IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : New Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Reverts- Let's Create a New Muslim Survival Guide!  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reverts- Let's Create a New Muslim Survival Guide!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reverts- Let's Create a New Muslim Survival Guide!
    Posted: 03 October 2012 at 8:51am
Friendship View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Friendship Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2012 at 2:04pm
Assalamu alaika Mella.

1. You said. It's ok not to be perfect. You will never be perfect, but it's the intention that counts. You don't have to pray perfectly right off the bat. You don't have to behave perfectly immediately. Have patience, forgive yourself and ask Allah (swt) for forgiveness when you make a mistake. He is the Most Gracious and the Most Merciful after all.

Response. It is not a true understanding of the purpose of sending Messengers. Please make effort to learn Islam and forget what the distorters of the meaning of Islam said out of apology and inability to pursue the correct Sunna. Allah says in th following:
a. Qur'an 95:4-5, "Verily, We created man in thr best stature (mould).
b. Aur'an 3110, "You are best people ever raised up for mankind; you follow the Sunna of Muhammad Rasulullah, and forbid any act not aaccording to his practice.
c. 33:21, "Indeed in the Messenger of Allah you have a good example to follow for him who hopes for the meeeting with Allah and the Last Day, and remembers Allah much.
d. 33:71, "And whosoever obeys Allah and His Messenger, he has indeed achieved a great achievenment."  

2. You said. The words in the shahada are the most important. They're you're foundation and as long as you believe them, you are Muslim. It's better to be a less than perfect Muslim than a nonbeliever. It's ok to question what you read and hear. Questions lead to a deeper understanding and I guarantee you that everything you question will have a logical answer, even those rules that might have seemed "unfair" before. Always seek a deeper level of knowledge and ALWAYS ask WHY.
Response: It is true only as it applies to the heart. It has no merit on the one who does not follow the Sunna of Muhammad Rasulullah. The Shahada just saves your blood.

3. You said: Some sisters and brothers will approach you and try to teach you the "right" way to be a Muslim. They might offend you by telling you every time they think you're doing something that is haram. It's ok. They're trying to help. Understand that Islam is a beautifully diverse religion full of people from literally every corner of the globe. There are customs and traditions which play into their way of worshipping Allah (swt) that might be different from what you were told. Remember, always thank them for their help, but go to the source (we all know what that is, right? ) when you have doubts.
Response: Al nasiha is the key to correct the Muslim Umma. Anyone who sees an abominable act and keeps quiet, will be dragged to hell. It is not allowed to join the sinners or those who do not know.

I hope you will understand my late comment.

Friendship.

Edited by Friendship - 03 October 2012 at 11:22am
shaheed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaheed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2012 at 1:03am
13. Visit more often the Islamic centers at your area, you will make new friends and learn more about Islam.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2012 at 6:40pm
12. It is ok to keep your name.  You don't have to change it to a "good" name.
lady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2012 at 1:01am
Smile
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2012 at 12:55am
Walaikkum As'alaamu

5. Don't be pressured into following a Madhab as they were created by men.

6. It's ok to question a scholar, some Muslims take their word as 'gospel'.

7. It's ok to sit on a chair whilst praying, if you have difficulty in bowing and prostration.

8. It's ok to understand the Holy Qur'an other than the language of Arabic, 95% of Muslims do not know Arabic.

9. It's ok to question some of the Hadiths, THERE ARE CONTRADICTIONS. After all they are classed in different levels.

10. You might forget that you are a new Muslim and will shake hands with the opposite sex, try to desist. lol

If I think of any more I will post here Insha'Allah.

Masalama
joyful85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joyful85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2012 at 4:12pm
Mella82 View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mella82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2012 at 9:26am
Assalamu Alaikum!

I was just thinking, although I have so much to learn (in fact I'll never be done learning) there are some things that I wish I had known when I first took my shahada. For all of you reverts out there, what is something you wish you had understood back when you took your first steps??

Here's my list:

1. It's ok not to be perfect. You will never be perfect, but it's the intention that counts. You don't have to pray perfectly right off the bat. You don't have to behave perfectly immediately. Have patience, forgive yourself and ask Allah (swt) for forgiveness when you make a mistake. He is the Most Gracious and the Most Merciful after all.

2. The words in the shahada are the most important. They're you're foundation and as long as you believe them, you are Muslim. It's better to be a less than perfect Muslim than a nonbeliever. It's ok to question what you read and hear. Questions lead to a deeper understanding and I guarantee you that everything you question will have a logical answer, even those rules that might have seemed "unfair" before. Always seek a deeper level of knowledge and ALWAYS ask WHY.

3. (For sisters) Your hijab will look like a complete mess for a while, but youtube tutorials are your friend. You don't have to go out and buy a bunch of expensive Abayas. You can use the clothes you used to wear and layer them to achieve an acceptable level of modesty. You might not get it right immediately. You might have too much of your wrists showing at first. You might not know if you should or shouldn't cover your feet. You might forget that nail polish makes wudu hard. It's ok. You'll learn.

4. Some sisters and brothers will approach you and try to teach you the "right" way to be a Muslim. They might offend you by telling you every time they think you're doing something that is haram. It's ok. They're trying to help. Understand that Islam is a beautifully diverse religion full of people from literally every corner of the globe. There are customs and traditions which play into their way of worshipping Allah (swt) that might be different from what you were told. Remember, always thank them for their help, but go to the source (we all know what that is, right? ) when you have doubts.

I think that's about it for my list- what about yours? Inshallah, I'd love to hear your comments!

Mella
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic