IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is art more important than peaceful co-existence?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is art more important than peaceful co-existence?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghazzali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is art more important than peaceful co-existence?
    Posted: 30 September 2012 at 4:03am
Aassalamualaikum. With particular reference to the cartoons and films about Prophet Muhammad (pbuh), there is obviously a school of thought that believes artists should have the right and freedom to express their thoughts, even if it hurts the feelings of any particular community. I was just trying to find the logic behind it, from a non-islamic perspective. Is art more important to human civilization than the peaceful co-existence of various communities? I am not downplaying the importance of art in human civilization. Art has greatly enriched human civilization, no doubt about it. But is it really necessary to create art that will cause riots and wars and spread hatred among various communities? Can't we live without it? We can't live without peaceful co-existence, that's for sure. Anybody has the right to believe that Muhammad (pbuh) was a womanizer, a mass murderer, a paedophile, etc. if he/she thinks that is the truth. But why must he/she draw a cartoon, knowing it would disrupt the peaceful co-existence of different communities in this world? How can a piece of art be more valuable to human civilization if it destroys the very fabric of civilization, i.e. peaceful co-existence?

Just share your thoughts. I would especially like to hear from atheists and humanists in this forum. Thank you.
The world is a dangerous place to live in, not because of the bad people, but because of the good people who does not do anything about it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic