IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Facebook  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Facebook

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aisha87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Facebook
    Posted: 06 December 2011 at 6:37am

Salamu Alaikum,

Prior to reverting to Islam, I had a face book account, which I felt uncomfortable in keeping once I had taken my shahada, as there is a lot exposure to matters which are fitnah.   Insh�Allah I am interested in others experience of face book good or bad, people that purposely don�t have an account, and views on whether a sister should be on facebook.

May Allah help shed some light upon this question.

honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2011 at 2:17pm
Salam Alykum sisiter and welcome to the forum.
You ask a very good question, although many avoid talking on this subject I am willing to share my feelings about it.
I did not see anything wrong with being on facebook, and that was a very common perception and probably still is among many people.
For some reason it makes me uncomfortable to be on Facebook. It is like being in a house without walls. You expose yourself to who knows who, plus based on what people normally do there you are basically giving away a lot of infromation about who you are, what you do, what you like and so on. And since it is a network of people, different people, you kind of get into things that others are doing, good bad and ugly, or the Facebook culture, reather your own. Next thing you know it, its transfforming cultures, values, behavior and beliefs.
It might have good in it too, but I have more issues with it that keep me not to be so trustful of it thus I am not a regular Facebook user.
Hasan
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

W.S. View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2011 at 3:26am
I can see how it might become a problem but it doesn't have to become a problem. You don't have to reveal your entire life. Just have some common sense and keep yourself aware when you're on Facebook. 
aisha87 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aisha87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2011 at 6:04am

JazakAllah for the responses, im glad its not just me being over sensitive.  You both make good points alhamdulillah,

It does expose you, but with tight restrictions inshAllah maybe it could do some good for the Ummah in raising awareness of certain causes and issues.

Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2011 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by aisha87 aisha87 wrote:

JazakAllah for the responses, im glad its not just me being over sensitive.  You both make good points alhamdulillah,

It does expose you, but with tight restrictions inshAllah maybe it could do some good for the Ummah in raising awareness of certain causes and issues.

Salam alaikum sister! May Allah reward you for your efforts in being a better muslim.

Islamically, there is nothing wrong with having a facebook account - its how we use it (or abuse it) that makes it haram or halal.

As muslims - we can follow certain etiquette and still do things. For example, not posting immodest pictures or content etc. [Actually, nobody should post pictures simply because FB is so public!]

If your reason to leave FB is because you no longer want to see unislamic stuff posted by your friends, you could deactivate your account and open a new one with the people you are comfortable with. OR you could simply delete things from FB that you once posted which you now dislike. You can also block certain friends on FB or choose to permanently block/hide their posts - they won't be notified and won't feel dissed.

Facebook is a double-edged sword... Islam aside, one should still be careful on facebook...

So its up to you sister, what you are comfortable with. I hope the options above helped you. Facebook aside - I would advise you not to break all contact with your old friends (unless you have strong reasons to). You should retain your old (halal) relationships... you may be a source of guidance for them inshAllah. It could hurt/confuse them too. All the best to you Sis!

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Ghazzali View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghazzali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2011 at 5:34pm

Aassalamualaikum sister. just disable images in your browser when using facebook.

Internet explorer
  1. Click the "Tools" button.
  2. Select "Internet Options".
  3. Click the "Advanced" tab.
  4. Scroll down to "Multimedia" and uncheck "Show pictures"

Mozilla Firefox

go to "tools">>>"options" >>>"content" >>  uncheck "load images automatic".

You will not see any pictures of anyone. It's a way great way of using facebook islamically. Jazakallah.

The world is a dangerous place to live in, not because of the bad people, but because of the good people who does not do anything about it.
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2011 at 8:37am
Salam All,
I just cancelled my Facebook account. Like I have said before I just don't trust it. It is hard to say who is in control of it. My reason to finally say good bye to Facebook came rather quickly, faster than I thought. Some of my contacts have lately been going through this shameful experience, somewho there appearing on their wall videos that they seem to be recommending to their contects and as if they have watched them while they did not. Upon clicking on that link a really shameful disgusting video is played. These videos are common for Westerners to watch but those of us who would not watch something like that it is shameful, sinful and disgusting.
The worse thing is that you yourself are not aware of this link showing on your wall, only others can see it, so without your knowledge, something (in this case a bad video) is associated to you, your name, and to who you are!
What a shame, Facebook has completely lost my trust, it has confirmed my fears about it, and trust me there is probably a lot more than just this to be careful out there.
May be we can find a more safe and Islamic web community with its own values and purpose, soon!
Hasan
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

W.S. View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2011 at 9:57am
Salam to you!

Originally posted by honeto honeto wrote:

Some of my contacts have lately been going through this shameful experience, somewho there appearing on their wall videos that they seem to be recommending to their contects and as if they have watched them while they did not. Upon clicking on that link a really shameful disgusting video is played.

I believe it's a virus that does that, not Facebook itself. I've seen the same thing a couple of times.

Originally posted by honeto honeto wrote:

The worse thing is that you yourself are not aware of this link showing on your wall, only others can see it, so without your knowledge, something (in this case a bad video) is associated to you, your name, and to who you are!

Since I've been subjected to false accusations and slander, I can understand how you feel about this. However, if a video like that had been posted on your wall, I think that your contacts would've realized that it wasn't you.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic