IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : New Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Arabic greetings?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Arabic greetings?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lalli36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arabic greetings?
    Posted: 05 September 2011 at 5:17pm
Hello!

I am a new Muslim (VERY NEW! I took my shahadah yesterday) and I've pretty much spent all day yesterday and today with my new sisters. I hear so many arabic phrases that everyone seems to know and I am super lost.

They greet me with Assalamu alaikum and I was told the response to that was a little different. Can someone elaborate?

I know how to use Alhamdulillah and Inshallah, but what about others such as Subhanallah (spelling?) etc. I want to know as many phrases as possible to praise Allah (swt) whenever possible Big%20smile

Can someone also explain the (swt) and (pbuh) and all? I know what they mean...I think, and that it's best to use them, but I am just sooo new. Forgive my newbie-ness!

Lalli

Edited by Lalli36 - 05 September 2011 at 5:20pm
truthseeker100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truthseeker100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 8:45pm

Salam,

Sister, here are some common words. Please refer to the link:

http://www.islamic-dictionary.com/

Assalamu Alaikum

(السلام عليكم)

Grammar: greeting; two words;Peace be unto you. It is a shortened form of the grand greeting: Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh (Peace be unto you and so may the mercy of Allah and His blessings). The greeting is recommended to be only used between Muslims.

Wa Alaikum Assalam (Reply to the greeting)

(و عليكم السلام)

Grammar: word;When a Muslim is greeted with the word 'salam' or its variants, they should reply Wa Alaikum as-Salam - And upon you be peace.

Alhamdulillah

(الحمد لله)

Grammar: phrase; 2 words;Praise be to Allah. This phraze is said in thanks to God.

Inshallah

(إن شاء الله)

Grammar: phrase; 3 words;It could mean any one of the following variations: If Allah (God) wills; When Allah (God) wills; If Allah (God) wishes;

Subhanallah

(سبحان الله)

Grammar: phrase; 2 words;Glory be to Allah (God).

(swt)

(~)

Grammar: acronym;SWT is an abbraviation of Subhanahu wa Ta'ala which means 'Glorious is He and He is Exalted' and it is placed after the name of God like so: Allah (SWT), as a sign of reverence.

(pbuh)

(~)

Grammar: acronym;The PBUH acronym stands for Peace Be Upon Him/Her. It is the English version of (AS). It is usually written after the name of a Prophet.

Edited by truthseeker100 - 05 September 2011 at 9:49pm
And, behold, with every hardship comes ease:
Qur'an 94: 5
truthseeker100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truthseeker100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 8:52pm

Here is another link of Islamic Glossary:

And, behold, with every hardship comes ease:
Qur'an 94: 5
Al Saadiqeen21 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Saadiqeen21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2014 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Lalli36 Lalli36 wrote:

Hello!

I am a new Muslim (VERY NEW! I took my shahadah yesterday) and I've pretty much spent all day yesterday and today with my new sisters. I hear so many arabic phrases that everyone seems to know and I am super lost.

They greet me with Assalamu alaikum and I was told the response to that was a little different. Can someone elaborate?

I know how to use Alhamdulillah and Inshallah, but what about others such as Subhanallah (spelling?) etc. I want to know as many phrases as possible to praise Allah (swt) whenever possible Big%20smile

Can someone also explain the (swt) and (pbuh) and all? I know what they mean...I think, and that it's best to use them, but I am just sooo new. Forgive my newbie-ness!

Lalli

As Salaamu Alaykum = Peace Be upon you - Lalli

Wa Alaykum As Salaam = And on you be peace

Shukran Jaziylan = Thank VERY MUCK

Laa Shukran Ala Waajib = That's all right ( It's my obligation ) ( Reply )

Afwan = That's alright ( A pardoning )

Marhaban Bika = You're welcome

Ahlan Wa Sahlan = Welcome and peace

Ma'am = Yes

Laa = No

Laysa = Not

Min Fadlak = Please

Shukran = Thanks

Ashkuruka = I thank you

Ma As - Salaamah = Good bye ( Go with peace )

Araaka Fiy Maa Ba'd In Shaa - A Allah = See you later if Allah wills

Al - Hamdu Lillah Ala As - Salaamah = Welcome back praise to Allah on you peace

Salamaka Allah ( Thank you + Your peace comes from Allah )

Maa Ismuka = What is your name

Ismiy Ahmad = My name is Ahmad

Uqaddimu Laka Sayyid Mahmuwd = May I introduce Mr . Mahmuwd

Tasharrafnaa = I am very pleased to meet you

Sabaah An - Nuwr = Good morning

Nahaarak Sa 'iyd = Good afternoon to you

Nahaarak Mubaarak = Good afternoon with blessing to you ( Reply )

Masaa -A Al Khayr = Good evening

Masaa A An Nuwr = May your evening be bright ( Reply )

Laylat Sa'Iydah = Good Night

Hal Tatahaddthu Al Lughata Al - Iytaaliyyah = Can you converse in the Italian language ?

Aywah Atahaddathu Qaliylan = Yeah , I can converse a little .

Min Fadlak Takallam Ala Mahlik = Could you please speak more slowly please

Ana Laa Atakallamu Lughataka Jayyidan = I don't speak your language very well .

Min Fadlak Takallam Bisawtin Aaliy = Please could you speak with a higher voice ( louder ) .

Ma Ma'na Hadhaa = What does this mean ?

Ma Ma;na Dhaaka = What does that mean ?

Hal Tafhamu = Do you understand ?

Na ' Am Afhamu = Yes , I understand

Kayfa Haalaka = How are you

Kawiys Al -Hamdu Lillah Wa Anta =

Bikhayr Al -Hamdu Lillah Wa Anta = Very good , Praise to Allah , And you

Al - Hamdu Lillah Mutashukkar Wa Anta = Praise to Allah , Thank you very much , And you

Kawiys Al - Hamdu Lillah = Fine , Praise to Allah ( Reply )

Tayyis Al - Hamdu Lillah = Marvelous , Praise to Allah ( Reply )

Hal Tatakallamu Al - Lughata Al - Injiliyziyyah = Do you speak the english language ?

Na'Am Ana Atakallamu Injiliyziy Wa Firinsiywa = Yes , I speak english and french And .... Asbaaniy Wa Al - Lughatal - Arabiyyata Al - Fusha = Spanish and the language of classical Arabic .

Holy Qur'an 43 ; 3 And I Quote ; Surely We Have Made It An Arabic Qur'an That Perhaps You May Conprehend With Reasoning .

Hopefully this will be some help to you and other's here ....

Edited by Al Saadiqeen21 - 16 April 2014 at 1:08pm
One doesn't go to school let His / her's mind to die , They go to school so that their mind will come alive .

Lachi View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lachi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2014 at 3:50pm
This has been of use to me, Al Saadiqeen21. Shukran.

Edited by Lachi - 17 April 2014 at 3:50pm
Al Saadiqeen21 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Saadiqeen21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2014 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Lachi Lachi wrote:

This has been of use to me, Al Saadiqeen21. Shukran.

Laa Shukran Ala Waajib  < Lachi
One doesn't go to school let His / her's mind to die , They go to school so that their mind will come alive .

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic