IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ISLAM_what is it for you?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ISLAM_what is it for you?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eli44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ISLAM_what is it for you?
    Posted: 07 December 2011 at 12:50pm
I am very interested in Islam and I would like to know more about it.

I would like to ask one question though: What is your perception of Islam? How do you live it daily? What does it mean to you to be a Muslim? (does it mean living in a big community, an 'enlarged family'? does it mean doing certain rituals?)

What is it that makes you follow?

Another question: Is it fair to say that Islam is more about identity than belief?

I would like a response from different people if it is possible.

I have also another request, if it is possible, can you sign your post with your islamic name (and significance)?

Thank you very much for your attention and kind answer.

Edited by Eli44 - 07 December 2011 at 1:06pm
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2011 at 8:16pm
Hi Eli,

Welcome to the forum. Let me see if I can answer your questions...

What is your perception of Islam?
I can say that before I became a Muslim and started my "self-education" I found it quite intriguing. It met both an intellectual and a spiritual need. I think that people tend to use peoples' actions to represent what something is or isn't. But I have tried to stick to its source and to focus on really its true beauty.

How do you live it daily? I live it daily by attempting to submit myself fully and to be the best person I can be each moment. I try ot remember Allah in my actions and my thoughts. For not only is it a reminder of my temporary time as I know here, it helps me to be a better person.

What does it mean to you to be a Muslim? It means belief in one God- Allah. It means that I should attempt to the best of my ability to do pray, fast, do zakat etc and to be the best human being. To ask for forgiveness.

What is it that makes you follow?  Belief that it is the best way to live my life. I was not born into a Muslim family. I was raised Catholic. Eventually came to Islam through self-reflection, education and by the grace of Allah.

Is it fair to say that Islam is more about identity than belief? For me not at all. In fact less so. I think it is about what is internal and not actually my relations with others. In fact for many people who come into Islam we often do not feel culturally in the same place as people born and raised with an Islamic family. And that when I chose this path, I was quite understanding that this is a path I make make for myself, really by myself. And that when I die I will face God-Allah alone. I will have to answer for all I have done.

My screen name is Hayfa. I still use the name my non-Muslim parents gave me.

Hope I answered.... it was my own interpretations of the questions..

Hayfa

Edited by Hayfa - 23 December 2011 at 8:17pm
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic