IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Help understanding  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help understanding

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Averageman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help understanding
    Posted: 28 November 2011 at 7:10am
I have just started reading the Quran and in the future I am sure I will have more questions however before I make a choice on which path I will follow I need to ask this. I just read the definition on the word Jihad and it said that no Muslim solider shall commit any offense against civiliansJihad (JIHAAD)   

It is an Arabic word the root of which is Jahada, which means to strive for a better way of life. The nouns are Juhd, Mujahid, Jihad, and Ijtihad. The other meanings are: endeavor, strain, exertion, effort, diligence, fighting to defend one's life, land, and religion.

Jihad should not be confused with Holy War; the latter does not exist in Islam nor will Islam allow its followers to be involved in

aHolyWar.The latter refers to the Holy War of the Crusaders.Jihad is not a war to force the faith on others, as many people think of it. It should never be interpreted as a way of compulsion of the belief on others, since there is an explicit verse in the Qur'an that says:There is

no compulsion in religionAl-Qur'an: Al-Baqarah (2:256Jihad is not a
defensive war only, but a war against any unjust regime. If such a
regime exists, a war is to be waged against the leaders, but not
against the people of that country. People should be freed from the
unjust regimes and influences so that they can freely choose to
believe in Allah.

Now I understand that all religions have believers that use their own interpretations of what they have read but how can some parts condone this as truth. I know living in the U.S. that the news I receive is usually one sided and that is why I chose this forum to help me understand. Thanks for any guidance that may help me on my path.

Not only in peace but also in war Islam prohibits terrorism, kidnapping, and hijacking, when carried against civilians. Whoever commits such violations is considered a murderer in Islam, and is to be punished by the Islamic state. during wars, Islam prohibits Muslim soldiers from harming civilians, women, children, elderly, and the religious men like priests and rabies. It also prohibits cutting down trees and destroying civilian constructions.
(Source:MSA-USC)

Wardah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2011 at 7:40am
Aslamo alecum Averageman

MashaAllah, reading Quran is the best choice you have made to understand Islam and see you already have enough information about Islam and specially the word Jihad, you are absolutely right about it. Its not all about war and certainly not about any kind of violence at all.

You are a smart guy, I would be more than happy to answer any of your question to understand Islam, if you would have any):): besides there are lots of sisters and brothers in this forum who would love to help you to be a good muslim inshaAllah, just keep reading Quran, you know the book speaks for itself.

Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2011 at 11:10pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJtM1JNt9hQ

good documentary on Jihad in Is;am
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic