IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Muslim Women and 'Canadian Values'  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Muslim Women and 'Canadian Values'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2012 at 6:58am
Well, Abuayisha, I am certainly not a religious expert, but Muslims who demand freedom of religion without supporting it are hypocrites. I have yet to meet a Muslim here on Islamicity who supports freedom of religion with all the consequences.

"Freedom of religion is a principle that supports the freedom of an individual or community, in public or private, to manifest religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship, and observance; the concept is generally recognized also to include the freedom to change religion or not to follow any religion. The freedom to leave or discontinue membership in a religion or religious group is also a fundamental part of religious freedom, covered by Article 18 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights."

So, who is in favor of granting a Muslim the right to become a Christian?

For my part I can say that a Christian has a right to become a Muslim. That's freedom of religion.

Now if Muslims can't do the same that's intolerance to say the least.

Disrespecting local dress codes is intolerance to say the least.

Calling Christians infidels is intolerance to say the least.

Killing praying Christians on Christmas is intolerance to say the least.

Killing Muslims who decided to become Christians is intolerance to say the least.

You and I can disagree about face veils in Canada. That's pluralism. But the accusation of intolerance is a serious one.

So, do you support freedom of religion?

Edited by Matt Browne - 22 February 2012 at 7:01am
A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2012 at 8:45am
Originally posted by Matt Browne Matt Browne wrote:

So, do you support freedom of religion?

�Let there be no compulsion in religion.  Truth has been made clear from error.  Whoever rejects false worship and believes in God has grasped the most trustworthy handhold that never breaks.  And God hears and knows all things.�  Quran- 2:256

abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2012 at 1:54pm
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2012 at 9:42am
Unfortunately, quite a few people in the West have a very negative view of Islam. We should work together to change this perception. People need to see the friendly face of Islam. Pun intended.

A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2012 at 7:00pm
Maya Angelou - �Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends.� 
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 9:57am
A great quote. Thanks for sharing. Sorry that it took me so long to rediscover this thread. My post were about trying to understand each other.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 12:37pm
Thumbs%20Up Welcome back Matt!  You had me worried about you....
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2012 at 2:42am
Thanks, Abuayisha, it's good to be back!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
  Share Topic