IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Science & Technology
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Combined Wonders Of Quran And Astrophysics  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Combined Wonders Of Quran And Astrophysics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
schmikbob View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schmikbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Combined Wonders Of Quran And Astrophysics
    Posted: 06 September 2011 at 8:35am
I don't get it Peacemaker.  Why start a new thread when this one appears to be the right place for this discussion as you have confirmed with your last post?
peacemaker View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peacemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2011 at 8:17am

Hello Matt Browne,
Greetings!

�The Quran is not a science book and neither is the Bible.�

The Qur�an is not the book of science; it is primarily the book of guidance. The Qur�an contains many verses that exhort believers to ponder upon them.

�Fabricating all kind of connections is total nonsense and a complete waste of time.�

That may be your opinion. But, Muslims are commanded to study, comprehend, and believe in the entire Qu�ran. That means it is not the waste of time for them. It is rather an act of worship for them.

�The Quran does not predict discoveries in astrophysics.�

The bottom line is that it directs believers to read the Qur�an with meaning and thought. Scientifically speaking, you don't nullify anything without any evidence. For example, what evidence do you have that the Qur'an does not predict discoveries in astrophysics?

�We should rather discuss how 7 billion people can get along with each other.�

We should definitely discuss as to how to unify the entire world, how to stop the war and violence etc., and how to prevent them from happening in the first place. There are many sections here, and you may take part to promote this process.

Edited by peacemaker - 06 September 2011 at 8:28am
Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2011 at 7:41am
The Quran is not a science book and neither is the Bible. Fabricating all kind of connections is total nonsense and a complete waste of time. The Quran does not predict discoveries in astrophysics. We should rather discuss how 7 billion people can get along with each other.

A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
schmikbob View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schmikbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 8:43pm
Wow, Sign Reader, I think you must have posted this in error because I certainly am having difficultly finding relevence.
Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by locker_13 locker_13 wrote:

We have no one but to blame ourselves for our current predicament. Blaming America and the CIA for the situations of our country, of us will get us nowhere. Why are we so vulnerable to their attacks? How come they are so easily able to hoodwink and attack us? The problem must lie with us.

I wholeheartedly agree with this...

America needed a foothold for surveillance of the new adversary now  the defunct USSR. It was not revealed by the leaders cuz the truth was too bitter to tell and even bitterer to hear by the hypocritical and characteristically weak masses... being in bondage far too long!

It about time someone should speak about this part of the history, longer the Pakistanis would behave in disingenuous manner longer their sufferings would be!
Only the truth would set them free not the lawlessness and corruption!

Edited by Sign*Reader - 05 September 2011 at 8:25pm
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peacemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2011 at 3:54pm

Hello schmikbob,
Greetings!

�I would argue that the writings of Galen and Hippocrates stand as an amazing compilation of medical knowledge of their time.  The histories of Herodotus and Thucydides are also authors of books at the pinnacle of writing on the Greco-Persian wars. They do not resort to vagueness or pretend to be anything other than what they are.  Nor does anyone try to interpret them to stuff meaning where it doesn't belong.�

I expected that you would quote works of Astrophysics that don�t contradict with the modern scientific facts. For example, what was prevalent then with regards to the creation of the universe? Anyway, Galen and Hippocrates made great contributions in their times. But, their work was not flawless. For example, Galen�s theories of the circulation of blood were refuted later.

�I have found the attempt to find scientific meaning in some rather vague statements in the Quran that have not previously been attributed with this meaning is a recent phenomenon.  It is shocking to me that more people, muslims in particular, don't have a problem with this.�

I think this may be discussed in detail in another thread. Briefly speaking, Muslims are capable of appreciating the signs of Allah as they apply both faith and reason (of course, faith dominates) to understand Him and His amazing creations. In the process, faith and science harmonize, but faith overrules science in contradiction. For example, early Muslims had the faith in the entire Qur�an, even though many verses were at odd then with the prevailing science.      

�Also, I feel that the Science and Technology section is a perfect place for a discussion about science in the Quran.�

It seems we are on the same page as long as the discussion takes place for the purposes of learning and understanding. Debating from an atheistic perspective, for example, may be accommodated in the Interfaith section.  

Looking at your interest, I am creating a thread in this section (schmikbob�s questions) where your concerns may be discussed at length:

May Allah guide us all.

Peace
schmikbob View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schmikbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2011 at 6:46pm
I would argue that the writings of Galen and Hippocrates stand as an amazing compilation of medical knowledge of their time.  The histories of Herodotus and Thucydides are also authors of books at the pinnacle of writing on the Greco-Persian wars.  They do not resort to vagueness or pretend to be anything other than what they are.  Nor does anyone try to interpret them to stuff meaning where it doesn't belong.
I have found the attempt to find scientific meaning in some rather vague statements in the Quran that have not previously been attributed with this meaning is a recent phenomenon.  It is shocking to me that more people, muslims in particular, don't have a problem with this.
Also, I feel that the Science and Technology section is a perfect place for a discussion about science in the Quran.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peacemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2011 at 12:29am

Hello brother schmikbob,
Greetings!

�The Quran of the 7th century added nothing new to science.  It was simply written vaguely enough so it doesn't contradict modern science.  That�s really not a difficult task, as much as you might wish it to be.�

Is there any book of the 7th century (or preceding it) other than the Qur�an that was written so it doesn�t contradict the modern scientific facts? Please provide the evidence.  

�By the way, the list of things that are technically incorrect in the Quran are endless, try googling the subject.  You will be on line for the rest of the year.�

There are hundreds of anti-Islamic web sites on the internet. But, this is a Islamic discussion forum where one is expected to discuss his or her concerns amicably and respectfully for the purposes of learning and understanding.    

As I said in my previous post in this thread, learning happens systematically. Do you believe in God? If you don�t, I think you better start a thread in the interfaith section, say, how to prove scientifically that there is a God or something to that effect.  

Science is not absolute, but it is a tool to understand the magnanimous wisdom of the Creator and the Sustainer of the universe. Science has its limitations, whereas God is perfect.

Last but not least, if there is a contradiction between Islam and science in any way, we take the position that science may still be in a developing stage along the line. Because science changes from time to time, it is not science that defines what Islam is or what Islam should be. However, science may help explain magnificent creations of the Creator (Allah/God).

Brother, I would like to share a beautiful verse here:

Soon will We show them our Signs in the (furthest) regions (of the earth), and in their own souls, until it becomes manifest to them that this is the Truth. Is it not enough that thy Lord doth witness all things?

Qur'an 41:53

May Allah guide us all.

Peace

Edited by peacemaker - 29 August 2011 at 12:47am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic