now, before this post I posted a similar post and someone answered that I am very Sufi. Do you agree?

Thanks
Friendship View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Friendship Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2012 at 11:57am
Assalamu alaikum..

According to my source Sufism is derived from 'Safah' meaning clear or suf meaning wool. They are referring to the Sahabas.

Friendship
lifeforu9 View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lifeforu9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2012 at 10:16pm
Salam
Yes there is such thing as sufism its a world beyound what a normal persons sees. You can read the lives of AULIA ALLAH (friends of ALLAH) like maulana rumi. A sufi sees things beyound what i normal person sees. They practice a lot try to over come there egos,anger etc & do ibadah for the sake of ALLAH there goal is the love of ALLAH (S.W.T) & offcourse the love of Prophet MUHAMMAD (S.A.W).
need more info you can contact me.
nothing View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2012 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by Ervin Ervin wrote:

So, yeah, what's your opinion of Sufism, as a mystical branch of Islam?

Thanks

The way people thinks and perceived things are not the same, it just the way we are. I am not so fond with ritual aspect of Islam but more inclined to see the nature of God himself. Than I was told that it is forbidden to do so. So I just say to them "you do what you like and I do what I like". I live in this world only once and I am racing with time here.

So, since you are racing with time too here now - what are you going to do with it?
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2012 at 12:23am
In the words of a revered sufi shaykh, sufism is 'work'

Sufis are those who have worked enormously to overcome their ego, and have submitted completely to the will of Allah, according to the law given to Muhammad (pbuh).

One cannot be called a sufi just because he like/appreciates 'sufi stuff'.
Those who follow sufi teachings and are in the process of self purification are called 'salik' ie seekers - they have yet not reached the stations/ranks of a sufi, then how can common folks be regarded as sufi who have not even stated treading the path.

You would like to take a look at 'Hikam(Wisdom) of Ibn Ata�llah' This are notes from experiential knowledge of Ibn Ata Illah, a great sufi master of the Shadhili Order.
http://bewley.virtualave.net/hikam.html

One of his students (Ibn Ajiba) wrote a commentary on the Hikam.
http://bewley.virtualave.net/hikam.html

Both these documents are originally in Arabic, and attempts to translations have been made by few people.

I liked Ayesha Bewley's translations, though translations from Sh. Nuh Keller are superior - just that am not sure if they are online.

http://www.masud.co.uk/ISLAM/nuh/hikam1.htm

<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2012 at 12:31am
0n a side note, I did not understand the meaning of 'liberal sufi understanding'from your title.

For any sufi order to be valid, the adherents have to strictly follow Islamic sharia. All great sufi shaikhs were also faqih. Anyone who bypasses the sharia still calls himself a sufi is most probably a fraud, so be careful.
<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
Friendship View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Friendship Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2012 at 2:35am
Assalamu alaikum.

Sufisim and all 'isms' are names and terminologies that have no origin in Islam and hence the Sunna. If Muhammad Rasulullah disapproved the Sahabas addressing themselves 'Muhajirins' and the 'Ansar', why should one address himself as a 'Sufi'?
According to Ibn Taymiyya 'Sufism' was the creation of Abdul Waahid bin Zayd and Abdul Waahid in Basra, the companions of Hasan. I then spread to Indian continent.

Friendship.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic