IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Was Islam spread by the sword?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWas Islam spread by the sword?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Starter
Starter
Female
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Was Islam spread by the sword?
    Posted: 17 February 2012 at 10:48pm
Hey everyone.  I wasn't sure what forum to put this in so I put it here.  Moderators, feel free to move it if you need to.

That said, I have heard that Islam was spread by the sword.  Is this true?
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2012 at 10:59am
Hi Holly 3278

ITS one of the widely spread misconception about Islam that it has been spread by sword

Islam comes from the word salaam which means peace. A religion of peace spread through sword ? It's not true

You know sis, that muslims ruled over spain for about 800 years but islam was not spread thru sword. Later when christian crusaders invaded they killed most of the muslims. It/s quiet clear who use swords

Am from India. It is said that muslim rulers ruled for more than 1000 years. Yet we muslims are in minority today. We are about 10-12 percent of the population. If islam was spread thru sword, those rulers would have used powers to get them converted.

By the way, you know that even today there are many christians in Saudi Arabia , the land of last Prophet.

iSLAM does n't approve forcing anyone to get convert, for Allah swt says in the Quran - There is no compulsion in the religion .

Infact we are taught

"Invite (all) to the way of thy Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching; and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious." [Al-Qur�an 16:125]

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2012 at 11:02am

I ALSO HEARD sis that every year about 20,000 people are embracing Islam in USA.There was no sword used
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2012 at 2:14am
Originally posted by Holly3278 Holly3278 wrote:

Hey everyone.  I wasn't sure what forum to put this in so I put it here.  Moderators, feel free to move it if you need to.

That said, I have heard that Islam was spread by the sword.  Is this true?

Hi Holly!

Its just a misconception that Islam was spread by the sword. Like Seekshidayath said, if Islam were really spread by the sword we wouldn't find non-muslims living in lands that were for centuries ruled by muslims. (Like India for example).

There are Coptic-Christians living to this day in Egypt. Spain is a non-muslim majority, India mostly has Hindus. Did you know the Muslim armies reached the border of France too? Yet we find no accounts of forced conversions etc.

The Jewish population in many middle-east countries survived thanks to Muslim rulers who gave them sanctuary during the crusades when even the Jews were targeted.

You can even look this up on the internet itself (See: Ottoman Empire, Ottoman Empire & Jews, Ottoman Empire & Non-Muslims)

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
docbro View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2012 at 10:07am
Welcome
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52OpmjfA1wM
http://aboutjihad.com/jihad/kill_them_wherever_you_find_them.php
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2012 at 8:07am
Of course. But so was Christianity in its pre-Enlightenment history.

A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
Holly3278 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Female
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2012 at 2:06am
Originally posted by seekshidayath seekshidayath wrote:

Hi Holly 3278

ITS one of the widely spread misconception about Islam that it has been spread by sword

Islam comes from the word salaam which means peace. A religion of peace spread through sword ? It's not true

You know sis, that muslims ruled over spain for about 800 years but islam was not spread thru sword. Later when christian crusaders invaded they killed most of the muslims. It/s quiet clear who use swords

Am from India. It is said that muslim rulers ruled for more than 1000 years. Yet we muslims are in minority today. We are about 10-12 percent of the population. If islam was spread thru sword, those rulers would have used powers to get them converted.

By the way, you know that even today there are many christians in Saudi Arabia , the land of last Prophet.

iSLAM does n't approve forcing anyone to get convert, for Allah swt says in the Quran - There is no compulsion in the religion .

Infact we are taught

"Invite (all) to the way of thy Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching; and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious." [Al-Qur�an 16:125]

Was your thing in the 3rd paragraph where you commented about Christian crusaders in Spain an attack on Christianity?  If so, I don't appreciate that.  I am a Catholic Christian and just because you are on an Islamic forum doesn't give you a right to attack my religion.

That said, as far as Christians in Saudi Arabia, if there truly are any Christians in Saudi Arabia then they are there illegally.  Christianity is forbidden in Saudi Arabia.  Saudi Arabia is a Muslim nation too and so this speaks as to just how highly the Muslims of Saudi Arabia value religious freedom which apparently they don't value it very much which is very sad.  Cry
Friendship View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2012 at 2:02pm
Dear Matt Browne.

Assalamu alaika.
Good morning/evening all of you!

How can an ideology that meets one with peace be upon you be spread by the sword?
Rather it is Greek concept of Christianity bearing in mind the 'cross'.
friendship
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic