IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What about music???  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What about music???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2012 at 7:13pm
I just found this;

Did Allah Almighty or Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him prohibit music?

There is not a single Noble Verse in the Noble Quran that prohibits music.  In fact, music and songs are allowed in the Noble Quran as we saw above.  Some Muslims however claim that Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him did prohibit music.  Well, the section below actually proves the otherwise from the Sayings of Prophet Muhammad himself.

Muslims must also remember that when Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him reached the Holy City of Madina from the Holy City of Mecca with his best friend Abu Bakr; may Allah Almighty always be pleased with him, the Muslims played music and sang the famous Islamic song "Talaa El-Badru Alayna" which means "The full moon had come upon us."

The music that Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him prohibited was the one that the infidels used to play which involved sexual activities by the women.  It was part of the pagan Arabs' custom, and Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him wanted to prevent Muslims to be anywhere near that type of music, because it was a sinful music; a music that led to sinful activities.  

(citation: http://www.islamawareness.net/Music/prohibited.html)

Also read;

From Bukhari Volume 2, Book 15, Number 70: and Book 004, Number 1942:
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2012 at 2:17am
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

I just found this;

Did Allah Almighty or Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him prohibit music?

There is not a single Noble Verse in the Noble Quran that prohibits music.  In fact, music and songs are allowed in the Noble Quran as we saw above.  Some Muslims however claim that Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him did prohibit music.  Well, the section below actually proves the otherwise from the Sayings of Prophet Muhammad himself.

Muslims must also remember that when Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him reached the Holy City of Madina from the Holy City of Mecca with his best friend Abu Bakr; may Allah Almighty always be pleased with him, the Muslims played music and sang the famous Islamic song "Talaa El-Badru Alayna" which means "The full moon had come upon us."

The music that Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him prohibited was the one that the infidels used to play which involved sexual activities by the women.  It was part of the pagan Arabs' custom, and Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him wanted to prevent Muslims to be anywhere near that type of music, because it was a sinful music; a music that led to sinful activities.  

(citation: http://www.islamawareness.net/Music/prohibited.html)

Also read;

From Bukhari Volume 2, Book 15, Number 70: and Book 004, Number 1942:

Prophet Muhammed (pbuh) prohibited music and singing.

Narrated Aisha:

Abu Bakr came to my house while two small Ansari girls were singing beside me the stories of the Ansar concerning the Day of Buath. And they were not singers. Abu Bakr said protestingly, "Musical instruments of Satan in the house of Allah's Apostle !" It happened on the `Id day and Allah's Apostle said, "O Abu Bakr! There is an `Id for every nation and this is our `Id."

Reference
: Sahih al-Bukhari 952In-book reference
: Book 13, Hadith 4English translation
: Vol. 2, Book 15, Hadith 72

Narrated Abu 'Amir or Abu Malik Al-Ash'ari:

that he heard the Prophet saying, "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks and the use of musical instruments, as lawful. And there will be some people who will stay near the side of a mountain and in the evening their shepherd will come to them with their sheep and ask them for something, but they will say to him, 'Return to us tomorrow.' Allah will destroy them during the night and will let the mountain fall on them, and He will transform the rest of them into monkeys and pigs and they will remain so till the Day of Resurrection."

English reference
: Vol. 7, Book 69, Hadith 494Arabic reference
: Book 74, Hadith 5649

It was narrated that Al-Awza'i said:
"Umar bin 'Abdul-'Aziz wrote a letter to 'Umar bin Al-Walid in which he said: 'The share that your father gave to you was the entire Khumus,[1] but the share that your father is entitled to is the same as that of any man among the Muslims, on which is due the rights of Allah and His Messenger, and of relatives, orphans, the poor and wayfarers. How many will dispute with your father on the Day of Resurrection! How can he be saved who has so many disputants? And your openly allowing musical instruments and wind instruments is an innovation in Islam. I was thinking of sending someone to you who would cut off your evil long hair."' 

English reference
: Vol. 5, Book 2, Hadith 4140Arabic reference
: Book 39, Hadith 4152

The Prophet (pbuh) discouraged the people from singing and music.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2012 at 6:53am

Quranic verses which indicate the prohibition of music.....http://www.islaam.net/main/display.php?id=1381&category=126

Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2012 at 12:57pm
 As I began my day today the following words came to me;
"Make music unto the Lord"
so I looked them up.

I came to share the following verses from the Zabur (and I it is my understanding that Muhammad said to believe in the Zabur).

Psalm 98, Psalm 100, and Psalm 147

Then I saw these two posts and which only serve to reinforce my disbelief in Muhammad.  

Regarding what Abu Loren posted it reinforces that Muhammad was "double-minded", if you read and compare with the citation which I provided.
And "a double-minded man is unstable in all his ways"... "a double-minded man is as a wave tossed upon the seas and blown every way by the wind".  The words attributed to Muhammad were always contradicting themselves.
[edit: a further thought... this is why I rely on what is written in the Qur'an rather than the Hadith's.  The Hadith's easily seem to have been influenced by the minds of the men recording them.]

Regarding what Abuayisha posted, I read the citation and I don't see anywhere how the Sura's quoted have anything to do with music.

Did anyone read the citation which I provided?

I think I said in my first post though, I do not come to be a stumbling block to anyone who may belong to God, and so, by all means, if you feel that music will lead you away from God then you should stay away from music.  I only find that it draws me near... and because I only listen to music that is honoring to God.
And I do not find that the Qur'an prohibits it, and I find that the Zabur promotes it.
Heart

Edited by Caringheart - 08 August 2012 at 1:07pm
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2012 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

When I began my day today the following words came to me;"Make music unto the Lord"so I looked them up.I came to share the following verses from the Zabur (and I it is my understanding that Muhammad said to believe in the Zabur).Psalm 98, Psalm 100, and Psalm 147Then I saw these two posts and which only serve to reinforce my disbelief in Muhammad. �Regarding what Abu Loren posted it reinforces that Muhammad was "double-minded", if you read and compare with the citation which I provided.And "a double-minded man is unstable in all his ways"... "a double-minded man is as a wave tossed upon the seas and blown every way by the wind".� The words attributed to Muhammad were always contradicting themselves.Regarding what Abuayisha posted, I read the citation and I don't see anywhere how the Sura's quoted have anything to do with music.Did anyone read the citation which I provided?I think I said in my first post though, I do not come to be a stumbling block to anyone who may belong to God, and so, by all means, if you feel that music will lead you away from God then you should stay away from music.� I only find that it draws me near... and because I only listen to music that is honoring to God.And I do not find that the Qur'an prohibits it, and I find that the Zabur promotes it.[IMG]smileys/smiley27.gif" align="absmiddle" alt="Heart" />

Caringheart,
I see in your post above the proof that you are not here really to learn, but to offend others and put their belief down and that is a shame. I hope you seek guidance and not preach what you cannot practice.

As for the subject, let us first try to understand what one means by music. I have in my last post gave some input, but I guess more is needed.
Music may mean different things to different people depending their cultural background. For example, here in the West when people hear the Adhan (Muslim call for prayer) or Tilawah (recitation of the Quran) they consider it music. In an Islamic country people may not refer to the same a music. There they consider things like pop,rock and roll, rap, country songs as music.
So there is a difference in music, we need to be specific when we say which is allowed and which is not.
Praising God in a beautiful tone with a rhythm is part of Islam, you want to call it music others want to call it Praise, chant, Tilawah and so on. Of course God loves such act.
73:4 ... and recite the Qur'an in slow, measured rhythmic tones.
What you are describing as music (music unto the Lord), a Muslim like myself do it at least twenty times, a day or more when we recite Sura Faatiha in our daily five Salats.

Just listen to it, and tell me, isn't it a beautiful recital? music? and this brother's voice is just so beautiful, praise God.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCwtpNgFw5g

Note that there is no instrument used, you know why because instruments are used to enhance what one is saying. Here the power of word of God and its beauty need no support or enhancement from any instrument. The power of the word is in it purity without any additives.

I hope my explanation was of some help.
Hasan

Edited by honeto - 08 August 2012 at 1:44pm
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2012 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by honeto honeto wrote:

Caringheart,
I see in your post above the proof that you are not here really to learn, but to offend others and put their belief down and that is a shame. I hope you seek guidance and not preach what you cannot practice.

As for the subject, let us first try to understand what one means by music. I have in my last post gave some input, but I guess more is needed.
Music may mean different things to different people depending their cultural background. For example, here in the West when people hear the Adhan (Muslim call for prayer) or Tilawah (recitation of the Quran) they consider it music. In an Islamic country people may not refer to the same a music. There they consider things like pop,rock and roll, rap, country songs as music.
So there is a difference in music, we need to be specific when we say which is allowed and which is not.
Praising God in a beautiful tone with a rhythm is part of Islam, you want to call it music others want to call it Praise, chant, Tilawah and so on. Of course God loves such act.
73:4 ... and recite the Qur'an in slow, measured rhythmic tones.
What you are describing as music (music unto the Lord), a Muslim like myself do it at least twenty times, a day or more when we recite Sura Faatiha in our daily five Salats.

Just listen to it, and tell me, isn't it a beautiful recital? music? and this brother's voice is just so beautiful, praise God.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCwtpNgFw5g

Note that there is no instrument used, you know why because instruments are used to enhance what one is saying. Here the power of word of God and its beauty need no support or enhancement from any instrument. The power of the word is in it purity without any additives.

I hope my explanation was of some help.
Hasan

I am sorry Hasan to hear that you take offense at me sharing something about myself. Unhappy
"I do not come to be a stumbling block to anyone who may belong to God, and so, by all means, if you feel that music will lead you away from God then you should stay away from music. I only find that it draws me near... and because I only listen to music that is honoring to God."
I did specify what music I felt was acceptable and what was not.
"I only listen to music that is honoring to God."
"I believe it matters what kind of music we are talking about... what kind of music you listen to.  There is much music in the world that is not helpful and leading away from God.  But there is much music that worships and honors God... guiding the thoughts to God and Father.
If the music cleanses the soul it is good for the soul.  If the music feeds the flesh it is death for the soul. - C. Lynn"

"What you are describing as music (music unto the Lord), a Muslim like myself do it at least twenty times, a day or more when we recite Sura Faatiha in our daily five Salats. "

I have never disputed this fact.
"Just listen to it, and tell me, isn't it a beautiful recital? music? and this brother's voice is just so beautiful, praise God.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCwtpNgFw5g "
Thank you for reminding me... I never did get to a computer where I could listen to the link you sent me once before.  I will try to do that today, as I think time and health will allow it today.  Smile
It is always best to send me links, or references, in private message.  This way I do not lose track of them when I am at a computer where I can look at them.

You did not need to explain yourself.  I have understood what you say.
Heart
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2012 at 3:22am
I think religions should not get involved with trivial things such as music. Religions should be about spreading goodness and how people can get along with each other. Most forms of music have a powerful capability to improve the health of human beings. The healing effects are scientifically proven. Music can also inspire us to do great things.

A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2012 at 8:32am
Originally posted by Matt Browne Matt Browne wrote:

I think religions should not get involved with trivial things such as music.

....Music can also inspire us to do great things.

If Religion is getting involved in something, that means its not trivial. Like you said, Music can inspire us to do things...

I am sure there is wisdom behind Islam discouraging certain types of music.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/09/opinion/the-sikh-temple-killers-music-of-hate.html?_r=1

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/11/21/news_pf/Floridian/Iraq__n__roll.shtml

Edited by Chrysalis - 09 August 2012 at 8:47am
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic