IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Muslim Women and 'Canadian Values'  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Muslim Women and 'Canadian Values'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Groupie
Groupie
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m.sumair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2012 at 10:16am

Matt brown, u keep giving example that u choose not to draw pictures of Prophet Muhammad (p.b.u.h).....". But if ur a Christan than its not ur right or choice but an "Obligation" of not to humiliate any Prophet as they r all Messengers of God, and not bcoz of "Muslims dont like it". And than u compare this with Muslim woman veil...." but Matt, its is a religous right of a Muslim woman that she may exercise, When does a regional/cultural thoughts limits a religious belief? Why laws are pass to forbade a woman from her right? Why ethical issues (Grey a.) are given black & white distingusion? Why Grey areas r dealt so strictly while other areas (like drawng pictures...&others..) are left causal? Why does a freedom of expression held true only for people othr thn Muslims? Why can't a Muslim woman express her thoughts and belief out in public?
peacemaker View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peacemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2012 at 5:41am

Assalamu Alaikum,

Here is a relevant article:

http://www.iviews.com/Articles/articles.asp?ref=IV1202-5004

May Allah (SWT) guide us all.

Peace

--------------

Lift the Niqab Ban
2/7/2012 - Opinion Social - Article Ref: IV1202-5004
Number of comments:
Opinion Summary: Agree:  Disagree:  Neutral:
By:
Asad Latif
Iviews* -

In many nations, Niqab has been banned. And there is a growing apprehension in some others that it should be banned, citing various reasons - ranging from security threat to women's oppression. They look over it condescendingly, misconstruing that it oppresses women. Islamic teachings dictate that Muslim women must wear Hijab (headscarf) and cover her entire body with the exception of her face and hands when they are around strangers, away from their loved ones, or exposed to unrelated men. There is a difference of opinion on this matter, and many Islamic scholars stipulate that covering of the face (Niqab) is also required. 

Muslim women wearing the Niqab do so to obey the Creator, to protect their beauty for their spouses, and to guard themselves from the undue advances of the men. If the women want to wear Niqab in order to fulfill their religious obligation that emanates from their faith, they should be welcome to do so. 

Some claim that one can commit a crime and get away with that because of wearing Niqab. Well, criminals can wear any kind of clothing to evade the security system, including but not limited to, large colored sunglasses, fake moustaches and beards, wigs etc. Are we going to ban all these apparels? In fact, the bigger question should be as to how many Muslim women wearing Niqab committed crimes or were caught as criminals? And if any (or many) committed any crime, what should be done to ensure security? 

The security concern may be dealt with by checking their identification or apply other technological means to deter any future crime. When there is a need to identify, the Muslim women can show their faces in a private area, preferably to other women. That serves the purpose of identification check. But, outright banning the religious attire punishes everyone without any sound reasoning. And that is certainly not justice. 

A nation cannot claim to promote freedom of expression, yet practice blatant religious discrimination. It is not in the interest of any community, nation, and the world to curtail these rights that are enshrined in the constitution of a civilized nation. Such missteps impede the efforts to promote tolerance and peaceful coexistence. 

As Thomas Jefferson aptly made his point: 

"All, too, will bear in mind this sacred principle, that though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

The point is this is women's prerogative to wear what they want to. Wearing the Niqab is the choice of the Muslim women themselves. It is their right to practice their faith the way they see it right. It cannot be forced upon them. Since it is their choice to wear it, exercising the choice doesn't amount to their oppression per se. It would be ludicrous to suggest otherwise. 

Not responding to this concern may jeopardize other civil liberties that we seem to have taken for granted. Where would this wave of Islamophobia stop? How would it stop when we refuse to act constructively? Freedoms were achieved after tremendous sacrifices. How could we lose them so cheaply? And more importantly, in this time of huge unemployment, recession, budget deficits, not to mention many other societal ills, should this really be our priority? 

We should not let this happen. We should set an excellent example for our fellow human beings and our generations to come. Let us act in the positive direction....

Asad Latif has an engineering background and is a writer based in Toronto, Canada. He writes on diverse issues - social, political, economic, religious, and technological. He can be reached at alatif2002yahoo.ca.

Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2012 at 9:57pm

SHEEMA KHAN

Hate it if you want, but don�t ban the niqab

sheema khan

From Wednesday's Globe and Mail
Published

�For much of modern history,� he wrote, �what characterized governments in Europe and North America, and differentiated them from those around the world, was not democracy, but constitutional liberalism. The �Western model� is best symbolized not by the mass plebiscite but the impartial judge.�

Inherent in this model are safeguards against the �tyranny of the majority,� so inalienable rights of a minority are protected against the whims of the majority. As John Stuart Mill argued, a social body has no right to coerce or restrict the individual unless the individual causes harm to others.

Given that constitutional liberalism is the bedrock of Canadian values, what are we to make of Citizenship and Immigration Minister Jason Kenney�s diktat concerning women wearing the niqab at citizenship ceremonies?

Mr. Kenney is cynically exploiting public fear and ignorance to further stigmatize an easy target. False assumptions abound: Women are coerced to wear it; the niqab has nothing to do with Islam; the women must have something to hide; they must be brainwashed. Yet, talk to a few niqabis and you�ll find the opposite. The majority, while decrying oppression and trumpeting �Canadian values,� is prepared to deny a group of women their fundamental rights.

According to Mr. Kenney, the niqab hinders verification of the recitation of the citizenship oath. Why the focus on the niqab? Are the lips of all citizenship candidates scrutinized at these ceremonies? Why not simply allow an oath officer to hear the recitation, after proper identification?

Sex and the niqab: both forbidden during the hajj. As is fasting. Is Mr. Kenney qualified to make rulings on matters deemed complex by Islamic jurisprudence?

Not coincidentally, the minister chose to make his comments while the Supreme Court of Canada considers whether a woman should be allowed to testify in court with her face covered. Governments decline comment on cases before the court to give the appearance of judicial independence. Yet, a minister of the Crown says the niqab is �bizarre� and has no place in public testimony.

The Harper government has done a 180-degree turn on the niqab. In 2009, the Prime Minister�s Office said: �In an open and democratic society like Canada, individuals are free to make their own decisions regarding their personal apparel and to adhere to their own customs or traditions of their faith or beliefs.� On Monday, Mr. Kenney said: �We are all coming together as Canadians in a public ceremony and if you don�t like it, if you feel uncomfortable, then maybe you chose the wrong country in the first place.� He added: �I�m sure they�ll trump up some st**id Charter of Rights challenge.� Imagine, a minister of the Crown publically denigrating those who seek their constitutional rights.

One may detest the niqab. But are we prepared to abide by the fundamental principle of defending opinions with which we disagree to safeguard the rights of individuals from coercion? Our past forays into exclusionary politics have resulted in shameful policies against minorities, not to mention the cultural genocide of the aboriginal population.

Inas Kadri had her niqab torn off by a woman in a Mississauga mall in the summer of 2010. The incident did not shake her faith in Canada. Rather, she re-evaluated her role as a citizen: �Living with people in this society, I think I should work harder to educate people about my religion.� Fellow niqabi Sana Mutawi summed it up best: �We want our kids to be brought up in an understanding community, so they will be good citizens.�

Hate the niqab all you want. But banning it is not a Canadian value.

Edited by abuayisha - 07 February 2012 at 9:58pm
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2012 at 3:35am
Why can't an atheist woman express her thoughts and her belief in freedom of speech out in public? Freedom of speech allows her to draw anything she likes. Or say anything that she likes. Including what many Muslims would consider to be an insult.

The reason is that in a globalized world with hundreds of religions and hundreds of worldviews there's potential for contradicting beliefs. And we need to make the best of it. By avoiding to hurt each others' feelings. And showing respect.

In flourishing communities in Western societies based on caring, kindness and generosity we need to see the faces of our fellow human beings. If we don't, it hurts. Some people are even scared. Others get terribly angry. I try not to get angry when I see a faceless woman walking by, but I can't ignore my emotions of pain such encounters create. It hurts because I have a need to see the faces of the people in the society I live in. Islam as a religion does not dictate face veils. Only culture does.

Edited by Matt Browne - 14 February 2012 at 4:17am
A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
Reepicheep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reepicheep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2012 at 5:44am
abuayisha: I don't understand the point you are trying to make with your post dated january 23 which contained two links about the Muslim Canadian Congress (MCC).

If you are saying that the members of MCC are "moderate muslims", then of course I agree with you.

If you are saying that the members of MCC are not muslim because they are moderate, then that is a matter between you and Allah.

Matt Browne wrote: This is very encouraging

For the most part, muslims in North America (especially Canada) are very moderate.  This is due to two reasons:

(1) while only approximately 20% of muslims world wide are Shiite, over half of Canadian muslims are Shiite.  Shiites, in general, are much more moderate that Sunni muslims.  In particular: many of Canada's muslims belong to the Ismaili and Ahmadiyya sects, who believe in the separation of "church and state". 

(2) many of Canada's Sunni muslims (for example, those who belong to MCC) are also very moderate.  Obviously, muslims who hate religious and political freedom as practiced in Canada would (for the most part) never move to Canada in the first place.

Hayfa wrote: why does anyone need to see their faces?

There are three reasons why women should show their faces during the Canadian Citizenship ceremony:

(1) so that Canadian officials and those spectators in attendance can confirm the womens' identities,

(2) so that Canadian officials and those spectators in attendance can confirm that the women are actually speaking the citizenship oath and not keeping silent, and

(3) as a sign of respect for their fellow Canadians.

Anyone seeking Canadian citizenship who has so little respect for Canadians that they refuse to show their faces during a five minute citizenship ceremony have no reason to become Canadian in the first place.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2012 at 7:14am
Originally posted by Reepicheep Reepicheep wrote:

abuayisha: I don't understand the point you are trying to make with your post dated january 23 which contained two links about the Muslim Canadian Congress (MCC).

In your post the MCC was said to be a 'prominent' organization, and not being from Canada myself, and having never heard of Muslim Canadian Congress, I offered our forum readers additional clarity as to who they are, this assuming others may also not know them as well.
m.sumair View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m.sumair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2012 at 9:58pm
Matt Browne, Islam doesnot dictate to veil the face, true. Islam does give option to veil the face aswell but this act 'was' highly recomended/complursury to the Wives of Prophet Muhammad (p.b.u.h) as is mention in Quran chapter: 33.
Matt, I do agree with what u hav said in ur last post tht we should reduce the conflict among us but than just consider tht passng out banning laws won't help it. Those who are drawng pictures are doing ths in utter chaos of whatever thy think, tryng to humiliate every Prophet and Prophet Muhammad(p.b.u.h) in particular. But thn u cant pass out laws to ban such people as "freedom of speech" will get sabotage. All such issues arises due to diffrnce of thought & belief, its an ethical issue so plz dont give it a legal picture. We may get hurt from the things we dont approve or feel offended but thn wht shall we do? Should we pass out laws? I thnk we shld develop mutual understndng and try to cope with eachother as much as possible. We both hav diffculty with it bt lets put it togethr.

See Matt, my whole pt. of sayng all is tht today thy r banning veil, but God forbid if tomorow thy say to ban othr dress code like wearng scarf or loose, long colthes thn ths will be very serious issue as Islam has explicit recomendation to women as all. Forfeiting religious partice (whch is a sign modesty aswell), concern us. So let just keep it moderate nd sort it out more causully rathr thn formally. I do agree tht whr face identificaton is cmplursury (like in citizenshp cere.) thn it must be dne without any objection but out in public plz dont make it cmplursury.
m.sumair View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m.sumair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2012 at 10:15pm
Reepicheep, I m bit curious with wht u said as a ''moderate muslims''..bcoz to my understndng either there r practsng muslims or non-practsng ones. Who r these moderate ones? Yes, I do agree tht most of us muslim are weak at performanc whlie othrs are hypocrates ...thn wht is the moderate muslim?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic