IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - SATAN  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SATAN

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahdi The Seeke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SATAN
    Posted: 19 September 2012 at 4:33pm
Mathew
15 �But what about you?� he asked. �Who do you say I am?� 16 Simon Peter answered, �You are the Messiah, the Son
of the living God.� 17 Jesus replied, �Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for
this was not revealed to you
by flesh and blood, but by my
Father in heaven. 18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my
church, and the gates of Hades [c] will not overcome it. 19 I will give you the keys of the
kingdom of heaven; whatever
you bind on earth will be[d] bound in heaven, and
whatever you loose on earth
will be[e] loosed in heaven.� 20 Then he ordered his disciples not to tell anyone
that he was the Messiah.
21 From that time on Jesus began to explain to his
disciples that he must go to
Jerusalem and suffer many
things at the hands of the
elders, the chief priests and
the teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and on
the third day be raised to life. 22 Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. �Never,
Lord!� he said. �This shall
never happen to you!� 23 Jesus turned and said to Peter, �Get behind me, Satan!
You are a stumbling block to
me; you do not have in mind
the concerns of God, but
merely human concerns.�

Edited by Mahdi The Seeke - 19 September 2012 at 4:52pm
Power of GOD View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power of GOD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2014 at 11:48am
Originally posted by Mahdi The Seeke Mahdi The Seeke wrote:

Mathew
15 �But what about you?� he asked. �Who do you say I am?� 16 Simon Peter answered, �You are the Messiah, the Son
of the living God.� 17 Jesus replied, �Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for
this was not revealed to you
by flesh and blood, but by my
Father in heaven. 18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my
church, and the gates of Hades [c] will not overcome it. 19 I will give you the keys of the
kingdom of heaven; whatever
you bind on earth will be[d] bound in heaven, and
whatever you loose on earth
will be[e] loosed in heaven.� 20 Then he ordered his disciples not to tell anyone
that he was the Messiah.
21 From that time on Jesus began to explain to his
disciples that he must go to
Jerusalem and suffer many
things at the hands of the
elders, the chief priests and
the teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and on
the third day be raised to life. 22 Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. �Never,
Lord!� he said. �This shall
never happen to you!� 23 Jesus turned and said to Peter, �Get behind me, Satan!
You are a stumbling block to
me; you do not have in mind
the concerns of God, but
merely human concerns.�

The command �Get behind me, Satan,� spoken to Peter by Jesus, is recorded in Matthew 16:23 and Mark 8:33. �Get behind me, Satan� seems harsh and out of character for Jesus, especially when addressing Peter, one of His most devout disciples. Why did Jesus say this? What was it Peter did to deserve such a rebuke? Without knowing it, Peter was speaking for Satan.

Jesus had just revealed to His disciples for the first time the plan: He was to go to Jerusalem to suffer, die, and be raised to life (
Matthew 16:21; Mark 8:31). Contrary to their expectations of Him, Jesus explained that He had not come to establish an earthly Messianic kingdom at that time. The disciples were not prepared for this new revelation of the Messiah�s purpose. Though Peter understood His words, he simply could not reconcile his view of the conquering Messiah with the suffering and death Jesus spoke of. So Peter �began to rebuke Him� for having such a fatalistic mindset.

Unwittingly, Peter was speaking for Satan. Like Jesus� adversary, Peter was not setting his mind on the things of God�His ways, His plans, and His purposes (
Colossians 3:2; Isaiah 55:8-9). Instead, his mind was set on the things of man, the things of the world and its earthly values. Jesus was saying that the way of the cross was God�s will, the plan of redemption for all mankind. Peter�s reaction was most likely shared by the other disciples although, as always, it was Peter who spoke first. Peter was inadvertently being used of Satan in thinking he was protecting Jesus. Satan had purposely tempted Jesus in the wilderness to divert Him from the cross, from fulfilling the grand design of the Father and the Son (Mark 1:12-13). Innocently, Peter was doing the same thing. He had not yet grasped Jesus� true Messianic purpose.

Although Peter had just moments before declared Jesus as the Christ, he turned from God�s perspective and viewed the situation from man�s perspective, which brought about the stern rebuke: �Get behind me, Satan!� Jesus went on to explain: �You do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men� (
Mark 8:33).

Edited by Power of GOD - 17 July 2014 at 11:49am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic