IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Wardrobe for Newly Reverted  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wardrobe for Newly Reverted

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Mella82 View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mella82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wardrobe for Newly Reverted
    Posted: 18 June 2012 at 9:58am
Assalamu alaikum sister,

I had the same problem as you in the beginning. I live in a very hot climate and it is really hard to find modest clothing. Fortunately, before my reversion, I was a fan of maxi dresses. Oftentimes they are fitted at the top with spaghetti straps or no sleeves at all. No problem! All you need to do is find a couple long maxi dresses (usually pretty easy to find at thrift stores depending on where you live-I did ALL my post shahada shopping at thrift stores) and wear a long sleeve shirt underneath. I found that this is one of the most comfortable (and cheap!) hijab friendly outfits out there, especially in hot weather. If the bust area of the dress or shirt is too fitted or low, you can use extra fabric in your hijab to cover the area. Jeans are tough to work with if you don't have a long shirt, but another way to wear them is to find a cute short summer type dress at a thrift store and wear it over jeans (using a long sleeved shirt underneath as well) I think this is a really fashionable way to dress too! ;)

Cardigans are usually a staple at thrift stores in my areas, and they can be a hijabi's best friend. Fastening the top two buttons and leaving the rest undone can accomplish two things: 1st it can cover up a too low-cut neckline and secondly, it can cover your shape around your waist if the dress or shirt is slightly too fitted.

Maybe you have some of these things left over from before your conversion. Don't throw it away! Just modify what you already have or what you can find inexpensively to suit your lifestyle.

Don't be too hard on yourself sister. You're just beginning! Allah (swt) knows your intentions and beginning a new wardrobe, while challenging, can be a fun way to express your creativity, even on a limited budget.

truebeliever510 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truebeliever510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 8:55pm
I am having some difficulty with the correct clothing to wear as a newly reverted Muslim. I am very poor and cannot afford to purchase new clothing. I have been trying very hard though by going to thrift shops, but I haven't found very much there. I am wearing full sleeves, and I have also purchased separate sleeves that I can wear when the arms of my shirt are not long enough. I have many pairs of jeans that are a little loose and I got rid of my very tight pairs. My clothing is not tight, but it is not loose either. I am having trouble finding tunic-length blouses that cover my behind. I am doing the best I can! I hope it will be alright but I am a little worried. I don't want people to see me wearing inappropriate clothing while also wearing my hijab. I want to represent our Deen correctly and decently. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic