IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - $5million discrimination lawsuit  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

$5million discrimination lawsuit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: $5million discrimination lawsuit
    Posted: 06 May 2012 at 7:50am

A Muslim woman won a $5million discrimination lawsuit against AT&T for what she called was repeated harassment of her religious beliefs.

Susann Bashir, who used to work at the company's office in Kansas City, Missouri said the abuse at her job began after she converted to Islam in 2005, and that it boiled over in 2008 when her boss snatched her head scarf and exposed her hair.

A Jackson County jury on Thursday awarded her the money for punitive damages, along with $120,000 in lost wages and other actual damages.

Case:%20Susann%20Bashir%20%28pictured%29,%20won%20$5million%20in%20a%20discrimination%20lawsuit%20against%20AT&T%20for%20what%20she%20called%20repeated%20abuse%20about%20her%20conversion%20to%20Islam

Case: Susann Bashir (pictured), won $5million in a discrimination lawsuit against AT&T for what she called repeated abuse about her conversion to Islam

The award appears to be the largest jury verdict for a workplace discrimination case in Missouri history, The Kansas City Star reported.

Ms Bashir said in court documents that her work environment became hostile immediately after she converted, with her co-workers making harassing comments about her religion and referring to her hijab as 'that thing on her head.'

'I was shocked. I thought, "What is going on?''' she told the newspaper. 'Nobody ever cared what I wore before. Nobody ever cared what religion I was before.'

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic