IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional > Americas
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Sharia in Canada (or not)  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sharia in Canada (or not)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kim! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sharia in Canada (or not)
    Posted: 21 September 2005 at 7:04am

Hi, was listening to the radio this morning and they were discussing the fact that Canada has suddenly decided that they will have no family courts based upon religious beliefs. They had been heading towards establishing a Sharia court of family law for Muslims who wanted to be able to make that choice. However, the Canadians changed their minds and it turns out that even many Muslims in Canada agree with this change of heart.

They inerviewed a guy named Tariq Fatah who openly claimed that not only were many Canadian Muslims against the idea of having different laws for different people but that Shariah laws are completely un-Islamic. I was gobsmacked - I had never heard anyone say such a thing before! He said that Sharia laws are man-made laws created by Sultans many centuries ago who wanted to keep their power and to keep control of their citizens.

What do you think of his statement?

Kim...

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2005 at 11:36am

Hi Kim!,

Tarek Fatah is a thorn in my side!  He is constantly quoted in the Canadian media as if he is a spokesperson for all Canadian Muslims - it is really a pain!  This man, by his actions and words is no practicing Muslim (I am not judging, that is Allah's dominion - I am only stating facts by what is there in full view in the media). 

He is very outspoken and pushy and writes a lot of letters to the editor and so forth, he also has a television show.  This very unIslamic man has become the face and voice of Islam in this country.  It makes me want to scream!!!!!

We have plenty of "real" Muslims who make statements and hold events and so forth, but, as is the case in most western countries, the media only gives a lot of press to the 'muslims' who are most like them.  It is so sad and so frustrating.  My only consolation is knowing that Mr. Fatah will face Allah on the Judgement Day - let's see him talk his way out of that one  !!!!!

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Whisper View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whisper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2005 at 3:55pm
Sister Ummziba, upstarts know how to use whatever means for climbing socio-political ladders. But they never win even in this world, somehow something somewhere makes them slip, always.
Mohammed View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mohammed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2006 at 12:10pm
Never will sharia law be allowed in any western country, it is as abismal betrayal of old sultanistic government, I for one, would want to see muslims stand by the laws of the countries they emmigrate to, if you can't, then get out. Simple, don't drag me down, I am now westernised, and want to stay that way, my best friend is a Christian, and if I have to change beliefs to remain, I will,.....Islam is old now, it is not modern, we have to live with the west, grow with the west, embrace the west, god resting, just get on with it....
ak_m_f View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ak_m_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2006 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by Mohammed Mohammed wrote:

Never will sharia law be allowed in any western country, it is as abismal betrayal of old sultanistic government, I for one, would want to see muslims stand by the laws of the countries they emmigrate to, if you can't, then get out. Simple, don't drag me down, I am now westernised, and want to stay that way, my best friend is a Christian, and if I have to change beliefs to remain, I will,.....Islam is old now, it is not modern, we have to live with the west, grow with the west, embrace the west, god resting, just get on with it....

Can Mod or Admin to an IP scan of this guy to see if he is not amlhabibi2000. Lot of similarity
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2006 at 1:46pm

Bismillah,

M has said in another post this week that he is no longer Muslim.  A brother spells his name Mohammad, and he is Muslim.  I reiterate another brother's request to you from that other forum:  Please change your name to Bill or ex-Muslim or maybe Ex-Mohammed so people will know who they are dealing with.

Who would be the Canadian spokesperson you support, Sister Umzibba?

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
ak_m_f View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ak_m_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2006 at 2:46pm

Y he turned away from Islam ?

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2006 at 4:15pm

Assalamu alaikum,

Sis Herjihad, you ask:

Who would be the Canadian spokesperson you support, Sister Umzibba?

I am not too familiar with who has been used as "spokespersons" for Islam here in Canada, I can only go by what I see on T.V. or read in newspapers.  I have great respect for Sheikh Ahmad Kutty (Toronto).  I also admire the views of Dr. Mohamed Elmasry, the chair and National President of the Canadian Islamic Congress, as well as his vice-chair and Nat'l Vice-Pres., Mrs. Wahida Valiante.  Of course, I have not seen them consulted much by the media, they tend to go for the more "modern/western/just like other Canadian" types (who are really so un-Islamic!).

There are others I have seen on T.V. or read in newspapers, but their names escape me.  I know there is one Sister from Winnipeg (I think), who is often on T.V. and is lovely to listen to, I think her first name is Shahida...

I have a great admiration, as well, for a Toronto Star columnist, Haroon Siddiqui.  His views are very Islamic and he expresses himself well in print and on T.V.  My favorite "Canadian Muslim" would be Ezz E. Gadd, the presenter of a T.V. show called Reflections on Islam.  To me, he is the epitome of someone who is Canadian and Muslim without compromising either.  His show is so lovely to watch, his lessons so clear and full of good sense.

Anyway, as far as spokesperson in the media, as there is no one consumate Canadian authority for Islam, it tends to be hit and miss, and varies by region as well.  For example, in the west (Manitoba to the Pacific), those you see/hear in the media will be different than those in Ontario, Quebec and different again in the east.

So, all and all, coverage of Islamic news in Canada is confusing (so many different views), annoying (when they use un-Islamic or even secular spokespeople) and perplexing (to non-Muslims) and frustrating (to Muslims)!!!!

Wish I could be more helpful, thanks for asking!

Peace, ummziba.

Edited by ummziba
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic