IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Golden Age of Islam  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Golden Age of Islam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Golden Age of Islam
    Posted: 17 December 2012 at 8:41am
Good to know about the returning expats! Modern Afghans can win the fight against the Stone Age Taliban, but it will be hard. 
A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
JeddahBoy View Drop Down

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeddahBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2012 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by Matt Browne Matt Browne wrote:

Well, the clean slate of Afghanistan is threatened by the Taliban, which still has millions of supporters. Now the foreign troops are leaving. What could happen to the investments in education? Well, the first thing will be all schools for girls getting closed. And schools for boys will be mainly about memorizing the Qur'an and practicing Jihad. The Taliban need to shrink to the size of the neo-Nazis in Germany which consists of a couple of thousand dimwits which can be controlled. Will this happen?

Very big threat indeed.  But it's nice to know that it's not stopping Afghan expats from returning.  Lots of internationals still contributing - it's a fight. 

My point is this.  The reason I started this discussion is because I felt that Islam now is so far from what it was before.  And yet we have all these modern conveniences and advancement.  Yes, Greece now is so far from Ancient Greece and Italy now is so far from Renaissance Italy.

But I think their common thread is that there was a desire to learn.  To be better than what they were before.  We are so better than this.       
JeddahBoy View Drop Down

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeddahBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2012 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

Hello jeddaboy,
I was sorry to see the news reports today of the Philippines and the typhoon.  Unhappy
I immediately thought of you.
Caringheart

I appreciate it...see, I told you we're not there yet...and it's always the poor people who suffer when these things happen *sigh*
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2012 at 2:50pm
The 'golden age of Islam' occurred due to the free exchange of ideas... freedom of speech.  Education, advancement and discovery blossomed when the knowledge of all people was combined to work together.  The 'golden age of Islam' was actually the golden age of sharing ideas and knowledge, and working towards a common good.
No golden age will occur as long as any country is on lockdown. Disapprove

Edited by Caringheart - 16 December 2012 at 2:53pm
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2012 at 7:09am
Well, the clean slate of Afghanistan is threatened by the Taliban, which still has millions of supporters. Now the foreign troops are leaving. What could happen to the investments in education? Well, the first thing will be all schools for girls getting closed. And schools for boys will be mainly about memorizing the Qur'an and practicing Jihad. The Taliban need to shrink to the size of the neo-Nazis in Germany which consists of a couple of thousand dimwits which can be controlled. Will this happen?

Edited by Matt Browne - 16 December 2012 at 7:10am
A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2012 at 3:26pm
Hello jeddaboy,
I was sorry to see the news reports today of the Philippines and the typhoon.  Unhappy
I immediately thought of you.
Caringheart
JeddahBoy View Drop Down

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeddahBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2012 at 8:36am
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

Good posts jeddaboy, and I'd say that the Philippines have gone through just about as much as anyone would wish to go through.  They've have tough times, yet they have made it haven't they?
Yes, education is key.
It is my understanding that at one time that was one of the strongest points in Afghanistan and among the Afghanistan people... before Russia came along and then when Russia was driven out the taliban drove out everything good which once existed there.

We haven't made it yet...but we are getting there...coz now our president brings such positive energy even though I had doubts about him...

Just like the other countries, we have struggled with corruption...we have to own up to that...but it is hard when there are powerful countries waving money in front of our public servants' faces in order to favor them....and they stop thinking of their own people.  I don't think that happened to Malaysia, Korea, Singapore, and Japan as much as our countries.  We countries who are of strategic interest.  And it sucks being a war zone....

So change from the top is not going to work as long as they continue to get bribed by certain powers.  It has to be from the bottom.  It's much harder, but now with information technology we can make it happen. 
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2012 at 2:46pm
Good posts jeddaboy, and I'd say that the Philippines have gone through just about as much as anyone would wish to go through.  They've have tough times, yet they have made it haven't they?
Yes, education is key.
It is my understanding that at one time that was one of the strongest points in Afghanistan and among the Afghanistan people... before Russia came along and then when Russia was driven out the taliban drove out everything good which once existed there.

Edited by Caringheart - 04 December 2012 at 2:49pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic