IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Islamic Arts & Literatures
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Suleyman’s Gallery  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Suleyman�s Gallery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ZamanH View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZamanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suleyman�s Gallery
    Posted: 05 April 2005 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by Angel Angel wrote:

Um....If and when I have a baby I will  

If you read my post carefully, my point was, when you are writing a post or doing daily chores you are probably not  claim to be creating life.

Besides, when you will be producing a baby, you can only claim to be deriving life from pre-existing life. Even the best of the scientists are nowhere near "creating" life.

You probably deserve 10 Noble Prizes if you are able to create life from a scratch.    

Also, even if you are able to CREATE life!!, you will still not be able to claim that you can reproduce the beauty in Allah's creation by depicting animals or humans in photographs, sculpture etc (though you can claim you can create life through your apparatus that you would have invented etc.).

Edited by ZamanH
An enemy of an enemy is a fickle friend.
There will be more women in hell than men.
..for persecution is worse than the slaughter of the enemy..(Quran 2:191)
Heaven lies under mother's feet
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2005 at 7:07am
Originally posted by ZamanH ZamanH wrote:

Therfore, my personal understanding of the matter is that it is unislamic to depict huamn beings and animals in art merely for the sake of pleasure or entertainment (but, for the sake of information/documentation, its alright).

If that is what you understand, it is fine

You might like to research the matter some more, one day when you are able to.

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2005 at 7:03am
Originally posted by ZamanH ZamanH wrote:

When we say, God is everywhere, it clearly indicates that we mean that His influence is everywhere/all-pervasive; I don't understand how can that mean everyone and everything is Allah.

Well, if God influences you, then why can He not influence you to draw, paint, grow flowers, write - which can be for a book, plant trees and etc. So many people say they were influence by God and they give thanks to God.

As for the moon and earth, well I guess that is a little out of reach  

Quote But then, you are not claiming to create life. Are you?? 

Um....If and when I have a baby I will  

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2005 at 6:06am

Bismillah,

The prophet, PBUH, smiled and laughed.  Maybe our discussion seems silly, but silly can be good when it is lighthearted and goodnatured.

Tawheed and Taqwa are excellent endeavors.  May Allah, SWT, lead us to them.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
MOCKBA View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOCKBA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2005 at 1:28am

We, Muslims, seem to be so pre-occupied with small issues making a weighty thesis out of an alphabet book... 

Should we wear pijamas with teddy-bears depicted on them or would it be better to switch to a checkered one despite it resembling crosses... can we allow passports... what about music and movies... and back to pictures... and return to passports and the time passes by and we grow out of our teddy-bear pijamas... and we wonder, where have we gone wrong. 

If only we could strive as hard to establish the meaning of Tawheed deep in our hearts and let it navigate our lives.   

MOCKBA

ZamanH View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZamanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2005 at 1:25am
Originally posted by Angel Angel wrote:

But then if you say that God is everywhere, then everything should be banned, trees, rivers, moon, earth, flowers, reading books to  etc and etc.

When we say, God is everywhere, it clearly indicates that we mean that His influence is everywhere/all-pervasive; I don't understand how can that mean everyone and everything is Allah.

"oh why we might not else well be creative because really that is being like God, God is creative and is creator, so initially we should ban our selves and not do anything, lets face it, just writing this post is being creative I am the creator of this post, so am I acting like God in being a creator?"

But then, you are not claiming to create life. Are you?? 

ZamanH View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZamanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2005 at 1:12am
Originally posted by herjihad herjihad wrote:

To be strict in this belief of not displaying the human form, one would have to only read books and magazines, and maybe just watch news and documentaries on TV.

Yes, that is the what I discern about the matter.

ZamanH View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZamanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2005 at 1:02am

As Salaam Alaikum,

Honestly, I don't know about the subject really well. Sculptures and engravings of human-beings and animals are notable by their absence in medievial islamic buildings in India. I have heard two reasons concerning the prohibition - firstly, to prevent shirk; and secondly, to prevent man from claiming that he can duplicate/recreate the beauty in Allah's creation through depicting human-beings and animals in pictures,paintings etc.

Therfore, my personal understanding of the matter is that it is unislamic to depict huamn beings and animals in art merely for the sake of pleasure or entertainment (but, for the sake of information/documentation, its alright).

Edited by ZamanH
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic