IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Science & Technology
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - schmikbob’s questions  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

schmikbob�s questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peacemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: schmikbob�s questions
    Posted: 31 August 2011 at 3:49pm

Dear schmikbob,

I have created this thread where your concerns may be discussed at length.

May Allah guide us all.

Peace
Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2011 at 5:32pm
Wow! Thats so cool...
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
schmikbob View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schmikbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 2:22pm
I think it's rather deceitfull.  For example why is this thread under the Science and Technology section??  The original thread was the appropriate place for my comments.  It was also under Science and Technology.  I think real debate is not what Peacemaker is after.  Rather a simple way to shuffle others off to the side.  "Say, you disagree, why don't you go away?  That would make things oh so much easier for us all."  Maybe I'm wrong.  I figured the science and technology section was the place for discussions related to things like science and technology. 
peacemaker View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peacemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by schmikbob schmikbob wrote:

I think it's rather deceitfull.  For example why is this thread under the Science and Technology section??  The original thread was the appropriate place for my comments.  It was also under Science and Technology.  I think real debate is not what Peacemaker is after.  Rather a simple way to shuffle others off to the side.  "Say, you disagree, why don't you go away?  That would make things oh so much easier for us all."  Maybe I'm wrong.  I figured the science and technology section was the place for discussions related to things like science and technology. 

Hello schmikbob,
Greetings!

In Combined Wonders Of Quran And Astrophysics thread, You said:

�I have found the attempt to find scientific meaning in some rather vague statements in the Quran that have not previously been attributed with this meaning is a recent phenomenon.  It is shocking to me that more people, muslims in particular, don't have a problem with this.�

Therefore, I created this thread in this section where your concerns may be addressed appropriately without diverting that thread. That doesn�t mean that you cannnot take part in that thread. Also, Galen and Hippocrates could not be discussed any further in that thread as the topic was about the combined wonders of the Qur�an and Astrophysics.

Here is my last post from that thread. Your comments are in blue:

--------------------------------------------------------------

Hello schmikbob,
Greetings!

�I would argue that the writings of Galen and Hippocrates stand as an amazing compilation of medical knowledge of their time.  The histories of Herodotus and Thucydides are also authors of books at the pinnacle of writing on the Greco-Persian wars. They do not resort to vagueness or pretend to be anything other than what they are.  Nor does anyone try to interpret them to stuff meaning where it doesn't belong.�

I expected that you would quote works of Astrophysics that don�t contradict with the modern scientific facts. For example, what was prevalent then with regards to the creation of the universe? Anyway, Galen and Hippocrates made great contributions in their times. But, their work was not flawless. For example, Galen�s theories of the circulation of blood were refuted later.

ï¿½I have found the attempt to find scientific meaning in some rather vague statements in the Quran that have not previously been attributed with this meaning is a recent phenomenon.  It is shocking to me that more people, muslims in particular, don't have a problem with this.�

I think this may be discussed in detail in another thread. Briefly speaking, Muslims are capable of appreciating the signs of Allah as they apply both faith and reason (of course, faith dominates) to understand Him and His amazing creations. In the process, faith and science harmonize, but faith overrules science in contradiction. For example, early Muslims had the faith in the entire Qur�an, even though many verses were at odd then with the prevailing science.      

�Also, I feel that the Science and Technology section is a perfect place for a discussion about science in the Quran.�

It seems we are on the same page as long as the discussion takes place for the purposes of learning and understanding. Debating from an atheistic perspective, for example, may be accommodated in the Interfaith section.  

Looking at your interest, I am creating a thread in this section (schmikbob�s questions) where your concerns may be discussed at length:

http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=21665

May Allah guide us all.

Peace

locker_13 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote locker_13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2011 at 5:55am

We are not at all trying to humiliate you or trying to drive you away. I apologise to you if you think that this is decietful. The purpose of this thread is to answer your objections and queries about the scientific facts in the Holy Quran. So this thread is in the right section. It is related to answering your objections of the scientific facts in the Quran. So feel free to ask anything.
schmikbob View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schmikbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2011 at 8:47am
I not say you are deceitfull, locker13.  Peacemaker has just told me that my comments are not appropriate for this Science and Technology thread.  Then when someone else makes virtually the same comment in the same thread it is allowed to remain.  I am curious as to why?
As to "scientific facts" in the Quran, what I see is people making statements about it's divine origin based on it's words being compatible with modern scientific theory.  This is a modern polemic and I wonder why?  A great many books don't have glaring scientific errors and are equally compatible, like Melville's Moby Dick, and nobody is trying to assign divine status to it as a result.     
peacemaker View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peacemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2011 at 9:36am

Hello schmikbob,
Greetings!

�Peacemaker has just told me that my comments are not appropriate for this Science and Technology thread.  Then when someone else makes virtually the same comment in the same thread it is allowed to remain.  I am curious as to why?�

Please post any comment/complaint in the Comments & Complaints section. Please don�t post it anywhere else.

�As to "scientific facts" in the Quran, what I see is people making statements about it's divine origin based on it's words being compatible with modern scientific theory.�

The Qur�an is primarily the book of guidance. Yes, it also has many verses that conform to the modern scientific facts.

locker_13 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote locker_13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2011 at 11:45am

I not say you are deceitfull, locker13.  Peacemaker has just told me that my comments are not appropriate for this Science and Technology thread.  Then when someone else makes virtually the same comment in the same thread it is allowed to remain.  I am curious as to why?
As to "scientific facts" in the Quran, what I see is people making statements about it's divine origin based on it's words being compatible with modern scientific theory.  This is a modern polemic and I wonder why?  A great many books don't have glaring scientific errors and are equally compatible, like Melville's Moby Dick, and nobody is trying to assign divine status to it as a result.     
Dear schmikbob, maybe its possible that you did not read the comments carefully. I did not accuse you of calling me decietful. Peacemaker deemed your comments inappropriate on my topic because my topic dealt with the combined wonders of the Quran and astrophysics. It was put up for discussion of Quran and science. While I was open to critisms, you made some objections of Quran having 'vague' statements which dealt with Quran and scientific mistakes. So this is the right place for you to discuss all your queries and objections of Quran in detail. There is no need to feel offended at all. Please ask your questions and we will try our best to answer you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic