IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Some questions regarding the Muslim Fatih  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Some questions regarding the Muslim Fatih

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Starter
Starter

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BW77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some questions regarding the Muslim Fatih
    Posted: 18 August 2011 at 7:44am
I have a few questions that I am looking for honest answers from someone who knows and practices their faith.I wondered if someone would be available to answer them for me. So here it goes.

1. What is the basis for truth? Is it just the Qur�n? How does science and archaeology play a part in Islam.

2. What is the Muslim concept for sin? Is everyone born perfect or sinful?

3. What type of assurance does anyone have of reaching heaven or Does Allah ultimately determine that?

4. How does one receive forgiveness and know they have received it?

5. How can a Muslim purify their hearts?

6. If a person dies and goes to Hell,will they stay there forever?

7. What is the Qur�n view of Jesus?

I hope to receive some answer from this and be able to ask a few more questions based on the reply. Hope to hear from someone soon.

semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2011 at 12:08am

Salam/Peace,

I am not a scholar, I consider myself a practicing muslim, here is my understanding about what you ask:

1. The main source of truth are Quran, hadith (the prophet Muhammad's saying or doing). If you don't find on that you use "scholar's fatwa) and common sense. Science is part of Islam. Islam respect science as a tool to understand God's secret. The same token with archeology. However you might find disagreement between science and Islamic view on a certain issue. In this case we consider science is develop, might the current understanding of a matter now can be totally different with other time in the past or the future.

2. Sin is a bad credit that you collected when you disobey God's command, or you do something forbidden (by God). Everyone born perfect, free from sin.

3. Human have a free will, they can choose to obey or disobey God teaching. You can not say believe in God, without proved by your action. So his/her decision that will make them go heaven or hell. However Hell is consider like a "prison" is a temporary place for believer to pay their mistake/sin, in case when they die the mistake/sin have not forgiven by God. After a certain time finally believers will enter to heaven.

4. There is 2 things:
- if your mistake just involve you and God for example you don't fast, or you don't do 5 daily prayers, you just need to as forgiveness to God only and try not repeat the mistake. 
- However if your mistake involving human being, for example you heart somebody, or steal somebody property. Before you ask forgiveness to God, it's required that you ask forgiveness to the people first.
It's difficult to find a "physical" to know your forgiven or not. However we believe God is most merciful most compassionate, he will show to the individual whether his mistake forgive or not buy different sign. Can be by removing the difficulties or less trouble in live, etc etc. And this one different from person to person. However, again,  there is now black and white that you forgiven or not.

5. By obeying God's command and remembering him as much as possible.

6. No, he/she will stay in the hell depend on how much sins he/she has. Hell can be understand as a washing machine to clean yourself from "dirt", so the soap, water and time that used to wash you depend on how dirty you are before you qualify to enter paradise.

7. Quran views Jesus as a son of virgin Marry. Yes Quran mentions that Marry had not been touch by any man. However Quran didn't consider Jesus is the son of God. That's was just a miracle from God, it's similar like the creation of Adam and Eve, that not involve "regular human interaction/intervention/contribution".
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
BW77 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BW77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2011 at 7:10am
Dear Semar

Thank you for your answers as they were explained quite well and extremely informative.If you are available to answer a few more question based on your answer I would be very thankful.

1. How do you know if you have enough good to merit heaven?
2. How do the Muslims view the Christian Bible? Corrupted or perfect? Why?
3. According to your answer in number 6 it sounds like a person get get out of Hell,who determines that and how is it determined.
4. Is it possible that a very good Muslim could go to Hell?
5. Is God knowable in a personal way and if so how does one know Him.

Again thank you for your time and insight,I will look forward to your answers.
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2011 at 11:58am
Welcome to the forum of discussions at islamicity - BW77. Wishing you a happy stay. You have wonderful set of questions beautifully answered by semar.

However would like to add little explanation related to 3rd and 6th.

Criteria to enter heaven is - to believe and do righteous deeds, and recommend one another to the truth, and recommend one another to patience. Belief in Allah swt as only God, and His Prophet Muhammad as His messenger. { This line also answers your 1st question of second set :)

One who enters hell if believes in Allah [islamic monotheism} and His Last messenger, shall not stay their forver. They shall undergo the punishments of the sins and then be sent to heavens. However every muslim enters heaven only by the mercy of Allah swt. None of us enter jannah on the basis of our deeds. None of us eligible.

We muslim know Jesus thru holy Qur'an as one of the messengers of Allah swt sent towards the place called Jerusalem. For your knowledge, BW77, all the messengers of Allah swt were sent towards some limited area, while the final prophet was sent for whole world, untill earth get wrapped up.

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2011 at 12:12pm
4 question second set answer :

A muslim if does n't commit major sins goes thru hell However if he seeks repentance before he dies, all his sins are forgiven. His minor sins are forgiven by the mercy of Allah swt.

2. We do not believe in the Bible, but we believe in the Gospel of Jesus. Bible {word} is not used in Quran. However Qur'an states that "But on account of their breaking their covenant We cursed them (Jews and Christians) and made their hearts hard; they ALTERED THE WORDS FROM THEIR PLACES and THEY NEGLECTED A PORTION OF WHAT THEY WERE REMINDED OF; and you shall always discover treachery in them excepting a few of them; so pardon them and turn away; surely Allah loves those who do good (to others)." (Glorious Quran 5:13)

Likewise there are other such ayaat of Quran which let us know that it was distorted.

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
BW77 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BW77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2011 at 7:01am
Thank you again for your time,further clarification and insight on my questions. From your answers I would like to ask a few more questions, since this is a very interesting topic and that I am able to write to those who have a deeper understanding of their faith.Thank you for quoting the texts from the Qur�n.

1. Apparently there are many verses that speak about those who have corrupted the gospels, are there any original texts from the gospels by which we can compare with the ones that are said to be corrupted?

2. Does the Qur�n say that Jesus is the word of God and the Spirit of God? If so what does that mean in Islam?

3. How does a Muslim know they are loved and accepted by God on earth. This relates to my previous question about is God personally knowable and how?

4.What does the Qur�n say anything about heaven for the faithful women. What waits for them there?

I really appreciate the time and answers that have been given and look forward to anyone who could help me with this.

BW77
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2011 at 12:23am
Hello BW77

Apologies for not turning up and writing to you. Since we are into last days of auspicious islamic month, we are very busy into it. Your questions need very detailed replies. Insha Allah, by next week shall answer your post. Hope and wish you shall wait untill then

Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2011 at 7:31am
Originally posted by BW77 BW77 wrote:

Thank you again for your time,further clarification and insight on my questions. From your answers I would like to ask a few more questions, since this is a very interesting topic and that I am able to write to those who have a deeper understanding of their faith.Thank you for quoting the texts from the Qur�n.

1. Apparently there are many verses that speak about those who have corrupted the gospels, are there any original texts from the gospels by which we can compare with the ones that are said to be corrupted?

Hi BW77!

As Muslims, one way we assume the text is corrupted is when it deviates from the Message of Allah. As Muslims, we believe that since Day 1 (i.e. Adam) God has taught us to worship one God i.e. Him. So texts that talk of Jesus being son of God etc will be considered corrupted by us [an example]. It is possible that the texts which have a common message as the Qur'an could be uncorrupted! God Knows best...

Also, in order for the Texts to be uncorrupted, they should not have been written by a man - so any Texts written by Saints etc, should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Also, I think you have a 'red letter' bible, in which the actual words of Jesus are in red font - which indicates even to Christians that the non-red font is not Jesus' words... chances are, they are probably corrupted. (I hope that did not offend you if you are Christian).

So it would be difficult to say which parts or texts are uncorrupted, and whether we do have texts that are untouched. We can only assume based on our research, historic accuracies etc.

Quote 2. Does the Qur�n say that Jesus is the word of God and the Spirit of God? If so what does that mean in Islam? 

Well, the Qur'an speaks of Jesus as a Prophet of God, and that He sent down his Word (i.e. a gospel/book) upon Jesus. But there is no mention of Jesus being the spirit of God. Jesus was a prophet similar to Prophet Muhammad - i.e. a mortal human being. There are numerous verses that talk about Jesus peace be upon him, here is a compilation of all verses in Qur'an pertaining to Jesus, hope it helps:

http://www.cyberistan.org/islamic/jesusq.htm#religion

Quote 3. How does a Muslim know they are loved and accepted by God on earth. This relates to my previous question about is God personally knowable and how?

Well, our inner meter tends to tell us if we are doing the right thing... but then again there are many people who have a broken moral  compass, so it might not work for them!!!

There is no one-line or one-word answer to how we can gain the love of God. It has to be through our intentions (foremost) and then our actions. There are numerous verses in the Qur'an that mention how Allah loves so & so, or such & such deeds. Hence if a Muslim is striving to perform those deeds and measure up to the standard set by God - they will gain the love of God. A few examples from Islamic texts:

1. And My servant does not draw near to Me with anything more loved to Me than the religious duties I have obligated upon him. And My servant continues to draw near to me with nawaafil (supererogatory) deeds until I Love him. When I Love him, I am his hearing with which he hears, and his sight with which he sees, and his hand with which he strikes, and his foot with which he walks. Were he to ask [something] of Me, I would surely give it to him; and were he to seek refuge with Me, I would surely grant him refuge. [Hadith from Bukhari]

2. �Truly Allah (God) loves those who turn to Him in repentance� [Qur'an: Al-Baqarah: 222]

3. �Allah (God) loves those who put their trust in Him.� [Qur'an Ali 'Imran: 159]

4. �Verily, Allah (God) loves those who acts justly.� [Qur'an Al Ma'idah: 42]

And there are many more attributes that God says He loves, mentioned in Hadith (Prophetic Sayings) and the Quran. So if we are performing those deeds [with sincere intentions] then we are gaining the Love of God. If you would like to read more, this is where I got the verses from:

http://msmwestmidlands.wordpress.com/2009/02/19/steps-to-gain-allahs-love/

So a muslim, depending on his/her situation or role in society can gain the love of God in numerous ways!

Quote This relates to my previous question about is God personally knowable and how?

Of course a person can feel an intimate closeness to God, and how we perceive Him is different. The hadith I related above describes it nicely, that when we 'really know God' - whatever we do, we do as if we could see Him... one can also 'know' God by understanding the 99 attributes of Allah. Also, God says Himself:

I am as My servant thinks I am. I am with him when he makes mention of Me.
If he makes mention of Me to himself, I make mention of him to Myself; and
if he makes mention of Me in an assembly, I make mention of him in an
assembly better than it. And if he draws near to Me an arm�s length, I draw
near to him a fathom�s length. And if he comes to Me walking, I go to him at
speed. [
Hadith al-Buhkari (also by Muslim, at-Tirmidhi and Ibn-Majah)]

Edited by Chrysalis - 28 August 2011 at 7:35am
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic