IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Muslim Women and 'Canadian Values'  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Muslim Women and 'Canadian Values'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Groupie
Groupie
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m.sumair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2012 at 1:28am
Im curious abt MCC...Wht thy r tryng to propogate by supportng same sex marriage?? and wht is ths equality mania? Arent men and women seperate gender havng thr own emtional & mental capablities nd limitation with it? Islam does cover ths need, Islam goes for Equity rathr thn equality b/w gender. Don't get confuse with cultural dominance in certain region whr people exagurate over certain things while ignorng othr imp issues. In real life Woman does hav privlage over certain things & so rightly Islam caters it, whr as Men hav privlage ovr certain things & so Islam caters it aswell and as u see tht one would be privlaged over othr in a given situation. And yes, Islam clearly disticnt the Desires from Nessceity and gernally prohibts Act of desires as thy r step stone to the followngshp of Shatan(devil).
Now wht this MCC r doing, i dont get it..supportng same sex marriage, whn Islam straightly prohibt same-sex intrcourse/marriage and Adultry..thn wht r thy doing...adding new things to Islam..?? Nd im still curious abt their othr things tht r mention in abv link...i wonder wht eles thy r doing
Reepicheep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reepicheep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2012 at 5:13am
m.sumair wrote: either there r practsng muslims or non-practsng ones. Who r these moderate ones?

Why are you asking me this question?  It has nothing to do with me.  Rather, it is an issue between you and Allah.

If there are certain people who call themselves muslim who you are accusing of NOT being muslim because they have beliefs different from yours, then that is an issue Allah will deal with on the Day of Judgement.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2012 at 7:07am
m.sumair View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m.sumair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2012 at 10:42am
My apologies Reepicheep u mistook my writings. I didnt mean to offend u or anybody. I asked who r moderate ones?irrespective of any people or belief. And my immediate next post in whch i "asked" tht Wht MCC is all about..is ths wht thy do? Ths is how moderate ones are?
I asked u who the moderate ones are bcoz u conitinously mention it in ur pervious post(plz refer it bck) so i was curious whch moderate ones u r reffrng to...and my humble request im nt here givng any judgement or statements, these are only for ALLAH to do neither im considerng my deeds to anyone I knw wht mess im in...so my friend stay calm, go thourgh various post and thn consider,.. whom ur refrng as moderate?
Reepicheep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reepicheep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2012 at 12:22pm
m.sumair wrote: I do agree tht whr face identificaton is cmplursury (like in citizenshp cere.) thn it must be dne without any objection

m.sumair wrote:  my understndng either there r practsng muslims or non-practsng ones. Who r these moderate ones?

M.Sumair, you say that muslim women should uncover their faces during citizenship ceremonies.  Abuayisha thinks that muslim women have the right to refuse to uncover their faces during citizenship ceremonies.

So, using my terminology: on the issue of women uncovering their faces during citizenship ceremonies, I say that your belief is more moderate than what Abuayisha believes.

If I understand you correctly, using your terminology: you are saying that you are a practising muslim (because you believe women should uncover their faces during the ceremony) and that Abuayisha is a non-practising muslim (because he believes women have the right to keep their faces covered during the ceremony).

Correct?
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2012 at 4:18am
Interesting post, Reepicheep. So are you saying that the Shiites who established the totalitarian theocracy in Iran are the exception? And it would mean that moderate Sunni countries like Jordan and Turkey are the exception? I was always under the impression that both forms of Islam have moderate and ultra-conservative forces.

A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2012 at 4:27am
Sumair, I agree that laws against face veils are not the best solution. I would also prefer that conservative Muslims who choose to live in Western countries show respect for their host country and therefore also choose not to wear face veils. But if some remain stubborn maybe there is no other way. Face veils in France had led to millions of people getting more and more angry and scared of Islam, so politicians had to act. The situation is even more pressing because the vast majority of women wearing face veils are forced to do this against their will, which is a human rights violation. This also prevents women from getting jobs. Imagine a mayor of a village wearing a face veil. How can she interact with her citizens on the street? Human rights violations are a fact every day in Saudi Arabia where women are treated like cattle. The same was the case in Afghanistan under Taliban rule. But we can't allow women to be treated like that in France.

Edited by Matt Browne - 17 February 2012 at 4:30am
A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2012 at 4:59am
I think it's a mistake to assume that

moderate Muslims = non-practicing Muslims

conservative Muslims = practicing Muslims

So what is the difference between moderate and conservative?

The answer is complex and there are also different forms of moderate or liberal Islam. This is how I understand it, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Moderate Muslims believe in an evolving Islam meaning that a new context requires a reevaluation of common interpretations of the Quran. Conservative Islam rely on a fixed mindset with all rules and interpretations frozen on the 7th century level not to be changed.

Moderate Muslims focus on spiritual Islam and see political Islam as one opinion in a democracy where majority rulings are the law. They also believe in the separation of state and religion. Conservative Muslims often challenge this view.

To moderate Muslims the place of women in Islam, traditional gender roles in Islam and Islamic feminism are likewise major issues. For this reason, liberal Muslims are often critical of traditional Islamic law interpretations which allow polygyny for men but not polyandry for women, as well as the traditional Islamic law of inheritance under which daughters receive less than sons. It is also accepted by most liberal Muslims that a woman may lead the state, and that women should not be segregated from men in society.

Tolerance is another key tenet of moderate Muslims, who are generally open to interfaith dialogue and conflict resolution with such communities as Jews, Christians, Hindus, and the numerous factions within Islam.

Wikipedia lists the following moderate Muslim intellectuals who focused on religious reform: Sayyid al-Qimni, Nasr Abu Zayd, Abdolkarim Soroush, Mohammed Arkoun, Mohammed Shahrour, Ahmed Subhy Mansour, Edip Yuksel, Gamal al-Banna, Abdullahi Ahmed An-Na'im, Ahmed Al-Gubbanchi, Mahmoud Mohammed Taha, and Faraj Foda, the last two were killed after apostasy claims which most of them have been accused of by traditional Islamic scholars.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic