IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Islam # Taoism  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Islam # Taoism

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ping_an View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ping_an Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2011 at 12:37am
I just wanted to add some insight into "Islamispeace's" question on the translation of "Shang Di"

I am by no means an expert on Taoism or Islam, but both "speak" to me in different ways, though I sway more towards Taoism. Inshallah this will shed some light and I hope that I will be forgiven for any mistakes or inaccuracies in my account. Allahu Allem!

Shang Di is indeed mostly "translated" as "The Emperor in Heaven" or somewhere along those lines. In Taoism, God is considered more of a "force." Think about it this way: If you did not have a "Name" for God, like if the words Allah and God did not exist, how would you describe "him" ?

As pointed out earlier, in Taoism, God is formless. I believe Islam may agree to that. But regardless, what do you imagine when you hear the word God or Allah? (I am sorry if this is offensive, as I think some people will consider that Haram, to give God an image?) But I am just using this as an example to make my point and not to cause offence.
Coming from a Culturally Christian background (I am not actually Christian,) as kids or even adults, when they hear the word "God," they may think of someone sitting on a throne.. maybe with a long beard, something like that right?

By doing so, they have personified God. Another example, God is genderless, but many texts will say "He," when referring to God, even when you speak many people will do this. Taoism does not say it is neither right or wrong. Because the barrier here is language itself.. we try to refer to "Him" soomehow, without always saying Allah/God.

Also pointed out earlier (I don't know the exact quote by Taji) but it's something like "You can describe the Tao, but it is not the true Tao." It is trying to say that you can use all your words to try and describe what God is, but you will never be able to describe God entirely, because God is so great, greater than our language will ever be. But still you must try.

So, in Chinese culture, many people will refer to God as "Shang di," and it is when that person has personified the Tao. Others will say "Tian," meaning sky or in this case, Heavens. The "Heaven" in this case, is not limited to Paradise, or what is considered Heaven in the English language. It is referring more to the "Cosmic Energy" (God,) the "Force" which is behind the universe and all creation.

As for iAsk's original topic of this thread, I am confident that Taoism indeed mentions a heaven and a hell, though it's definition may vary from Christian or Islamic definitions of them. However, there are several schools of thought in Taoism and unfortunately I do not feel as confident in answering in that department. For example, one school says that it is very possible for your soul to redeem itself and leave Hell, but how I am not sure. As you see, this is contrary to what Islam says on the subject.

But in my personal experience, I have found there to be more similarities than not and indeed Taoism and Taoists will welcome anyone to be Taoists, without giving up their religion. As it is the majority view Taoism is not a religion per se, there is no conversion. The only requirement is that you believe in The One, which created the universe and everything in it, whether you call it God or Allah or Shang Di. I say that it is the only "Requirement," but of course you are recommended/Highly Encouraged try your best to follow how Dao De Ching (and other txts) says to lead a good life as a good person. Prayer and Cultivation is also a major part, but I do not wish to get toooo far off topic!

Again Allahu Aalem, I hope I did not mislead anyone and be forgiven for any mistake. I hope we all benefit from our discussion!
Taiji_Tao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taiji_Tao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2011 at 4:34pm
Thank you for your patience.

Section 54:
What is firmly established cannot be uprooted.
What is firmly grasped cannot slip away.
It will be honored from generation to generation.
Cultivate (God's) Virtue in your self,
And (God's) Virtue will be real.
Cultivate it in the family,
And (Gods) Virtue will abound.
Cultivate it in the village,
And (Gods) Virtue will grow.
Cultivate it in the nation,
And (Gods) Virtue will be abundant.
Cultivate it in the universe,
And (Gods) Virtue will be everywhere.
Therefore look at the body as body;
Look at the family as family;
Look at the village as village;
Look at the nation as nation;
Look at the universe as universe.
How do I know the universe is like this?
By looking!

Edited by Taiji_Tao - 24 November 2015 at 5:59pm
Taiji_Tao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taiji_Tao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2011 at 4:27pm
I would like to post two more quotes for mutual understanding.

Section 53:
If I have even just a little sense,
I will walk on the main road (Way of God) and my only fear will be of straying from it.
Keeping to the main road is easy,
But people love to be sidetracked.
When the court is arrayed in splendor,
The fields are full of weeds,
And the granaries are bare.
Some wear gorgeous clothes,
Carry sharp swords,
And indulge themselves with food and drink;
They have more possessions than they can use.
They are robber barons.
This is certainly not the Way of Tao (God).
Taiji_Tao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taiji_Tao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2011 at 4:22pm
2nd quote:

Section 23:
To talk little is natural.
High winds do not last all morning.
Heavy rain does not last all day.
Why is this?  Heaven and earth!
If Heaven and earth cannot make things eternal,
How is it possible for man?
He who follows Tao (God)
Is at one with Tao (God).
He who is virtuous
Experiences (God's) Virtue.
He who loses the Way (God's Way)
Feels lost.
When you are at one with the Tao (God),
The Tao (God) welcomes you.
When you are at one with (God's) Virtue, The Virtue is always there.
When you are at one with loss,
The loss is experienced willingly.
He who does not trust enough
Will not be trusted.

Taiji_Tao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taiji_Tao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2011 at 4:17pm

Edited by Taiji_Tao - 24 November 2015 at 5:58pm
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2011 at 1:29pm
As-salaam alaikum.  Thanks for the recommendations.  I will certainly look into them. 

Since you accept the Islamic creed, I guess the next relevant question is do you actually practice Islam as your religion?  Do you believe that Islam is the only religion that God (Tao) will accept now that it has been revealed.  The Quran states that the prophets who were sent in the past were sent to their own people.  Muhammad (pbuh) on the other hand was sent to all mankind, so Islam is a universal religion.   

Also, taoist has raised some objections to some of your claims.  I would be interested in how you respond to them, since this is your area of expertise. 
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

taoist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taoist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2011 at 9:43pm
Taiji Tao please show me in the Tao De Ching where it shows you how to get to heaven.  Also Islam is peace read the Tao de Ching for yourself and see if you find any way they could be compatible .  I can,t.
Taiji_Tao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taiji_Tao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2011 at 1:41pm

Edited by Taiji_Tao - 24 November 2015 at 5:57pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic