IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Infertility and Islam  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Infertility and Islam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Infertility and Islam
    Posted: 07 September 2005 at 2:49pm

I guess because it it something I am dealing with in my personal life I am interested to know how other faiths tackle such a sensitive issue.  My question as always is in two parts. 

1.) How does Islam respond to women who are infertile?  Are they allowed to seek medical help if it is a treatable condition and to what extent can they undergo the treatments?

2.) If treatments are considered haram and the woman cannot give birth, what is the islamic view of adoption?

I am curious about this mainly because I've heard some really harsh statements on women who are barren in Middle Eastern and Southeast Asian countries.

Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2005 at 9:23pm

Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir rajeem,

Bismillah ir rahman ir rahim,

Dear Angela,

I  hope whatever you are dealing with is curable, and may allah bless you with a soleh offspring insha allah.

There can be several reasons for infertility in both men and women, seeking medical assistance in this matter should not be haram in Islam. I dont know every case and every treatment, but can tell you that there are two solutions to this which are not acceptable islamically.

i) Involvement of a surrogate is considered wrong. The reason is, in this case a woman bears a baby which is not from her husband, and this is ethically incorrect in Islam.

ii) Artificial insemination is not permissible, if the material used is from a sperm bank. If however, the woman is artificially inseminated by her husband's sperms, it is permissible.

Adoption is a very noble deed, alhamdulillah. To give an orphan the security of a home, love affection and ubbringing with care is rewarded. The sharia does not permit natural inheritance of property to adopted children, but one can always mention specifics in a will.

I hope this answers some of your concerns.

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2005 at 8:01am
Yes, it does.  With the numerous Tsunami Orphans, I would think giving the Indonesian Muslim children a muslim home would be best.  Not an american christian family.
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2005 at 10:14am

Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir rajeem,

Bismillah ir rahman ir rahim,

May Allah reward all your intensions, efforts, and deeds manifolds. May He increase you and your husband in imaan, and bless your family, insha allah. Ameen.

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
Lameese View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lameese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2005 at 10:35am

You are allowed to adopt but you are not allowed to give the  child your last name. I agree that is it a noble and selfless thing to do.

Also, do not give up on trying to have children. The Dr's told me I would never get pregnant, when I did they said I would never carry full term and I did and had a baby boy. I am pregnant again now and now they are saying, Well, it should go like before.

Dr's do not know everything. That is why they call their job their Practice. They can make educated guesses. Have you been to a fertility experet? Have they done Laprascopic Surgery just to look and see if you have something like endometriosis or adhesions?

Also, I am adopted too :) and I love my family!

Take care and I hope this helps.

Lameese

Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2005 at 12:45pm

I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome....very severe to years of misdiagnosis.  I need expensive medicines and treatments.  Unfortunately in most States and for most insurances, fertility is a luxury and not covered.  My husband and I are too poor to afford the medication, treatments and doctors visits.  So, we are looking into adoption instead.  Our church subsidizes adoptions and it is only 10% of your income to adopt with a minimum of $4000 dollars.  We are going to start the process sometime next year. 

My aunt was barren for most of her marriage, then suddenly at 38 yrs old, she had my cousin Lydia.  One child, that's all, but it was enough for her and my Uncle.  They love their little miracle, which she truly is.  They were not under a doctor's care when Lydia decided to join the family.  In that I will always hold hope.

Maybe I will earn a blessing from God through my actions.  I believe in the end we will be rewarded for our own deeds.  Only he knows why I am tested like this, and I'm sure he has a plan for me that is bigger than I can see now.

Thank you both for your encouraging words.

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2005 at 1:20am

Angela, have you looked ino alternative therapies ? There are stories of women, who've had trouble and once they have gone to get alternative therapies, things clear up and they get pregnant.

I don't have any stories on me but I'm sure if you researched you'll find some.

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2005 at 10:09am

I was recently told of several books that treat PCOS with dietary changes, exercise and herbal supplements.  I was going to try the exercise and dietary changes.  I get concerned with herbal supplements because some of them have side effects that aren't talked about.  For example St John's Wort in prolonged usage increases light sensitivity and should not be taken by people who work outside or are out for long periods of time during the midday.  Trust me, I've been looking for alternatives, but trying to avoid hollow promises of miracle cures and snake oils.  Its a tough call sometimes what to trust when there are no clinical trials backing up claims.  Thanks though, I'll maybe do another search, I haven't done one in about a year.  Maybe there's something new.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic