IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What about music???  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What about music???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abosait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2012 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by abuayisha abuayisha wrote:

Allah guide you.

Allah the Exalted said: �And establish the prayer�. What is the number of rakats (that should be made)? And what are the prayer times? Also Allah said: �And pay the zakat�. What is the nisaab? And how much should be paid in zakat?

So?

Kindly elaborate on that and throw some light on the issue of music.

And by the way does anyone know what sort of musical instruments were being used in Arabia at the time of the Prophet Sallallahu 'alaihi wasallam.

Assalamu 'alaykum wa rahmatullah.

Edited by abosait - 18 June 2012 at 11:12pm
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2012 at 2:47am
I found this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_music#Nasheed

"Nasheeds are moral, religious songs sung in various melodies by some Muslims of today without any musical instruments. This type of singing of moral songs without instrumentation is considered as permissible by many Muslims."
A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2012 at 1:54pm
abosait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abosait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2012 at 10:08pm

Jazakallahu khair.

I would like to draw your kind attention to the following excerpts from the article in that link:

Shaykhul Islam Ibn Taymiyyah confrims this in his celebrated Fataawa where he says, "The Prophet (upon whom be peace and blessings) allowed certain forms of amusement at the wedding festivity and similar celebrations. During the Prophet's era, none of the men used to beat upon the daff or slap his hands [in rhythm]. Rather, it has been authentically related that the Prophet said, 'Clapping is for women and tasbeeh (*193) is for men,' (*194)
The article further says,
Celebrating may be done at the arrival of a respected guest, relative or personality, such as a pious scholar, or at the return of Muslim warriors (mujaahideen) or a long-estranged loved one. In these cases, innocent poems and songs may be sung to the accompaniment of the simple daff. (*198)
But according to what was said in the previous quote men cannot beat drums or clap. Would it mean that at the welcome ceremonies women should be called upon to sing & beat the duff and clap their hands contrary to the rule that women's voice should not be audible to strange men?

Please read the following excerpts also:

Buraydah said, "Allah's Messenger left for one of his expeditions and upon his return, a black slave-girl came to him saying, 'Oh Messenger of Allah, verily, I vowed that if Allah returned you safely I would beat the daff and sing (*201) in your presence.' (*202) Allah's Messenger said to her,' If you made a vow, (*203) then fulfill it by beating the daff, otherwise don't.' (*204) Upon this she began to beat the hand drum, during which Abu Bakr entered, then Ali, followed by Uthmaan. Upon Umar's entering, she threw the daff under her backside and sat on it, whereupon Allah's Messenger said, 'Verily, Satan fears you, Oh Umar!'" (*205)

The woman was permitted by the Prophet on her request to sing but at the same time the Prophet's remarks to Omar indicate that what the woman did was a Satanic act. The Prophet would never permit a satanic act. Kindly clarify.

Edited by abosait - 19 June 2012 at 10:21pm
abosait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abosait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2012 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by Matt Browne Matt Browne wrote:

I found this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_music#Nasheed

"Nasheeds are moral, religious songs sung in various melodies by some Muslims of today without any musical instruments. This type of singing of moral songs without instrumentation is considered as permissible by many Muslims."
Jazakallahu khair. Please read the following article from Islamqa on nasheeds.

http://islamqa.info/en/ref/91142/nasheed

Edited by abosait - 19 June 2012 at 10:26pm
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2012 at 3:22pm
,I would love to invite Muslims to listen to Christian music sometime.  Get to know the Christian better.  Check out what they see in Christians, and not just what they see in the culture of the countries in which Christians live.  Christians do not force the country to conform to their ways.  They exist within, and in spite of, the culture.
My days are filled with Christian music which keeps my mind focused on God and not on worldly things... not on self.  This feeling closer to God lifts me up.

~ More like falling in love, than something to believe in
More like losing my heart, than giving my allegiance
Caught up, called out, Come take a look at me now
Deeper and deeper, it was love that made me a believer, in more than a name, a faith, a creed ~

~give me an undivided heart, that I may bring You glory ~
~one faith, one love, one God ~

But I also do not wish to be a 'brother who causes another to stumble'... so if you in any way feel that this would lead you away from your God, then by all means I do not urge it.  But for the purpose of opening the mind towards who God's people are(and I believe they are all of us), I think it would be beneficial.

David was a "man after God's own heart"... and it was David who sang the Psalms for God.  If you read the Psalms you see that we are exhorted to sing glory to God.
Blessings.
Salaam,
Heart

Edited by Caringheart - 30 July 2012 at 3:32pm
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2012 at 3:55pm
Be thou my vision
~  Be thou my vision, O Lord of my heart,
    Be all else but naught to me, save that thou art;
    Be thou my best thought in the day and the night,
    Both waking and sleeping, thy presence my light.

Be thou my wisdom, be thou my true word,
    Be thou ever with me, and I with thee Lord;
    Be thou my great Father, and I thy true son;
    Be thou in me dwelling, and I with thee one.

Be thou my breastplate, my sword for the fight;
    Be thou my whole armour, be thou my true might;
    Be thou my soul's shelter, be thou my strong tower:
    O raise thou me heavenward, great Power of my power.

Riches I heed not, nor man's empty praise:
    Be thou mine inheritance now and always;
    Be thou and thou only the first in my heart;
    O Sovereign of Heaven, my treasure thou art.

High King of Heaven, thou Heaven's bright sun,
    O grant me its joys after victory is won!;
    Great heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
    Still be my vision, O Ruler of all. ~
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2012 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

,I would love to invite Muslims to listen to Christian music sometime.� Get to know the Christian better.� Check out what they see in Christians, and not just what they see in the culture of the countries in which Christians live.� Christians do not force the country to conform to their ways.� They exist within, and in spite of, the culture. My days are filled with Christian music which keeps my mind focused on God and not on worldly things... not on self.� This feeling closer to God lifts me up.~ More like falling in love, than something to believe in More like losing my heart, than giving my allegiance Caught up, called out, Come take a look at me now Deeper and deeper, it was love that made me a believer, in more than a name, a faith, a creed ~~give me an undivided heart, that I may bring You glory ~~one faith, one love, one God ~But I also do not wish to be a 'brother who causes another to stumble'... so if you in any way feel that this would lead you away from your God, then by all means I do not urge it.� But for the purpose of opening the mind towards who God's people are(and I believe they are all of us), I think it would be beneficial.David was a "man after God's own heart"... and it was David who sang the Psalms for God.� If you read the Psalms you see that we are exhorted to sing glory to God.Blessings.Salaam,[IMG]smileys/smiley27.gif" align="absmiddle" alt="Heart" />

Caringheart,
you said "Christians do not force the country to conform to their ways"
You need to read some history brother. Read what the crusades were all about. Also read history of the Catholic Church, how it was involve in power grab that spanned continents and centuries after the reconquest of Spain. Also read about what were the reasons people from Europe were fleeing to the Americas, should I mention religious persecution by the Church.

As far as how you remember God and how music plays a role in your life, that is your way to get to God just like people of different religions have different ways to bring God in their daily lives.

As far as a Muslim, like myself, praise of God is in every act and every thought. You be surprised to know that every act in the right direction is started in the name of God.
Five times a day when a Muslim present him/herself in Salath to God Almighty, he/she recite the beautiful suras
by memory in a balanced beautiful recitation that are not just music to the ear, but give life to the soul, thus a person following their five Salath is with a soul that is happy and alive all day.
Islam creates a balance in a person's life through which he/she achieves success in this world and same times secures his/her space in Paradise.

God tell us through the Quran that the comforts of this life are temporary, but the comforts of the hereafter are forever. And that's what should be our goal, if we want to be successful in the hereafter.

Have you ever listened to word of God recited in the language it was revealed? try this link, this recitation is very beautiful and here is its meanings.
Al-Fatiha (The Opening)

1:1 (Asad) In the name of God, The Most Gracious, The Dispenser of Grace: [1]
1:2 (Asad) All praise is due to God alone, the Sustainer of all the worlds, [2]
1:3 (Asad) The Most Gracious, the Dispenser of Grace,

1:4 (Asad) Lord of the Day of Judgment.

1:5 (Asad) Thee alone do we worship; and unto Thee alone do we turn for aid.

1:6 (Asad) Guide us the straight way.

1:7 (Asad) The way of those upon whom Thou hast bestowed Thy blessings, [3] not of those who have been condemned [by Thee], nor of those who go astray! [4]

Please paste this in you browser and listen:

http://www.mp3quran.net/newMedia.php?id=1&file=http://server8.mp3quran.net/afs/001.mp3

Hasan

Edited by honeto - 31 July 2012 at 2:51am
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic