IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - To Muslim women...  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To Muslim women...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To Muslim women...
    Posted: 06 September 2005 at 10:45am

To Muslim women:

I have been looking at some things from the Qu'ran about women. Now I recognize that Islam at the time of its inception was far ahead of most other cultures and religions in the world in terms of women�s rights. But that was 1400 years ago, I am wonder what modern Muslim women say about some quotes in the Qu�ran today:

Quote 2:223 Your women are a tilth for you (to cultivate) so go to your tilth as ye will, and send (good deeds) before you for your souls, and fear Allah, and know that ye will (one day) meet Him. Give glad tidings to believers, (O Muhammad).

-or-

Quote [2:223] Your women are the bearers of your seed. Thus, you may enjoy this privilege however you like, so long as you maintain righteousness. You shall observe GOD, and know that you will meet Him. Give good news to the believers.

Basically the message is the same, that women are only a means to an end for a man. The man thus can have sex with her whenever and however he wants. Now this part puts in some questions:

�so long as you maintain righteousness�

I suspect that this means this:

�send (good deeds) before you for your souls, and fear Allah,�

Not to be righteous in relation to the woman, but to be righteous as in fearing God. Basically if you are a believer of the faith and Allah, you are righteous.

Now is my analysis incorrect? Is there something missing, is there a contradictory quote from the Qu�ran? Or is the spirit of the Qu�ran greater then this one quote? As a Muslim woman how do you feel about a man having privilege?

Please help me understand what Muslim women think�

Edited by nico
Tasneem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tasneem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2005 at 5:13am

Nico wrote:Not to be righteous in relation to the woman, but to be righteous as in fearing God. Basically if you are a believer of the faith and Allah, you are righteous. Now is my analysis incorrect?

Yes, your analysis is incorrect. Fearing Allah means to do the right thing by His creation. If the treatment to the woman is unfair then one cannot be righteous to God. I am giving you a brief reply and there are many articles on the web about the status of women in Islam. I am sure some of the more knowledgeable members here will answer your question God willing.

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2005 at 8:00am

Nico,

Here is a good tafsir that explains verse 2:233:

http://www.tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=2&tid=5921

In fact, you will find there can be much to learn by reading through the whole site www.tafsir.com.

It is always better to get one's knowledge of Islam from reliable, scholarly sources.  People here at this forum are just regular folk, and not scholars at all.

As far as how I feel about "a man having privliage", I do not know where you get such an idea.  Men and women are equal in the sight of Allah, they both have rights concerning the other - like a perfectly complementary pair, completing one another. 

I hope this was helpful.  Do look to reliable sources for your information to avoid much confusion.

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Dayem View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2005 at 9:34pm

So nico, get the correct meaning first, question later.

Best of Luck, Dayem.

"the mooslims! they're heeere!"
LOONWATCH.COM
Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2005 at 5:25am

A means to What end???

�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
firewall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firewall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2005 at 10:10am

Edited by firewall
nico View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2005 at 5:51pm

To those who call me ignorant, I never claimed knowledge so to call me ignorant is incorrect. I came from a point of ignorance and asking the wise for their advice.

Now like I said I am happy that you all have been able to give quotes from other parts of the Qu�ran which tell me the spirit of the Qu�ran in relation to women. But none of you have touched on this part of the quote:

Quote Your women are the bearers of your seed. Thus, you may enjoy this privilege however you like, so long as you maintain righteousness.

That is the part of which I am having trouble with, so mind my ignorance but please help me understand. From what I read from that quote and what you wise people have told me seems to contradict, for instance:

Quote Fearing Allah means to do the right thing by His creation. If the treatment to the woman is unfair then one cannot be righteous to God.

That makes sense to me, but it contradicting the first part of the quote to which a man may enjoy his �priviledge� however you likes�meaning does it not that there are no restrictions. Then the quote supports you but saying if the man remains �righteous� (which means?) do tell me what that means, from what I have been able to read thanks to Tafsir that most likely means not having sex in the anus with a woman, but all other acts of sex with a woman is ok�does this also include rape? If no�why not? Now lets not go stray away to other parts of the Qu�ran where women do have rights�lets stick on this quote so I may be able to understand from obviously wise members of the forum to educate me.

Edited by nico
Deus View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2005 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by nico nico wrote:

Quote Your women are the bearers of your seed. Thus, you may enjoy this privilege however you like, so long as you maintain righteousness.

..but all other acts of sex with a woman is ok�does this also include rape? If no�why not?

Rape is not ok. Why? Well, the verse itself explains it - "so long as you maintain righteousness." Now to define righteousness, we have to look elsewhere in the Quran where righteousness is mentioned. Off the top of my head, I know that rape would be at least be considered adultery, which is definitely unrighteous.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic