IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hijab - Freedom NOT Oppression : Opinion  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hijab - Freedom NOT Oppression : Opinion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2012 at 12:22pm
This thread has begged the question for me;

Did not God design the 'laws of attraction', did he not make us to be one attractive to the other in order to procreate?  Did he make this design that it should be covered?  Hidden?  What did Adam and Eve do after they had sinned?  They covered themselves.

Just some thoughts.
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2012 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

This thread has begged the question for me;

Did not God design the 'laws of attraction', did he not make us to be one attractive to the other in order to procreate?  Did he make this design that it should be covered?  Hidden?  What did Adam and Eve do after they had sinned?  They covered themselves.

Just some thoughts.

Yup, covering ones body is something Adam and Eve started. Almost all cultures value modesty and covering oneself. Its interesting that up until a few decades ago, almost all cultures pretty much covered the same body parts, with slight differences. Even in the west men wore hats, women wore bonnets. Clothes were normally full sleeved, with full pants. Women wore long skirts or gowns. The same goes for Asian cultures like Koreans, Chinese, Japanese, Indians etc. Look at their traditional garbs, very modest clothing.

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2012 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by Chrysalis Chrysalis wrote:

Yup, covering ones body is something Adam and Eve started. Almost all cultures value modesty and covering oneself. Its interesting that up until a few decades ago, almost all cultures pretty much covered the same body parts, with slight differences. Even in the west men wore hats, women wore bonnets. Clothes were normally full sleeved, with full pants. Women wore long skirts or gowns. The same goes for Asian cultures like Koreans, Chinese, Japanese, Indians etc. Look at their traditional garbs, very modest clothing.

The people in Africa, and in the islands where the climates were hot all the time, did not, and I honestly think that this is where it began to seep into the culture, when people began to travel to these places and they saw that the men were inflamed with desire by these scantily clad natives.  When men started taking these for wives.

Edited by Caringheart - 09 August 2012 at 9:00pm
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2012 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Matt Browne Matt Browne wrote:

Vitamin D pills with the proper dosage are expensive. Millions of the fully cloaked women can't afford to buy them. Sunshine is for free. All that is needed is getting rid of full hijabs.

Fulfilling religious obligations are not for people that live on excuses. Even accepting God as their creator can be a problem for them.
Human body is very capable of adjusting to environment and to food. Faith and trust in the fact that God has not put on us anything we cannot bear is a believer's best fulfilling source against any deficiencies, psychological or physical.
Take fasting for example: in other months when we (muslims) don't fast, I get thirsty very easy as my body needs a lot of water ( I normally consume 6-10 glasses of water) and if I don't drink water for a few hours I cannot function properly. This year we are experiencing Ramadan (fasting month)right now (July-August). In these hot days of South Texas when the temperature stays above 100F everyday, to not to drink a single drop of water during the day light heat and functioning normal is amazing, isn't it. Not only that, the books you read will tell you its not a good thing to do. But I, like many practicing Muslims have been fasting since I was little, I still am pretty healthy. In fact during fast, somehow (I call it with the help of Allah) the day goes better, my body seem to go through a natural overhaul because the blood pressure and heart beat reading come absolute normal, better than other times. All my senses seem to respond better than other times, not to mention many many other benefits. I can tell you that despite lack of any food or water intake all day (16 hours)all of that is amazing, isn't it?
I guess it all comes, when you truly believe, otherwise it can a burden hard to fulfill and can hurt you.

2:286 (Asad) God does not burden any human being with more than he is well able to bear: in his favour shall be whatever good he does, and against him whatever evil he does.

Hasan

Edited by honeto - 11 August 2012 at 12:18pm
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

hakeema View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hakeema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2012 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Matt Browne Matt Browne wrote:

Vitamin D pills with the proper dosage are expensive. Millions of the fully cloaked women can't afford to buy them. Sunshine is for free. All that is needed is getting rid of full hijabs.

@Matt, For the record their are women who have low Vitamin D and they don't dress fully covered at all. So, is this really about Muslim women getting enough Vitamin D or do you have a problem with muslim women being fully covered? If you do have a problem with muslim women who dress fully covered what do you plan to do to muslim women who wears Hijab?

For the record, Many of us(including myself) fully cover out of obedience to Allah not because men tell us to.
hakeema View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hakeema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2012 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

The people in Africa, and in the islands where the climates were hot all the time, did not, and I honestly think that this is where it began to seep into the culture, when people began to travel to these places and they saw that the men were inflamed with desire by these scantily clad natives.� When men started taking these for wives.

@Caringheart,

What are you talking about? Have you ever studied the real history of Africa? Do you know about Kingdoms of Africa such Kush, Nubia, Mali, Dogon, Songhay and Kemet(Egypt)etc? Did you know that these kingdoms had there own schools, writing systems, governmental structure and wore pretty clothing etc. Have you ever gone to Africa? Did you know in Ghana and Nigeria that the average temp is 80 degrees?

Edited by hakeema - 11 August 2012 at 4:07pm
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2012 at 3:29am
Originally posted by Chrysalis Chrysalis wrote:

Even men cover their faces in many countries. Bedouin Arab males also cover their faces, just like the women. In fact, they cover the same area of skin as the women. They even cover their heads.

You're missing the point, Chrysalis. If the same rules apply for both men and women there is no unfairness. In windy desert areas protecting the face can make sense. In Germany when men and women drive motorcycles they both wear helmets. Inuit men and women protect themselves against icy winds covering their faces.

I'm talking about places like Cairo, Riyadh, Kandahar and London. Muslim men are part of public life and women are reduced to identically looking ghosts without an individual personality. And Allah sends them to hell if they don't obey their husbands. We won't have any of this in our Western countries and good Christian men and women will continue to fight for the rights of Muslim women in our countries. Our values count too. Muslims can't assume their values replace the values of everyone else.

Edited by Matt Browne - 12 August 2012 at 3:48am
A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2012 at 3:36am
Honeto, covering arms and the face is not fulfilling a religious obligation. A modest dress is all that is needed. And this can be a jeans and a t-shirt.

Let's take the situation in Western countries. A modest person does not draw attention to their own real or supposed accomplishments and desirable attributes. But Muslim women wearing full-body covers including face veils are doing exactly that. They are not modest. They are boastful telling everyone: Look, here, a member of the world's best religion.

A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
  Share Topic