IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Marriages In Islam  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Marriages In Islam

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiiDRA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marriages In Islam
    Posted: 07 July 2012 at 5:52pm
As-Salamu Alaykum,

In the name of Allah, the most gracious, the most merciful.

Marriage in Islam is a contract (Nikaah) between the husband and the wife outlining the basic responsibilities and regulations within the couples relationship. In Islam it is advised to have at least two witnesses present during the contract (Nikaah)

The Prophet (PBUH) said: �There is no marriage except with a wali and two witnesses of good character". Narrated by al-Bayhaqi from the hadeeth of �Imraan and �Aa�ishah; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami�, no. 7557

Marriage in Islam holds good values and helps men and women to control their sexual desires towards the opposite sex. Islam recognizes the value of sex and companionship and advocates marriage as the foundation for families. The Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said:"Marriage is my Sunnah (teachings of the Prophet) and whoever does not follow my Sunnah is not my true follower" (Ibn Haiah, Babun Nikah).

You can tell from the Hadeeth above the importance of a Muslim individual to get married in Islam.

As you must have heard about the love of Prophet Muhammed (pbuh) towards his first wife Bibi Khadija (ra). Let me start by telling you some facts about Bibi Khadija (ra).

She was known as one of the most noble and had a superior status amongst those around those times. She was the most respected lady and known for her decency and wisdom. In spite all of this she was also the wealthiest lady in Makkah, Even before she became a Muslim she never worshipped an idol.

Allah selected to accompany the Prophet in his struggle to carry on the message at its most vulnerable stages. Khadijah, whose name in Quraish was �the pure woman� married the man whose name was �the honest and trustworthy� What a perfect match ...

The year that Bibi Khadija (ra) had passed away, the campanions called that year 'The year of grief'. The love of Bibi Khadija (ra) stayed in the Prophets (pbuh) heart. Many years later, he would be sitting with Aisha when someone knocks on the door and a voice asks for permission to enter. The Prophet said: 'Khadijah' and hastened to open saying 'Oh Allah, make it Haala' (Khadija�s sister) and it was Haala.

And when he sacrificed animals, he used to send gifts to Khadijah�s friends, so much that Aisha got jealous and said: Khadijah, as if the whole world is only Khadijah. The Prophet said (in its meaning):'Aisha, don�t speak badly about Khadijah, I love her and I will love whoever loves her.'

Another day, when the Muslims captured the Prophet�s son in law, Al-Aas ib Al-Rabei, who was not a Muslim and was fighting against him in Badr, his wife Zainab (the Prophet�s daughter) wanted to ransom him. She sent him Khadijah�s necklace and when the Prophet saw it he recognized it and sobbed. Then he said to his companions (in its meaning): 'if you see it fit to give her back her prisoner and her necklace, do.' The companions were moved by the Prophet�s grief and agreed. He gave the necklace back to the man and said (in its meaning) 'take the necklace back to Zainab and tell her to keep Khadijah�s necklace safe".

As you can tell that the prophet loved his first wife so much, that he would get tears over seeing her things.

It is explained in the Quran that you can marry up to 4 women, only if you treat them well and equal. If not it is considered a sin. Also you may marry who you choose but then again there are ways of explaining it to your parents and having their agreement to the marriage.

And if you fear that you shall not be able to deal justly with the orphan-girls, then marry (other) women of your choice, two or three, or four but if you fear that you shall not be able to deal justly (with them), then only one or (the captives and the slaves) that your right hands possess. That is nearer to prevent you from doing injustice. An-Nisa Verse No:3

Having said that, I have heard many stories about force marriages and arranged. I am no one to decide any ones future and nor are you. Allah knows best ! As Islam describes marriages to be a control over sexual desires, do you not think it would be in every ones best to let the girl/boy to choose or agree on their future partner .. then again Allah knows best ...

The responsibilities of both the husband and wife are:

- The wife should seek to be a source of calm and rest for her husband
- Husband and wife must seek to sexually fulfil each other whenever needed in order to remove that need or want from one another, in this way can they help one another.
- The wife should be receptive to her husband and his needs, and the husband should remember Allah to purify his mind before intercourse.
- The husband must live with his wife in a correct and courteous manner
- Women are required to be devoutly obedient to their husbands
- Both husband and wife should cover each other like a cloth and honour each other
- The husband should show his affections and his love to his wife and the same for the wife

And many more ....

May Allah Guide Us To His Jannah

Ameen
krisstewart View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisstewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2012 at 8:36am
In Islam, marriage is not restricted to a platonic relationship between husband and wife, nor is it solely for procreation.
atomicforex View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomicforex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2012 at 11:34am
I have a quit strange history with my muslim religion..
It was actually a woman who introduced me to it and I can say that this have shaken my world. At first it's difficult to process all those information, but once you start to think about it - it start to make sense. From that there is no way back...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic