IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Calling yourself religious....  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Calling yourself religious....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purple Cup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2012 at 8:10pm
A person would have a good feeling as to if they feel they are pious. Surely there are many who identify as Muslims but do nothing to adhere to Islam path and thus we would say he is not religious. I do not think it's an ego thing but we can also determine in our own minds whether someone who says they are pious and what we see from them in their errors.

Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2012 at 7:18am
Very interesting topic.

I personally feel slightly sceptical of people who call themselves 'religious'... don't know why. I feel just as sceptical (for lack of a better word) about people who tend to be too self-deprecating by saying how they are such sinners (in order to convey humility). One should be in the middle...

Also, has anyone ever asked you if you are religious? How do you respond? I can't seem to respond to this question in one sentence, I tend to get into a 1000 word essay :)
'
Once during a school photograph, the photographer (pakistani muslim) asked me if he could take the picture, or was I 'Islamic' ? I mean, how do you respond? :)

Edited by Chrysalis - 25 October 2012 at 7:19am
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2012 at 9:12am
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

Greetings Nausheen,
It's been awhile.  Smile

"When we call ourselves religious, many a times we end up treating others with a snob, an aura or supiriority etc. We dont have a right to do that."

I agree with that statement too.  If a person behaves in this way they are not truly religious... belonging to God... are they?  Maybe this is why I don't believe in religion.  Too many people belong to a religion like one belongs to a club.  They don't know what it really means to belong to God and God alone, serving Him, and not themselves and their own purposes.

"I dont think people have a right to call themselves whatever they like and then go about infringing others' personal space ... point to ponder."

Right... and Hmmm.  Smile  I still say we need to stand for God.  It is in how we do that, that matters.  It is a hard call.

I shared this on another site;
I believe God has come to us in many ways across the generations to try to reach and guide our hearts to Him. It is up to us to "keep what is good and reject what is not good." *    To discern the Truth.

* But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good;. King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.) ... word of God, and what they found to be true they were to embrace; what was false they were to reject

I recommend reading this link, there is too much there to share but I think so important. Read the commentaries particularly.
http://bible.cc/1_th...onians/5-21.htm

Blessings to you,
Caringheart

oh sure its been quite a while. Hope things are good at your end :)

Thank you for the response and the quotes. Unfortunately I could not open the link - perhaps its broken.

>>I believe God has come to us in many ways across the generations to try to reach and guide our hearts to Him. It is up to us to "keep what is good and reject what is not good." * To discern the Truth.<<

Absolutely!

Would like to add - God is in our hearts, He guides those of us who turn to Him inwardly.  When we know Him through our hearts, we dont worry what others think of us (religious or not), and we ourselves get so busy with Him, we forget to worry what denominations to give ourselves.

peace and blessings to you!

<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic