IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reviews - Media > Radio, TV & Film
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - looking for viewpoints  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

looking for viewpoints

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2012 at 4:59pm
Ah, yes, I've watched a few programs on Islam in Spain.  One I believe was called the Moors of Spain.  Don't know if either program I watched was Discovery channel or not.

Do you approve, or not approve, of the one that you are sharing at the link above?
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 9:50pm
Ok, so tonight I watched Charlie Rose, as I often do.  He was interviewing Thomas L. Friedman.  Did anyone happen to catch this?  If not I would also like to suggest it.  I do not understand the arguments just because of the name of this man.  Had I not mentioned his name would anyone have watched the video I asked about in order to share their viewpoints?  I find Thomas L. Friedman to be quite fair minded, rational, and well versed... in fact he is pretty much pro-mid-eastern.
If you disagree please watch what I've asked and tell me why you disagree.  I'd really like to know.
Thanks.
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2012 at 3:56pm
If anyone has watched, or will watch, The Road to 9/11, also put out by PBS,   
Tell me what you agree or disagree with.
Thanks.
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2012 at 4:23pm
Caringheart, I would like to watch the program, but where do I find it?  Is it viewable online? Can you provide a link?
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2012 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

Caringheart, I would like to watch the program, but where do I find it?  Is it viewable online? Can you provide a link?

Hi Ron,

I got it through Netflix... Any chance you have Netflix?  If not I imagine it would be available through any video store or even library... Well, I guess that depends on where you live.  I don't know if it might be available some other way online.  My computer is no good with streaming media... too old.  You could check PBS.org.  Smile
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 7:05am

Biased

This documentary has many subtle and not-so-subtle biases that really hinder its overall quality and usefulness as a teaching tool. It is presented almost completely from a pro-Western, pro-Israel perspective, with no mention of the events in Iran in 1954, the Suez in 1956, or the plight of the Palestinian people since 1948 (except to place the blame solely on Arab regimes), among other problems. It does however tightly cover quite a bit of the 20th century Middle East political experience, and features various prominent commentators like Bernard Lewis, Fareed Zakaria, and Thomas Friedman, and the production quality is of high value. You just have to learn to ignore the ominous, quasi-satanic music playing in the background when Nasser is mentioned, and the inspiring trumpet blasts of freedom and human decency when the story moves on to Israel. So long as this isn't the only source you consult in your efforts to understand the "road to 9/11" then it is worthwhile in spite of its flaws.

Douglas M. Penhallegon "History Teacher" (Pittsburgh, PA)

Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 7:04pm
I am interested only in personal opinions.

For every negative review I am sure I could provide a positive review if that is what I was looking for.

I did not notice any
"ominous, quasi-satanic music playing in the background when Nasser is mentioned,"
or any
"inspiring trumpet blasts of freedom and human decency when the story moves on to Israel."

I will watch again but would have to say if it was not noticed the first time then it obviously is/was of little effect. 

I formed little to no opinion of Nasser but only considered it informative regarding events that took place in Egypt.

Edited by Caringheart - 14 October 2012 at 7:15pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic