IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Arabic Language
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Arabic writing on a toy train  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Arabic writing on a toy train

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rlplionel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arabic writing on a toy train
    Posted: 27 April 2012 at 8:43am
Hello,

I have a toy train boxcar that has Arabic writing:

Wondering if someone can translate it into English?

Thanks in advance, Robert
Reepicheep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reepicheep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2012 at 7:23am
Sorry, I can't help with the translation, but just wanted to say that's an interesting looking car.  Was it made by Lionel?  I didn't know they made stuff for sale outside of North America.

There's always been a soft spot in my heart for Lionel trains.  I still have the lionel train from my youth (circa 1962) in a box in my basement.  Several times over the years I was tempted to get into the hobby, but the big problem (as I'm sure you appreciate) is that O-gauge layouts are so large (as I recall, my track is actually 027 gauge, although I can't remember what the distinction is between the O and 027 gauges).

I haven't had my train out of the box for close to thirty years.  I wonder if my barrel car still operates...

Edited by Reepicheep - 28 April 2012 at 7:26am
rlplionel View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rlplionel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2012 at 10:57am
The Arabic car was made by Kris Model Trains during the 1970's. They also made cars in Hebrew, Hangul (Korean) and for the Manila, Philippines Railroad Company. As far as I know, they were only sold in the U.S.

I received my first Lionel train set in 1963. O27 and O-gauge track are the same scale. O27 rails have a lower profile and the curves make a 27" diameter circle. Regular O-gauge track is heftier and the curves make a 31" diameter circle.

I'm fairly confident that your barrel car will still work. Trains were built to last during that time.

Robert

Reepicheep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reepicheep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 10:15am
Robert:

thanks for the reply.  I find it interesting that these "foreign" cars were made for the North American market.  I doubt that there was ever a "real life" car that resembles this arabic one.  In fact, it occured to me a couple of days ago that I've never seen pictures of any sort of freight train from outside of Canada and the USA (I'm Canadian, by the way: Long live the CNR and CP railroads).

In terms of "foreign" trains, all I can think of are various passenger trains, either high speed trains such as in Japan, Europe, etc., or the more primitive passanger trains that operate in places like India.  Although, one would think that there must be some parts of the world outside of North America where coal, lumber, manufactured goods, etc. are moved by rail.

Getting back on topic...  too bad I never read your post 15 years ago.  There used to be a family at my church who were Arab Christians from Jordan.  I'm sure they could have easily provided you with a translation.

If you need any Korean translated into English, then "I'm da man".  OK, actually not me, but a friend of mine.  And, my friend isn't a man but a woman.  But other than that, "I'm da man".  Anyway, if you need anything translated from Korean I can be of service.  Incidently, there are two retired pastors in my congregation who are fairly fluent in Hebrew, so I could help you out there, too.

A few years ago, I too tried to use muslim forums to get a couple of sentences translated from Arabic to English.  No one ever responded to my posts, not sure why.  If you have had success with getting a translation, please post a copy of it here, since I'm very curious to know what is written on the box car.  If you have not had any luck, then also let me know, since I have a couple of ideas where you can go for a translation.

Out of curiousity, I did a google search for "Kris Model Trains" since I had never heard of the company before, and your website popped up at the top of the google search.  Let me state for the record:

I AM NOT WORTHY!!!  I AM NOT WORTHY!!!

You have a wonderful collection which I want to comment on, but lack the time at the moment, so maybe later.

Reepicheep.

Edited by Reepicheep - 04 May 2012 at 6:49pm
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 11:58am
The (Saudi) Government Railway (Car 107).
rlplionel View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rlplionel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 11:11pm
abuayisha: Thank you so much for responding. The information is much appreciated.

Reepicheep: Thanks for the kind words and offer of translation help. The Hebrew and Korean cars in my collection have already been translated and may be seen on this page:

Kris International Boxcars
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic