IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Arabic Language
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How I learned Arabic  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How I learned Arabic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sultanmuradII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How I learned Arabic
    Posted: 02 August 2012 at 6:11am
Salam,

I have been learning arabic for a long time, mainly self study, but it is only recently I started to excel in my learning. I thought I'd share my experience so others perhaps can benefit. BTW I would say I am about 2/3 of the way in having a good advanced level grasp of the language.

There are now so many resources to learn Arabic now, some more useful than others.

Nothing comes close to human teaching, and even in this category you get excellent teachers, and poor teachers. However even with a good teacher, you will make faster progress if you put in extra hours of self study and revision.

NUMBER 1 Rule to make excellent progress from day one is to learn sentences with in a context, and then phrases with in sentences and lastly words with in phrases and not the other way around.

The biggest problem in learning, I found is grasping the the meaning of words and phrases, and that can be very difficult from just books or software.

PC Software is generally not that helpful, I completed Rosetta stone all 3 levels, it helped to familiarise the sounds of words and short sentences, but lacked hugely in building upon these short phrases in other contexts, not to mention containing grammatical errors.

For a good grasp of grammar rules I reccomend completing the 3 Medina Arabic Books including doing every exercise in the book.

The best learning book I found from the 10 or so books I have attempted is the Al-Arabiyya bayna Yadayk.

That's it for now, I'll add more later, insha-Allah.
AbellaIvan View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbellaIvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 5:11am
Arabic is very interesting language. Also i love it because if i here it on a cassette or Cd player it sounds very beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
someone View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2013 at 5:29am

Intensive Winter Program

Learn Arabic and Enjoy warm Winter in Egypt

Pay only 465 Euro and Enjoy:
50 Hours of Arabic Lessons
Accommodation
Free Airport shuttle
Free Placement Test
Free Certificate

And more options (60 Hours, 80 Hour and 100 Hours) , Each program includes Accommodation in our student residence flats, free shuttle to and from the airport, free wireless DSL in our center and free placement tests/certificates.

For more information, please visit:
http://www.arabeya.org/index.php/our-programs/winter-intensive-program-2011-2012

abellong View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abellong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2013 at 8:11pm
Your experience is very useful to me,thanks.
The Lord View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2013 at 9:38pm
arabic is very difficult language Compared to english because having so many words having same meaning and difficult grammars
if you need any help i will be in the service
cause i can speak arabic well
Ahmed_masrawey View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahmed_masrawey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2013 at 6:03am
That sounds great sultanmuradII

Arabic language is one of the most wonderful languages you can ever enjoy, My dad is an Arabic teacher, he made me love the language very much, and i have reached to a professional degree Alhamd L Allah..

Thanks for sharing your experience :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic